• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic DIY guide: how to make off grid hydroponic self watering container

lek said:

no need to do homework coz i had graduated… LOL  :party:
there is a way to make it work as long as you work along with the nature.

i don’t wanna talk about bio stimulus and/or other advance topics here, it’s off-topic.

Hi,
You keep saying that it can work but you've not explained how- do you mind doing this please?

My knowledge of wicking systems is that a gap is required between the soil and the water to provide aeration
Which is also why pots have holes in the bottom of them

Powelly said:

Hi,
You keep saying that it can work but you've not explained how- do you mind doing this please?

My knowledge of wicking systems is that a gap is required between the soil and the water to provide aeration
Which is also why pots have holes in the bottom of them

Let's not continue the hijack...maybe pm him if you want to hear his unrelated garble. 

Hi guys,
I did a bit of reading up on this and it seems that vermiculite would be adequate to provide suitable wicking

Is vermiculite dense enough to prevent the plant from toppling over? Would putting 20cm gravel in the top 20cm of the grow bed prevent any toppling issues?

I wouldn't use pure vermiculite.  It's unnecessarily expensive, and too light.  Once the plant grows enough root structure to hold it together, it's OK, but up to that point, it's got the consistency of styrofoam peanuts.  Great seed starter, but if you're in Australia, you should have access to lots and lots of cheap coco coir.  In my humble opinion, there is nothing that beats 3 parts coco coir to 1 part perlite for a wicking container.

I see, I've never used it or felt it before
Coco coir also looks good and yeah, there is loads of it in Australia

Powelly said:
I see, I've never used it or felt it before
Coco coir also looks good and yeah, there is loads of it in Australia

I can't remember the brand, but somebody in Australia had a calcium based fertilizer that is said to work a charm on coco coir.  I'll see if I can find that out again.

Back