Do peppers produce actual heat?

Before you give me grief and call me dumb, I do not think so.  I am looking for someone to have my back on this.  No time for canning and it is too warm to cook, so I freeze produce and get to the canning later, when it is cooler outside and the stove heat is appreciated.  Love making hot pepper jam so I have some cut, seeded, and washed peppers in the freezer.

They do not freeze as solid as some other things.  I figure that is just because of the oils.  But wife swears that anything in the freezer next to them doesnt fully freeze either.  We have bags of ice in the freezer, they stay frozen.  Nothing wrong with the freezer.

Wife is nuts right?  I guess stranger things have happened,but wife is nuts righ?

Wife is wrong, cells of peppers burst therefore making them mushy upon thawing. Alton Brown has a really cool trick on how to avoid this if you have the means and time, neither of which I have currently. 

They do have a fairly high water content.  Freezing this water requires removing a lot of heat, so they may indeed be a bit warmer than expected for the first half day or so.  After that, no, they are not radioactive* or otherwise endothermic.  ;)

* OK, they are high in potassium, a naturally occurring emitter that adds significant decay heat to the Earth's interior.  If you had a few million tons of peppers, you might need a bigger freezer... ;)  A pound or two, no.

ajdrew said:
 wife swears that anything in the freezer next to them doesnt fully freeze either. 
Wife is nuts right?  I guess stranger things have happened,but wife is nuts righ?

Could be you opening the freezer so many times a day to take a look at those peppers causing the whole freezer to warm up since the door is open :shh:

Hot peppers stimulate the same receptors in the body that respond to actual physical heat. This is not the same as saying that hot peppers produce heat.

Even so: when a woman is around, a man is always wrong. I know this because a woman told me.

Just say "yes,dear..." and move the chiles to the other side of the freezer. :cool:
And in answer...no, chiles do not produce heat from thin air like a Tesla generator. I have lots of chiles on ice and they are just as frozen solid as the ground garlic next to tgem.
Whole chiles may seem less frozen just beca use the walls are thin. I use ground/frozen jalapeño peppers all the time and they freeze solid just fine. Might due to check the freezer itself and make sure it's in a good spot. If its an outside freezer, maybe older, maybe in the sun part of the day, that can contribute to it not working correctly and not being really cold.

Thinking Geonerd has the best scientific explanation, but Salsa Lady has the best marital advice.  What is going on is adding something that takes much effort to freeze might be changing things around it.  Half a day later, all is frozen like rock. Exactly as I thought it would, but she still swears my peppers made other things thaw.  Yes dear.

Maybe placing them in the fridge or an ice chest for a couple days before putting in the freezer would help - figure getting the pods close to freezing temp before placing them in the freezer would at least minimize any temp change.

Ye, now she is blaming me cause freezer broke.  Silly me tried to argue that the added thermal mass, which could have been anything, just pushed it beyond its age allowed.  Getting a new one today, which makes me wonder something.

Chest freezers are dirt cheap compared to stand up refrigerators.  Same damn thing.  Just insulated boxes and the same cooling method.  Same cubic feet.  If it is a fridge it costs almost ten times as much.  I think it is because they figure you need a refrigerator and dont need a chest freezer so much.

ajdrew said:
Chest freezers are dirt cheap compared to stand up refrigerators.  Same damn thing.  Just insulated boxes and the same cooling method.  Same cubic feet.  If it is a fridge it costs almost ten times as much.  I think it is because they figure you need a refrigerator and dont need a chest freezer so much.

I think it might be because chest freezers can get by using smaller cooling units than upright freezer/refrigerators. Since they get opened less often and since they open on the top (front opening freezers let all the cold air fall out when they open), they tend to be better at retaining cold air. 
     This is just a guess. 100% pure, grade A horseshit. But it makes sense to me.

The refrigerator has more parts...shelves etc.

The time of little profit per item and supply and demand has been long gone though. Profit margins of 40 percent, arbitrary pricing...we've just been getting raped lately.

Heckle, this an EKU 28 night so not sure if I can articulate the thought right.  I am NOT a communist.  Hippie yes, commie no. Dont want to empower lazy people.  But I do very much appreciate communist concepts, like the value of a value added product is the labor.  However, we live in a world where the real money is in being the middleman, not the producer of a good.

Our farm sets our prices for organic produce what Walmart sets their commercial produce at.  By removing the middleman, our patrons get better for less and we get more than if we had ever sold to that middleman.  That, I think, is what we should move to if we want to change things.  Stop spending money with the middle man, the wholesale retail people.  I think Jesus called them the money changers.  Time for us to turn the tables and take back our economy.

Ye, I am drunk. 

Power to the Peasants....

ajdrew said:
Heckle, this an EKU 28 night so not sure if I can articulate the thought right.  I am NOT a communist.  Hippie yes, commie no. Dont want to empower lazy people.  But I do very much appreciate communist concepts, like the value of a value added product is the labor.  However, we live in a world where the real money is in being the middleman, not the producer of a good.

Our farm sets our prices for organic produce what Walmart sets their commercial produce at.  By removing the middleman, our patrons get better for less and we get more than if we had ever sold to that middleman.  That, I think, is what we should move to if we want to change things.  Stop spending money with the middle man, the wholesale retail people.  I think Jesus called them the money changers.  Time for us to turn the tables and take back our economy.

Ye, I am drunk. 

Power to the Peasants....

Well since you brought it up...

Laziness, or what a lot of people think is laziness, is actually damage to the prefrontal cortex. The "master planner" of the brain. It's not really lazy, its an inability to actually formulate working plans of action and coordinate a master plan.

As far as communism...well there is only one planet. As some famous quote paraphrased says...this isnt my planet, its my grandchildren's. I can trace most any problem with this country you can name to capitalism.
I kinda thnk you missed the point of "40 percent profit margins". I'm not talking about vegetables or farmers.

Or middlemen, this is producers...

Back