• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Do these Bhut Jolokias look normal?

Several weeks old, under a 600 watt metal halide 18/6 cycle. 5" pot planted in ProMix BX. Pots have a lot of drainage holes. Nutrients include Botanicare Pro Grow, CalMag, Liquid Karma and Aqua Shield. The other plants, Peter Pepper, Anaheims etc... do not have this issue. Why are the leaves so Bumpy? Normal? Any suggestions?
IMG_0830.jpg

Another shot of the same plant.

IMG_0831.jpg

Thanks, any input appreciated.

I don't grow those, but Googled "Bhut Jolokia plant", and the plant pics I was able to find have smooth leaves, so I'd guess that's not normal. Something similar happened to one of my peppers, which resulted from over-fertilizing.

Look normal to me. I found the lights can give them the rippled look. mine do the same thing. My chinenses anyways

Looks good to me...

OK, normal they are. Thanks for the replies and I can start sleeping well at night now! Thanks again to all.

Chilehead-Yeah that's exactly who I purchased them from. They are supposedly the "Giant Bhut Jolokia's". Now whether or not they really exist?

KCS, I don't think I will be buying any more from Pepper Joe. There is a member on this site who has some yellow bhut seeds he is giving away. Just need to send a SASE. I mailed an envelope today so I can have a few of his seeds to grow next year.
This is my first year growing peppers and I bought the Bhut seeds from him. I haven't produced any pods yet, only a few flowers. I have about another month before the weather begins to turn cooler, so i may be bringing the plant inside to overwinter it. I got a late start, May 1st, so i was hoping to get at least one pod. One thing for sure is this pepper grows extremely slow.

Yeah I also read mixed reviews on the thread of where to purchase seeds. Unfortunatley he received more negatives than positives. I'm doing my whole grow indoors so hopefully they will yield some good peppers, only time will tell. I'm also new at this so I'll just have to wait it out.

If you want Bhut Jolokia seeds that you know are true go to the source that cultivated the current world record holder. Dr. Paul Bosland of the Chili Pepper Institute at the New Mexico State University is the guy who grew the world record holder and you can buy seeds from his organization. Only place I've ever purchased Bhut Jolokia seeds and I've never been surprised.

This is the place: http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/

Here are my Bhut's when they were seedlings, so you can compare. I
noticed that my Habanero seedlings look a lot like the Bhut seedling's.
Hopefully you have Bhut's.

Back