beer DIY Brew Gear

RocketMan said:
Thinking I'll make a second one without the temp control for boiling wort and use this one to heat and hold water in the HLT. Then I'll get an element rated at 1200 or so to put on this one and use the one I have to boil as it's rated at 2000.

You'll need the 2000 for boil, yes. Mine is 2k and it "just" boils it hard enough, man, I mean "just" too.

I think Wheebz would say it's not enough, and I would feel better if it could be more (short of adding a 2nd element), but JP/JZ say it's enough because it mounds up at the surface ...

The height of the mound is only like 1/4-3/8", though, so that's why I say "just" ...

Looking forward to your brew ;)

I haven't been able to brew in like 6 weeks, now, already ... hopefully in the next couple of days, though, if I can get the work out of myself today ...

CHEERS!

RocketMan said:
Are you plugged into a 30 amp outlet? I'm planning to use the 30 amp drop I put in for RVs.

I don't know. It's an EFI or GFI or whatever you can them, but I have not checked the power specifically ...

I am designing my next indoor brew kettle right now, but it's not my next move ...

My next move it to setup a 15-16 gallon mash tun and I'm going to set it up for temp control and recirc sprayers using my existing gear and some nozzles I'm about to test ...

I'll run off first runnings into my current kettle (24 qts) and fill it up and pray to fermcap and the 'weak' boil God's =) ...

I plan to process it through my chilling and oxygenation and filtering chain before ultimately dividing it up into 4x little big mouth bubbler's that will get different treatments ... one w/ soaked chips, one with dry hops, one with pureed fruit, and a control to compare against ... that kind of things ... maybe a dry yeast comparison - who knows ...

I'm about to split brew days into an alternating structure. One brew to put a stock beer (4-5 gallons) into my freezer for drinking, and the alternating brew will be an exploratory batch - only, enhanced to teach more things, faster, for being split up into 4x variants ...

I've been meaning to write it up and post it to my thread but I've been slammed w/ work ... 86 hrs into this week, and I'm not done yet =( ...

grantmichaels said:

You'll need the 2000 for boil, yes. Mine is 2k and it "just" boils it hard enough, man, I mean "just" too.

I think Wheebz would say it's not enough, and I would feel better if it could be more (short of adding a 2nd element), but JP/JZ say it's enough because it mounds up at the surface ...

The height of the mound is only like 1/4-3/8", though, so that's why I say "just" ...

Looking forward to your brew ;)

I haven't been able to brew in like 6 weeks, now, already ... hopefully in the next couple of days, though, if I can get the work out of myself today ...

CHEERS!

You know, one of the things I debated was whether I wanted to go with 120v or 220v elements. I think that the 120 will work great for the HLT and the mash tun to hold temperature but a 220v would be the way to go for the boil. I really like the electric brewery idea and when I get around to building my dream brew set up it'll be a combination.

Grant, when you added the element to your kettle, did you have to drill the hole yourself or did it come ready for the element to be installed?

That was the only thing done already. The element was installed and had been tested, and a hole had been cut in the lid for the recirc return.

Ok, so I was planning to do a DIY version of the Blichmann Beer Gun and was able to find just about all the parts to do it on Amazon. 

BeerGunBuild_zpsjk6yxkqc.png

Yep, total cost is $91.61 and I still need to find something to build the trigger from and get the spring, tip and tip adapter. So, this would not be a cost effective DIY project. If anything I might be tempted to get the 36" tubing just to be able to swap them out for filling growlers.

Might also have to check the local big box store and see if I can do it cheaper.

RocketMan said:
Ok, so I was planning to do a DIY version of the Blichmann Beer Gun and was able to find just about all the parts to do it on Amazon. 

BeerGunBuild_zpsjk6yxkqc.png

Yep, total cost is $91.61 and I still need to find something to build the trigger from and get the spring, tip and tip adapter. So, this would not be a cost effective DIY project. If anything I might be tempted to get the 36" tubing just to be able to swap them out for filling growlers.

Might also have to check the local big box store and see if I can do it cheaper.

Check McMaster-Carr, too ...

You might be able to make 3x for the same price, due to their pricing structure, and then sell the others or have backup's or whatever ...

Foxx Equipment

but honestly, its going to be easier to just buy one than to make one

if your tolerances are off, insta foam for every beer you try to fill

wheebz said:
Foxx Equipment

but honestly, its going to be easier to just buy one than to make one

if your tolerances are off, insta foam for every beer you try to fill

I think RM likes to DIY ... which is cool.

Back