• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Digital Camera's

thanks guys...if I edit a photo with captions, I use powerpoint...import the picture into power point...add my text...select all....gourp...copy....open draw and paste...that may be driving a thumbtack with a sledge hammer, but that is the way I learned to do it...

I don't like word either Mike...

I have to get a macro lens now for the closeups....wonder what the wife will say when I tell her...........

want long batterylife? go look for a 2nd hand Konica Minolta Dynax 5D... I have one and get about 600 pics (20% w. flash) per charge.
Bit bulky to lug around all the time tho...

If you want good battery life, go get a 35mm film camera. They are inexpensive now because of digital, a negative will give you about 20meg pictures when scanned. My digital is 6 meg.

I use both dig and film and, if what I am photographing is important and is not time-sensitive, I use film. I get the negatives back with a CD from the processor.

Dig gets about 300 photos w/4 aa batteries, film gets 5000-7000 photos for 2 aa batteries.

I think this thread got a little off track. Batteries are not a problem since they are rechargeable and I have a spare.

I am to the point now that I need to know about macro lenses for close ups and recommendations for back lighting to reduce shadows.

Macro Lens Test

I looked at Macro Lenses and was amazed at the cost of lenses (haven't bought any in 25 years). What I wanted was about 700 USD so I am trying another cheaper option. It is a 10X Macro from Opteko, platinum series "High Definition" lens. Very easy to use...adaptor fits right over the telephoto lens on the camera. I am trying it out today so look out, probably a lot of close ups coming.

Here is my first try using the macro. This is the Orange Hab I cut back Dec 5th.

Orange Hab Stalk...it is 3/4" diameter, I should have a tree by next year.

it eats batteries b/c of all the megapixels, the lower qualities use up much less and are perfectly fine for snapshots. oh and no camera comes with significant on board memory anymore, thats the standard so they don't even mention it.
the megapixels are important for blowing up and close up, esp with that crap digital zoom. my sister's really into photography and she super loves the canons altogether (she also takes pictures of snowflakes...), they'll certainly fit older lenses so check some pawn shops or used tech stores. but what you have now seems to be working pretty good.

GrumpyBear said:
they'll certainly fit older lenses so check some pawn shops or used tech stores. but what you have now seems to be working pretty good.

Great Idea, I had not thought of pawn shops and there are several in West Fort Worth.

Here is another blowup...if you will look at the pic above, the very center of the picture is very focused (sp?). I cropped to that area and am amazed at the detail....

I can't wait until I start getting flowers of all the peppers....

For my artwork and photography I use a Sony Cybershot (super steadyshot 5.1 mega-pixels) and find this works great....the thing I like is that you can adjust the white balance for the light source you are using, and it auto-adjusts to keep the picture steady if you are just snapping pics without a camera stand...it also doesn't eat batteries as quickly as some of the other cameras I've seen. Also, for digital manipulation of your pics, PhotoShop is excellent and inexpensive (rather than buying the complete CreativeSuite 2).

AlabamaJack said:
Here is another blowup...if you will look at the pic above, the very center of the picture is very focused (sp?). I cropped to that area and am amazed at the detail....

see, all those megapixels are useful! hee. seriously tho, i'm totally jealous. the only digital camera i have is on my phone... i can't wait to have an income.

GrumpyBear said:
see, all those megapixels are useful! hee. seriously tho, i'm totally jealous. the only digital camera i have is on my phone... i can't wait to have an income.

yup, the megapixels work...and by the way, don't worry, you will get there eventually, it just takes patience and a goal...heck, it took me almost 40 years to grow up....:lol:

well this major is the one that's gonna to stick, but at least i'm gonna have a hell of a degree after all this. but then there's grad school. but after all that i should be hella employable.

Couple of yrs ago, I got my wife a Ricoh digital camera to take on a hiking holiday, when it died we replaced it with a Krapdak Easyshare

DO NOT BUY!!
1. built to price- not quality. We have now sent it back twice in 8 months -- the zoom doesnt function properly

2. the software when installed does not have an option to not load at startup, so it slows the computer down.

As to editing, i currently use ArcSoft which comes free with Canon cameras!. It has the basic tasks, so it is pretty good for what i do.

Uninstall that Kodak software. That stuff just takes over your computer. I've been using the Picassa from Google. It'll suck the pics off your camera just fine and you can edit them as well.

Back