• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DIY Bottom Heat Table

Hello everyone. This is how I built my bottom heat seed starting table. This table will hold four 72 cell flats at a time and will hold a very consistent temp.

I got on Craig's list and found me two waterbed heaters for twenty dollars. These came with thermostats and both work.

IMG_20110101_220324.jpg

Once I tested em out I took the wooden shelf out of the shelving unit and started to glue up the sides.

IMG_20110103_160729.jpg

Once all of the sides were glued and dried my lovely daughter Joselyn helped me fill it half full of sand. Onset we had it half full we placed the waterbed heater in and filled it the rest of the way up.

IMG_20110104_175411.jpg

Once we had it all filled we placed a top on and used some cheap floor tile and tiled the top to help protect from spilled water or dirt.

IMG_20110104_182807.jpg

IMG_20110104_183646.jpg

Once we had it all together we tested out some cabbage. I used cabbage just because the seeds are cheap. I did not want to cook any good pepper seeds.

IMG_20110104_184256.jpg

I have 6500k lighting hanging over the table. I built this in early January and haves started quite a few seeds on it already. Right now I have it off. I need more room in the grow room before I can start it back up. Here are some peppers that I stared about four weeks ago. This is my first real year of starting SEED,and my second year if gardening.

1297547842370.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have found so far the my seeds prefer starting mix in cell trays better than jiffy pellets.

Nice job. How even a temp does your table hold? I have just a single 72 planter on a germ mat. I found out yesterday that the outer cells run 80-81.5 and the very middle runs 89-90 when the thermostat is set to 83! I had the temp probe in an outer cell, now I put it in the center. I'm afraid I was going to cook my babies.....

Looks great! Good thing about it is you can turn the heaters off and use the space to grow your babies once they sprout!

Nice touch of adding the flooring tile.

Wish i lived in lincoln nebraska, down the street from some guy named mad hatter, our daughters could play together, we could talk pepper growing.....i could borrow your tools....doh ..... guess that ended our short term friendship!

looks like you have everything right, what might be a nice added touch for the containers is to find a cheap tote or something that you could bottom feed the plants.

do they even sell waterbeds anymore? mine is buried deep in storage, put it away when i grew up(last year).

Nice touch of adding the flooring tile.

Wish i lived in lincoln nebraska, down the street from some guy named mad hatter, our daughters could play together, we could talk pepper growing.....i could borrow your tools....doh ..... guess that ended our short term friendship!

looks like you have everything right, what might be a nice added touch for the containers is to find a cheap tote or something that you could bottom feed the plants.

do they even sell waterbeds anymore? mine is buried deep in storage, put it away when i grew up(last year).

Thanks for the props guys. I plan on making one more table like this for next year so I can sprout all my little guys at once. Or at meats in a couple if batches heheh.

The table keeps pretty even heat. There is a little difference in the edges than the middle but not all that much.

I wish you did live closer lol. My daughter does need a play mate and I need more pepper growing buddies lol.

How big a pad do you need? You can buy heat tape at Lowes/HD for around $30-40 for a twenty foot one. Attatch that to the back of something that will transmit heat to the other side, plug it into a thermostat.

Wallah! For the price of two small ones you will have one big enough for 6x6ft :woohoo:

Cool, great minds think alike. I have a nice potting table i made and was gonna do that this year but got lazy. Next year it will be running.

I had great success with the new table this year. Now I just need to decide on a good seed starting mix the a good potting soil to up pot in and I will be set. I may even try and start some beans an cucumbers on it hehe.

Back