Do I need unique UPC for multiple quantity packs of the same product?

My 5oz bottle has a unique, legal UPC barcode.

If I want to sell them in 3 pack or 12 pack, do I need a separate SKU for each if sold as such?  Would the 3 pack sold as a "3 pack of 5oz Cinder sauce" be it's own entity by law?  Or can I keep track of it as 3 individual bottles of 5oz?

I guess what I'm asking is... if I had a 10oz bottle that would have it's own UPC.  But if I sell a gift or 3-pack of 5oz bottles that are available for individual sale... should that 3-pack be it's own entity legally? Is a 3-pack it's own item.

There are many ways you can use UPC codes. 

For this question, it depends on how you are defining a single unit. 

Is a unit: 
  • a single bottle
  • a 3-pack
  • a case
  • a pallet
  • a semi-full
If you're defining a unit for sale as a single bottle, then you'll need another bar-code for your 3-pack. 

For the case it's a bit different as the expectation is that you will sell the case wholesale and the retailer will then sell a single unit - thus the grocery store will scan your single unit barcode (e.g. 1 bottle) and do a "x 12" entry. 

But you're talking about retailing a 3-pack as a single unit - if that's the case it will require its own barcode because I assume you'll be selling this at a different price point than the single bottle. 

Not sure why you're concerned with this though - if you're selling a single bottle wholesale, that's a barcode. If you're selling a 3-pack or 12-pack (1 CS) on your website, you don't need a barcode for it because you're the retailer. Unless you're scanning your own barcodes, which is kind of overkill on infrastructure for a small company. 

?

Consider my introductory pricing model:

1 bottle = Price

I have the single bottle for sale.  Price x 1 (up to 2), less 10%
I have a price break at 3 bottles, Price x 3 (up to 11), less 15%
I have a price break at 1 case (12 bottles), Price x 12, less 20%
I have a price break at 2 case+ (> 24 bottles), Price x QTY, less 25%

I have those handy 3-pack boxes.  I can see what you are saying though.  I may have answered my own question just now.  I could sell the 3-pack hot sauce box as an item that contains 3 single units inside.  But the 3-pack box is it's own entity, and thus, a barcode.  Hm... Well that just took the wind out of my own sails.  I'm probably confusing inventory with UPC.

Yes if I sell a white box with 3 bottles in it, it will be sold as a 3-pack.  I guess inventory wise I would have to do a -3 units (bottle) for each UPC scan on the box.

Kalitarios said:

1 bottle = Price

I have those handy 3-pack boxes.  I can see what you are saying though.  I may have answered my own question just now.  I could sell the 3-pack hot sauce box as an item that contains 3 single units inside.  But the 3-pack box is it's own entity, and thus, a barcode.  Hm... Well that just took the wind out of my own sails.  I'm probably confusing inventory with UPC.

Yes if I sell a white box with 3 bottles in it, it will be sold as a 3-pack.  I guess inventory wise I would have to do a -3 units (bottle) for each UPC scan on the box.
Dude. Take a deep breath. Stop. Breathe.

In every scenario above you are the retailer. No barcode needed for anything but the single unit.

In your quickbooks (or whatever accounting s/w you employ) you'll simply list it as a different price point with relevant description (e.g. 3-pack, boxed 3-pack, etc)

You're seriously overthinking this one.

Barcodes = wholesale to retail, used by stores to check in/inventory product.

Price points = not related to barcodes unless those become wholesale units of sale.

Make sense?

Check my website - I have 3-packs, 4-packs & 6-packs, all at different price points.

I have 1 barcode and that is on my bottle. I don't need more than 1 because I'm not scanning barcodes when I sell sauce - sauce is decremented from inventory through my website and QB entry.
Edited to clarify: I have 1 unique barcode for each of my 7 products, not "1 barcode".

Just wanted to make sure that was clear. :cheers:

Kalitarios said:

1 bottle = Price

Seems like you're awful eager to give money away.  A customer buys one bottle and you give them 10% off?  You're making this way too complicated.  Just set a price and be done with it!  If someone is buying a case from the website, then I can see giving a price break, or a 3-pack.  That's easy.  For a FM or other retail, I'd go $7 each, 3/$20, and 10-15% off for case prices no matter how many cases.  If a store is buying cases, then you're wholesaling so that's a different price structure.  25% is a pretty steep discount for retail sales.

If you want to do an introductory sale, just make it 10% off.  Flat rate, whatever the total is, 10% off!  Or throw in an extra bottle for orders of 6 or more. 

Don't forget, if someone is buying off a website, you have to ship said case of bottles and that is Not Cheap!!!  And remember, that shipped box has a high likelihood of breakage and then you'll be replacing or refunding out of pocket.

But Wait!  USPS has INSURANCE!  Yes, it does...if the customer wants to take the time to fill out and file the claim.  And the insurance doesn't cover shipping, only the cost of the goods damaged.  One customer filed a claim for a $6.49 bottle of Worcestershire...I received notice that the claim was approved but I have yet to see the check from the USPS.  I ended up refunding the purchase price for that bottle to the customer rather than paying shipping for a single 10 oz bottle plus the cost of the replacement bottle.  That would of been about $15 out of pocket.  Unfortunately, the customer did not get to try that one sauce.   

Remember, you are a start up venture.  The idea is to Make Money, not look for ways to give it away.  Find other ways to tickle the customer, throw in a new product sample, or logo magnet (those are pretty cheap from Vista Print and once on the refer will be in front of their eyes all the time). 

Back