• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Do dwarf super hots exist?

Just wondering if dwarf super hots peppers (bhut, 7pod, scorps, etc) exist.

I would love to grow some at my desk at work. My full sized bhut are not doing so great, no space to grow so i keep on trimming and trimming so it has no chance to flower and produce pods.

thanks

No dwarfs, but they will grow as much as you let them. small pot = small plant.
C. frutescens are way better for growing in really small pots. I have crossed many C. frutescens with C. chinense superhots to create such a compact superhot plant.

*SORRY FOR HIJACKING THE THREAD, BUT I JUST HAD TO SHARE IT WITH YOU*
Not as exciting as Habatalii, but...
  • Red Bud (permanent name to be decided) - C. Chinense x C. Frutescens
    1. Small leaves
    2. Petite structure
    3. Small, red, bird-type, pods which are a lot thicker than normal
      • Heat the same as Habanero
      • Taste strangely enough resembles the one of Fresno
    4. Heat tolerance (not as much with cold)
  • Omri's Carrot (permanent name to be decided) - C. Chinense x C. Frutescens
    1. Large, Frutescens-like leaves
    2. Normal Frutescens structure (occasionally lack stability)
      • The appearance of multiple flowers per node
    3. Long, orange, bird-type pods
      • Heat the same as Habanero
      • Taste almost as fruity as Habanero (definitely a Chinense flavor is dominant)
    4. Heat tolerance
*Both originally from the same parents.
*Both had to be crossed repeatedly with the Chinense parent to get the desired qualities.
*The goal with both is a compact plant (credit to Bent for the idea), which packs heat and flavor without too many needs (not much light and is weather tolerant).

First *working* generation - "Red Bud" on the right and "Omri's Carrot" on the left (2007):
dsc00681x.jpg

"Red Bud" plant (2008):
dsc00692.jpg

dsc00691.jpg

dsc00690b.jpg

"Omri's Carrot" plant (2008):
dsc00777q.jpg

dsc00819c.jpg

dsc00882v.jpg

dsc00875.jpg

Had a few more crosses, just not really successful.

not unless you make them that way...IMO, best way is to overwinter a plant and keep it trimmed to the specificaions you want/need...

You can keep them as small as you need to, but like AJ said, its best to use a good rootstock such as from an overwintered plant.

Do DWARF superhots exist?

if you mean tiny plants,

they do where i grow

i see lots of other's grows and mine definitely are dwarfs :(

compared to the giants the others seem to grow

(maybe mine just look smaller because i look
at them every available minute of every day?)

OCD?

Great looking crosses Omri. I love bird peppers and the C. chinese flavor.

It's not SUPER hot, and I didn't like the amount of seeds but a "White Bullet Habanero" I grew one year was very compact.

Trimmed back and stuck in a smaller pot is a great way to go. I ran out of batteries for my camera, but I'll come back and post a picture of a Yellow Scorpion cutting from last year that's growing pods in a 4 inch container.

I'm not sure if any of these would really work on your desk though. Not enough light. From what I've seen Thai chilies can fruit under some low light conditions, but I don't think C. chineses are as flexible.

Great looking crosses Omri. I love bird peppers and the C. chinese flavor.

It's not SUPER hot, and I didn't like the amount of seeds but a "White Bullet Habanero" I grew one year was very compact.

Trimmed back and stuck in a smaller pot is a great way to go. I ran out of batteries for my camera, but I'll come back and post a picture of a Yellow Scorpion cutting from last year that's growing pods in a 4 inch container.

I'm not sure if any of these would really work on your desk though. Not enough light. From what I've seen Thai chilies can fruit under some low light conditions, but I don't think C. chineses are as flexible.

I have a aerogarden, so light is not an issue.

Check this out. I also have some bonsai's, and while looking them up on the web I found a site where a guy makes bonsai's out of hot peppers. specifically fatalii's.http://www.fatalii.net/growing/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=95&Itemid=105

Just wondering if dwarf super hots peppers (bhut, 7pod, scorps, etc) exist.

I would love to grow some at my desk at work. My full sized bhut are not doing so great, no space to grow so i keep on trimming and trimming so it has no chance to flower and produce pods.

thanks

I'm working on several true genetic dwarves.

The only super hot dwarf that I'm currently working on is a dwarf bhut.

I have some dwarf genetics that I'm happy to share if anyone if interested.

A couple stable true dwarves that I have available are Baby Pequin and Baby Cayenne.

The pics ain't the greatest but do give an idea what the plants are like.

Baby Cayenne.
3 plants are pictured in this container... plants are dwarf 8-10 inches tall, 12-14 inches wide. Fruits are up to 4-5 inches long, medium heat and good fruity flavor.
An amazing amount of chiles on such tiny plants.

34yy99t.jpg

Baby Pequin.
1 plant pictured below.
Dwarf plant to 10-12 inches tall, 12-14 inches wide.
Fruits are upright, 3/4 of an inch long, medium heat, nice fruity flavor.

2ldqv4.jpg

~Diggin'

Back