• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do I need to repot?

So I made what is likely a big rookie mistake.

I potted 12 pepper plants in 5-6 gallon buckets. I didn't realize my mistake until a couple days later. I used Kellog's 'Garden Soil' and not their ready to go potting mix or their 'Patio Plus'. It's intended to be mixed with your native soil. Will they grow in this medium as is? Will they grow well? :/ Will it be too hot? 

Here is a link to the specific product I used:

http://www.kellogggarden.com/products/kellogg/soils/?s=all-natural-garden-soil

When did you repot?
If not 3 months ago and I am pretty sure it wasnt, I would pick up some inexpensive potting soil without added neuts and amend it with the Kellogg and repot.

That garden soil is organic so in all likelihood it would pretty much be impossible to burn your plants with it because organic nutrients must be broken down and are slowly released vs your standard chemical ferts that are immediately available making it easy to burn your plants. If you're satisfied with mediocre plants that grow you peppers then no worries ;)

Spicy Mushroom said:
So I made what is likely a big rookie mistake.

I potted 12 pepper plants in 5-6 gallon buckets. I didn't realize my mistake until a couple days later. I used Kellog's 'Garden Soil' and not their ready to go potting mix or their 'Patio Plus'. It's intended to be mixed with your native soil. Will they grow in this medium as is? Will they grow well? :/ Will it be too hot? 

Here is a link to the specific product I used:

http://www.kellogggarden.com/products/kellogg/soils/?s=all-natural-garden-soil

I'm not familiar with this brand but garden soil is usually pretty dense and not light and airy like potting mixes. You could have a problem with drainage if it's just garden soil in a pot with no amendments. I made the mistake once a few years ago and bought Miracle Grow Garden Soil. Says right on the bag not to be used as a potting mix but did anyway since I'd already bought and opened it. Filled five buckets with it and planted the plants. After a week they looked horrible. The soil seemed to stay wet and never dry out. I went out and bought the potting mix and re potted. They perked up quick.

Again not sure how the soil your using looks/feels but you can do a wait and see and if they take a turn for the worse you can re pot in the proper mix.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Appreciate it :)

I'm not familiar with this brand but garden soil is usually pretty dense and not light and airy like potting mixes. You could have a problem with drainage if it's just garden soil in a pot with no amendments.

I'd say the drainage is quite good actually. I see the water leave very quickly from the bottom of the bucket. Also have lots of holes I drilled in them.

It's course, woody, mulchy. Here is a photo I found online using the same 'soil'. They said this was also not mixed.

photo.jpg

Back