• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

disease Distinct brown markings spreading through Peppers/ Massive leaf drop

I noticed about a week ago a bit of browning on the leaves of an already struggling plant, it seems to be pretty uniform along the leaf structure which to me is the biggest difference from the common mildews I've found online. It seems to be spreading throughout my other plants to various degrees. One of my chocolate scorpions dropped half its leaves in a day then was completely barren the next. I've never had such a severe level of dropping let alone so quickly. I've isolated as much as possible but it is a bit difficult as its 100 degrees everyday in Texas right now and I only have a limited amount of shaded area.
Last fertilizing was with fox farm big bloom 12 days ago. Given the rise in issues and a possible over fertilization I've stepped it back. I added a micronutrient blend called Jackpot which contains 7 of the "main" micronutrients based on the plant in the first pictures potential condition. All the plants received the micronutrient blend 5 days ago. I've been watering daily in the afternoon given the heat and sometimes if some of the plants are drooping ill lightly water in the morning before work. Based on the "feel test" in that timespan they seem to be drying out well. As mentioned earlier we've been predominantly over 100 for the past couple weeks so theyre getting morning sun ~6 hours then shade beginning mid day.

I was also adding CalMag previously but that did not seem to prevent the leaf curling I began to see in the scorpions (which are also the primary plants affected currently) Since adding the micro blend I started to see improvement in curling to some extent but then the leaf drop began, about 2 days after micro addition.

IMG_3848.JPG

This is the plant i believe it began with. She has had some serious issues with Chlorosis as you can see but its easiest to see due to the yellowing

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

Day 1, slight leaf curling but otherwise healthy
IMG_3851.JPG

Day 2, no leaves left

Last edited:
I believe it's nute burn.

Do you follow what Fox Farms recommends, or less? Because, I've heard FF ferts are strong.
I follow the recommendations and mix in a 3 gallon bucket that normally covers all 15 plants in 2 fills. I went back out this afternoon and more leaves have dropped from other plants as well. After looking at some of the reviews of the Jackpot Micronutrients some people mentioned the standard dose being way too much and it seems the plants that i focused on a bit more are the ones really suffering. Most of the peppers are in trays to help with water retention during the summer and it would seem that sitting in a strong fert could definitely causes some issues

This doesn't look like a pest (virus, worms, aphids, snails etc), I am thinking nutrient issue. Overfertilization with one nutrient can cause disruption of uptake of another. Thus, given the suspected overfeeding this could as well have a component of lack of a nutrient. That interplay is not easy to diagnose accurately.

My suggestion:
1. Gently lift the plant from the soil.
2. Use a bread knife to cut away much of the roots. A remaining root ball the size of an orange is fine.
3. Hose the root ball thoroughly, all soil/dirt must be gone. Cut away the distal plant parts.
4. Plant it in new soil, one which is poor in nutrients. Do not expose to too much direct sun.
5. In two weeks or once you see little new leaves forming distally add one tomato spike (or similar) per plant. Leave it at that for a month.
6. Report here.

I noticed about a week ago a bit of browning on the leaves of an already struggling plant, it seems to be pretty uniform along the leaf structure which to me is the biggest difference from the common mildews I've found online. It seems to be spreading throughout my other plants to various degrees. One of my chocolate scorpions dropped half its leaves in a day then was completely barren the next. I've never had such a severe level of dropping let alone so quickly. I've isolated as much as possible but it is a bit difficult as its 100 degrees everyday in Texas right now and I only have a limited amount of shaded area.
Last fertilizing was with fox farm big bloom 12 days ago. Given the rise in issues and a possible over fertilization I've stepped it back. I added a micronutrient blend called Jackpot which contains 7 of the "main" micronutrients based on the plant in the first pictures potential condition. All the plants received the micronutrient blend 5 days ago. I've been watering daily in the afternoon given the heat and sometimes if some of the plants are drooping ill lightly water in the morning before work. Based on the "feel test" in that timespan they seem to be drying out well. As mentioned earlier we've been predominantly over 100 for the past couple weeks so theyre getting morning sun ~6 hours then shade beginning mid day.

I was also adding CalMag previously but that did not seem to prevent the leaf curling I began to see in the scorpions (which are also the primary plants affected currently) Since adding the micro blend I started to see improvement in curling to some extent but then the leaf drop began, about 2 days after micro addition.

IMG_3848.JPG

This is the plant i believe it began with. She has had some serious issues with Chlorosis as you can see but its easiest to see due to the yellowing

IMG_3850.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

Day 1, slight leaf curling but otherwise healthy
IMG_3851.JPG

Day 2, no leaves left
this is a bactierial infection caused by xanthomonas campestris. it is one of the most destructive diseases for pepper plants. this disease is most comonly found in the eastern part of america. it is a rod-shaped bactiria can live in not just the plant but the brush and the seed for years. there are multiple strains but they will all devistate the plant causing it to drop its leaves. once the plant has the desease it is basically toast. once the plant has the disease it is impossible to stop it. your plant is dead. im sorry.
im going to help you out and give you tricks so you can stop this from ever happening again.

Last edited:
So after a combination of methods I am happy to report all of the affected plants are back on track and all except one have fruits set ready for the "second stage" of summer here in Dallas. I followed @ChewbaccaTums guidance minus the tomato spike and used my normal soil mix without any nutrient additions aside from the microlife. Based on the outcomes I'm basically certain it was a nutrient overload due to the extreme heat in combination with my usual fertilizing schedule. Next year during the 100+ times ill definitely cut out all nutrient addition. We did have an insanely hot and dry summer. I mostly came back to report the success from advice received here but also to warn others to not always assert their opinions so strongly. Had I fully followed some of the other advice given i would've lost all of my plants unnecessarily. There was a safe route even if the bacterial option were true so I would recommend a little bit of temperance in the future. Very few of us are anywhere near experts hence the need for community support.

...I mostly came back to ... warn others to not always assert their opinions so strongly....

You know what is said about opinions....

It's your job to evaluate them. Sounds like you did well.

Pics of the recovered plants would be nice.

Glad things worked out for you.

Back