• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Distilled water for seed starting?

How many of you use distilled water to start your seeds? Do you think it's necessary? I have always used distilled water in my propagator but just used filtered water out of the fridge the other day when I started my Chinense peppers. Hopefully it doesn't make any difference.

I always use distilled water for my seeds.I love my peppers, and I want only the best for them. I'm fairly sure that filtered water would work just fine. I don't think tap from time to time will hurt them as long as you dont live in West Virginia.

I use tap water but leave it for a few hours to sit before I use it, so chlorine will evaporate.

Proud Marine Dad said:
I have read that our water has chloramine and chlorine is no longer used so sitting out doesn't gas off the chloramine.

Chlorine is most common, but chloramine is used in some locations. You can call or e-mail your local water municipality to find out what they use.

If you are concerned, you can eliminate chloramine instantly with the addition of 30 mg of sodium metabisulfite or 35 mg of potassium metabisulfite per gallon of water. You can get these chemicals from wine or beermaking suppliers.

orangehero said:

Chlorine is most common, but chloramine is used in some locations. You can call or e-mail your local water municipality to find out what they use.

If you are concerned, you can eliminate chloramine instantly with the addition of 30 mg of sodium metabisulfite or 35 mg of potassium metabisulfite per gallon of water. You can get these chemicals from wine or beermaking suppliers.
If he gets water from the same reservoir that SF uses, and that seems very likely, then it's chloramine.

We have a small reverse osmosis purification system, so I use that water. Yes, it`s very, very inefficient. If I didn`t, I`d use bottled water for seed starting/early growth. Once they get 2 true leaves, they get tap water. 

I have yet to have issues with my method therefore will continue as long as my yearly water report remains the same/similar to previous year. Best of luck which ever method you choose. Pretty sure the rain water is worse in plenty of locations. :)

I've heard of using distilled for a seed pre-soak but have actually read and heard using distilled for seedlings/plants isn't the best. Remember distilled has been purified removing all of the bad things it's also had every single mineral/good thing removed. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison using distilled vs tap vs filtered. I have a reverse osmosis in my sink that I used for seedlings, supposed to be rich in oxygen but once the plants get outside it's straight from the hose.

Depends. If you are using filtered water from your tap, and your tap water is softened, the filter will most likely not remove the sodium ( I know a Brita filter does not). And you do not want to water plants with softened water. One time wouldn't hurt.

I travel to the frozen lakes of Antarctica, Lake Joyce specifically, and bring back water that is free of all pollution yet full of minerals to start my babies

I bought some distilled water at the supermarket earlier and poured some in the propagator.
Patrick, that is interesting as I have never read that. I would like to look into it.
I don't see where the minerals in water would be necessary for a seedling as you are only trying to germinate the seed and get it going and the soil has enough of what it needs.
I think the main reason for distilled water is to make sure there is nothing like a bacteria that could harm the seedlings. At least that is the impression I get.

orangehero said:

A pinch of vitamin C will nuke either chlorine or chloramine.  http://www.sfwater.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=4125

Note that simply leaving a bottle to stand will work with chlorine, but perhaps not as quickly as you might like.
Pepperjack91 said:
I always use rainwater when I can. If not then filtered water

"Rain?"  What's that?

Back