• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Disaster strikes!

I was greeted this morning with this sad site. :(

Disaster1.jpg

Disaster2.jpg

Disaster3.jpg

Man, that really sucks. I'm sure the plant will recover somewhat and now you have an excuse to eat some early pods. Might have to cage it in the future. It takes an impressive plant to have that kind of failure though.

very sad SS....very sad...like was said above, this gives you an excuse to eat some early pods...I had a branch of a red savina break off last year and it had probably 200 pods on it...I made green sauce with it...the plant totally recovered with new growth sprouting and by the end of the season, you couldn't tell the branch broke...

are those Fataliis or Bhuts/Nagas? really looks like a Bhut to me...

inolan22 said:
:(...That's never a good thing to see. Who/What was the culprit?

Too much pod weight combined with a strong wind last night was more than the naga branch could withstand.

bigt said:
Man, that really sucks. I'm sure the plant will recover somewhat and now you have an excuse to eat some early pods. Might have to cage it in the future. It takes an impressive plant to have that kind of failure though.

Not so impressive anymore. :(

Was that just from the weight of the pods or was there weather and animals involved? Sorry for the damage. I know the feeling. :(

Oops answered my question already.

I am sorry for your loss Silver Surfer that is the chance you take when your plants has that many pods on. You should try to help support the branch when it's that heavy and still green. That plant was huge for this early in the season, maybe over fertilized. You will still get plenty of nagas off that plant even though it looks lopsided. Shit happens.

AlabamaJack said:
very sad SS....very sad...like was said above, this gives you an excuse to eat some early pods...I had a branch of a red savina break off last year and it had probably 200 pods on it...I made green sauce with it...the plant totally recovered with new growth sprouting and by the end of the season, you couldn't tell the branch broke...

are those Fataliis or Bhuts/Nagas? really looks like a Bhut to me...

Naga Morrich

Do you think some of the pods will ripen if I hang the broken branch upside down or maybe place it in a pail of water?

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
I am sorry for your loss Silver Surfer that is the chance you take when your plants has that many pods on. You should try to help support the branch when it's that heavy and still green. That plant was huge for this early in the season, maybe over fertilized. You will still get plenty of nagas off that plant even though it looks lopsided. Shit happens.

It was large but a second year plant. Yeah, hindsight is 20/20, I'll know better next time. I also have nagas started from seed this year, so pods aren't a problem, just hated to see this one delimbed.

Put the pods in a paper bag and they will ripen quicker. You can even add a banana or apple to help add ethylene gas. I had the same thing happen to a huge red savina branch, and most ripened just by hanging the branch in a closed dark closet, but the paper-bag trick should work faster

That one lost branch has more pods on it than all my plants together. I wish I was in Bama! I'll tell my brother in law that we will move in...:lol:

Silver_Surfer said:
Do you think some of the pods will ripen if I hang the broken branch upside down or maybe place it in a pail of water?

I did a broken jalapeno branch in water last year and had some success. Some of them were near enough to redden up. No idea if it works with nagas.

POTAWIE said:
Put the pods in a paper bag and they will ripen quicker. You can even add a banana or apple to help add ethylene gas. I had the same thing happen to a huge red savina branch, and most ripened just by hanging the branch in a closed dark closet, but the paper-bag trick should work faster

Thanks POTAWIE, I'll give it a whirl.

Armadillo said:
That one lost branch has more pods on it than all my plants together. I wish I was in Bama! I'll tell my brother in law that we will move in...:lol:

Forecast for the next several days is mid to upper 90s with sweltering humidity. Still wanna move? :)

caroltlw said:
I did a broken jalapeno branch in water last year and had some success. Some of them were near enough to redden up. No idea if it works with nagas.

Some maybe are close to turning, but many aren't. The branch was still blooming and setting pods.

Wow what a horrible site, but even better is the fact that you had tooooo many fruit on it. I can only hope that I have that problem one day.

Man that bites big time!

If it were mine I think I'd stick it in a gallon jug of water with a little bit of bloom booster. Remove 50% of the leaves. Then set it someplace where it can still get some sun and wish for the best.

Good luck SS.

patrick said:
Man that bites big time!

If it were mine I think I'd stick it in a gallon jug of water with a little bit of bloom booster. Remove 50% of the leaves. Then set it someplace where it can still get some sun and wish for the best.

Good luck SS.

Sounds like it would almost be like cloning the branch? Is that possible? I've never taken a cutting from a plant and grown roots from it before so not sure. If it would work that would be pretty sweet and you would end up with a 2nd plant.

Ohh so preventable :(

Alwayse tie the larger stems to a support steak! Even if they are not close to it, long strings going across like spider web may look ugly but it will save you countless times!

Back