• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Do you like Pepper in your beer?

Thegreenchilemonster said:
My step dad puts dried NM green chiles in a hop bag, and puts the bag into the secondary. Kind of like dry hopping, but with peppers. It actually adds a really nice flavor and heat to the brew.
 That was a thought I had, was to dry hop it with peppers! But first I need to get some consistency down and a brew that would even taste good with peppers. I wonder how throwing fresh peppers in during the boil would work out.....

Brocoli said:
 That was a thought I had, was to dry hop it with peppers! But first I need to get some consistency down and a brew that would even taste good with peppers. I wonder how throwing fresh peppers in during the boil would work out.....
That's what I was thinking of trying to do with fresh rocoto, the only problem is that boiling water sucks all of the capsaicin out of the pepper, so I would need to use a milder rocoto for it. I'm growing these Ecuadorian Sweet Rocoto that are supposed to be pretty mild. I'll have to check how mild they are, and expirement with a 1 gallon batch, before I jump in and brew 5 gallons of undrinkable magma beer.

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/our-beers/dia-de-los-serranos/ that's pretty tasty with some BBQ. I doubt anyone here would find it very spicy but the stout is excellent and the little kick is nice if eaten with the right food.

Cave Creek Chili Beer is also pretty good every once in a while. It's quite a bit hotter but still not sweltering. It's a light cerveza style.

I am also a fan of putting a dried chipotle in a bottle of tequila for 24-48 hours and using it to make spicy margaritas

It has to be the right beer, the right style, the right combo of hops.  But yes a great beer that warms you up in the winter is amazing.

I think what I mean is only IPA's should have peppers in them.

Disclaimer: I haven't had CCB Hunahpu, only a bunch of bottled of Marshall Zhukov, but ...

I trust that the milder raisin-like peppers (ancho, pasillua, guajillo) add a pleasant quality to the richest base stout I'm aware of (MZ) ...

We'll see, sooner than later.

Here are a couple of pepper brews I've tried lately. The Flying Dog is much tastier between the two, but neither is really spicy. They both have a burn like a mild jalapeño. I would still go with the Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin if I purchased another habanero beer, because it is far superior in heat and flavor than these two.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160624-202103.png
    Screenshot_20160624-202103.png
    585.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20160624-202210.png
    Screenshot_20160624-202210.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 76
I have a few of the Starr Hill's in the fridge right now. Pretty good in the flavor department, no heat really like you said. But sometimes when theres too much heat it just gives your throat a weird tickle.

Havent tried the Flying Dog Fever Dream yet, but I had the Ancho Lime Paradise Lager which was a solid lager.

Brocoli said:
I have a few of the Starr Hill's in the fridge right now. Pretty good in the flavor department, no heat really like you said. But sometimes when theres too much heat it just gives your throat a weird tickle.

Havent tried the Flying Dog Fever Dream yet, but I had the Ancho Lime Paradise Lager which was a solid lager.
The ancho lime was pretty good, and I'm not really a fan of lagers. I'm looking forward to trying the peach carolina reaper IPA this fall. The Green Flash Serrano is pretty decent as well. I saw a Sriracha brew by Rogue when I was at the store the other day. I may try that one, plus the bottle would be fun to keep and bottle home brew with.

If it's for the flavor, I don't mind a pepper infused beer. I've had Maine Beer Company's Pepper Ale and it was okay. Not a fan of drinking the heat though, I usually end up coughing or choking on spicy liquids for some reason

Streamer said:
NOPE.  None in my Ice Cream either.  Some things are just...sacred.

On a lark, I added a 10 or 15 of chilie pequins to a plain vanilla ice cream recipe (for the Kitchen Aid mixer) and it turned out pretty good.  A little heat at first, not overpowering.  Nice little contrast in flavors.  

I've decided to finally expirement with doing this after eating a fresh mini rocoto a couple of days ago. I'm going to brew a saison tomorrow with citra hops instead of the usual European low alpha hops I normally use for saison, throw in some lemon zest during the last 5 minutes of the boil, then "dry hop" with 6-8 mini rocoto in the secondary. I'll take tastes off the secondary every other day, 5 days after originally dropping in the peppers to get it to my desired spice level. I have a feeling the mini rocoto flavor and spice will be a nice compliment to the WLP565 yeast I'm using.

Thegreenchilemonster said:
I've decided to finally expirement with doing this after eating a fresh mini rocoto a couple of days ago. I'm going to brew a saison tomorrow with citra hops instead of the usual European low alpha hops I normally use for saison, throw in some lemon zest during the last 5 minutes of the boil, then "dry hop" with 6-8 mini rocoto in the secondary. I'll take tastes off the secondary every other day, 5 days after originally dropping in the peppers to get it to my desired spice level. I have a feeling the mini rocoto flavor and spice will be a nice compliment to the WLP565 yeast I'm using.

I have much to learn in the brewing department, but wont taking tests every other day introduce the fresh oxygen you dont want? I always try to eliminate fresh oxygen on the surface of my beer. Only time I taste it is when I switch from primary to secondary and thats because its whatevers left in the bucket.

My next brew is going to be a 1 malt 1 hop highish % IPA with my friend. I would like to get a smaller system for specialty trials - also since my friend usually has our kettle. He knows more about brewing, I know more about growing, we are meeting in the middle. :party:

Brocoli said:

I have much to learn in the brewing department, but wont taking tests every other day introduce the fresh oxygen you dont want? I always try to eliminate fresh oxygen on the surface of my beer. Only time I taste it is when I switch from primary to secondary and thats because its whatevers left in the bucket.

My next brew is going to be a 1 malt 1 hop highish % IPA with my friend. I would like to get a smaller system for specialty trials - also since my friend usually has our kettle. He knows more about brewing, I know more about growing, we are meeting in the middle. :party:
Very true, but my secondary has a spigot on the bottom, so I can do small pours without introducing any oxygen. I ended up brewing this Saison, but I used the Wyeast 3711 French Saison, instead of the WLP 565.

I also brewed a very hoppy IPA last week that I will be dropping two fresh aji amarillo into the secondary, along with some hops for dry hopping.

Good luck on your SMASH!

salsalady said:
I've enjoyed a habanero hard cider and would buy that again.  I've tried a few other spicy/habanero/chipotle beers or wine but would only go back for the habanero cider.  

I'm not a beer fan, for the most part. If beer no longer existed, it wouldn't phase me in the slightest. But I am totally with Ann on the spicy hard cider. The only kind I've tried is El Chavo (by Blakes Hard Cider Co.) and it is excellent. It's light and crisp - perfect for chill time. 

I'll point out one other thought that applies for me - I typically don't want an extremely hot beverage for sipping. Don't get me wrong - I have infused tequila, vodka and rum bottles and a bit of those will about burn your tongue off. But I see those as "fun to do shots with" or "mix with other things", not as something I would drink straight for an extended period. 

Not that I'd drink those straight for an extended period if they weren't infused!  :lol:

Back