• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

djsketchie's 2010 grow log

So I took some pictures of my seedlings yesterday and I am posting the better ones. In case you haven't seen my intro thread in the welcome section, here is what I am growing this year:

Bhut Jolokia - NMSU CPI & Seed saved from last season
Fatali - Seed Savers Exchange
Chocolate Habanero - Redwood City Seed Co
White Habanero - Redwood City Seed Co
Mustard Habanero - Seed Savers Exchange
Datil - NMSU CPI
Jamaican Red - Random produce stand in the Florida Keys
Charleston Hot Cayenne - Seed saved from last season
Tabasco - NMSU CPI
Fish Pepper - Seed Savers Exchange
Thai Red - Local asian grocery store
Rooster Spur - Seed Savers Exchange
Serrano Tampiqueño - Botanical Interests

This year I am going to focus more on saving my own seed, even if they are open pollinated because it gets expensive real quick. I was particularly glad that I saved some Bhut Jolokia seed from last year, because the ones from the NMSU CPI didn't germinate all that well this go around with 50% germination rate and they also took the longest - Mine on the other hand were well above 90% germination rate and came up pretty quick. My chinense peppers are all doing well, with some of them starting to get their second set of true leaves, so I will start them on some diluted fish emulsion for their next bottom watering. I kind of wished I had waited a couple more weeks on the annuum peppers because some are already the same size or bigger than the chinenses...forgot how much easier they are to germinate and grow.

My seed starting mix was 1/3 perlite, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil, which I have been happy with, but I could have used less perlite since those things were a big as boulders compared to the tiny seedlings. My buddy that lives a few hours away started his this past weekend and bought some ProMix BX. While it is expensive, that stuff goes a LONG way and it is quality. we filled all 6 of his flats and it looked like we hadn't even put a dent in that bag. I am definitely using some next year.

My setup is pretty simple with two shop light fixtures and 4 cool white bulbs with a total output of around 8,000 lumens. I have kept the bulbs pretty close, and some of my seedlings are showing a bit of a "suntan" with purple leaves and stems, so I think it's time to lower them another inch or so.

So enough rambling...here are some pics, with more to be uploaded later:

ShopLights_1.JPG

My Ghetto Setup

Variegated_1.JPG

Fish Pepper with variegated cotyledons

MustardTan_1.JPG

Mustard Habanero with a suntan

Datil_1.JPG

Datil Pepper - The biggest of the bunch with a nice thick stem

More Pics...

BigBroLittleBro_1.JPG

Big Bro & Little Bro 3 cotyledon Chocolate Habs - This particular variety has had quite a few of these mutants pop up for some reason

BhutTan_1.JPG

Bhut Jolokia with a suntan

After a long hiatus...

I finally found some time to update my grow log, and figured out an easier way to host images! I have skipped quite a few weeks due to school and work craziness, so I have jumped from toddlers to early 20's.

Most of these pics were taken this morning after a VERY productive slug hunt, so I am in a good mood. Those little f#*%ers were totally just chilling out underneath my pots that I haven't moved in weeks. I got about 30 total and stuck them in a cup loaded with sea salt. I guess this proves that my slug bait is somewhat effective, since I have only had mild slug damage.

20rl72h.jpg

The Whole FamDamily

eq7aqh.jpg

Fish Pepper!

4gnfxv.jpg

Fatali - Check out that girthy stem! It's about as thick as my index finger...

255nx9h.jpg

Bhut Beaut

More pics...

25f82t1.jpg

Variegated Banana Pepper - I work part-time at a large garden shop, and we go through tons of chile pepper flats a week. I happened to see this variegated hot banana pepper while I was organizing flats, so I took it off the table and hid it for myself to buy when I got off work. Not sure how rare it is for a variegated mutant to just pop up out of nowhere, but I am going to isolate this when it flowers and save some seeds.

ej9dlz.jpg

Choco Hab Aerial Photo - This one split off into a tripod early, and each individual branch has already split into two branches again. Something tells me this one is going to be bushy...

Very nice looking plants, the hot banana with the variegated leaves looks pretty neat, it should look really cool if it continues to grow more like that.

Back