• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

do you refrigerate???

I have about 20 sauses open and all of them are not in a cooler and I have never had them go bad.
my cilantro sauce got a little odd looking but tasted just like the unopened bottle so I ate it and was not sick..
the others like cajohns 10 get used a little every day and they also show no signs of looking bad.
I read that a guy threw out a jersey death cause it was left out one night and I have a half bottle open on the table now for months and it is just fine.
am I going to die.....??

I put them in the fridge, but sometimes I got a bottle standing on the table for a week. I don't think Jersey Death or any sauce will be ready for the dump after one night outside the fridge! I'd be long dead by now.....

most of the sauces have the PH low enough not to cause botulism, but I still put them in the frig as AJ does but out just for a night or so no problem most restaurants leave them out all the time
Dan

LET IT BURN

I personally think most sauces taste better chilled. and they will keep longer once opened especially if, like mine they contain fruit etc, straight vinegrettes or extracts could probably be kept on the radiator and be ok a week later....Don't do it but just in case..... lol.

I have so many open I can't refridgerate them all. I put the onces that contain fruit, or are more purees in the fridge, but have really never had any problems with most of the ones I have left out. Some oxidize a bit so the color is duller, but they still taste the same. I don't think I have ever gotten sick from them. Or if I have, I have just blamed it on a hangover...

Right now, I'm only packing Mad Dog, Huy Fong Sriracha, the remnants of a bottle of Tabasco, a few milder chipotle sauces, and about a thousand packets of Taco Bell fire sauce (why?!). Everything but the Sriracha stays refrigerated. For some reason, the Sriracha tastes better to me at room temperature or warmer.

You must have a walk-in cooler like they have in restaurants then, if you refridgerate all your sauces as many as you must have!

JayT said:
You must have a walk-in cooler like they have in restaurants then, if you refridgerate all your sauces as many as you must have!
Ya, I do have a lot....that's why I use three seperate coolers ;)

I also put the hot sauces in the fridge once opened.
I'm kinda shocked (but not really) that some of you have 20 bottles opened, maybe I'm the odd man out because I like to have only 4-5 bottles opened & when I finish one then I'll open another.

I have 6 DefCon sauces open now (wish I had 7....where's the zero? Hope I'm on the waiting list)....plus two of Bents...plus 2 of Stillz...thats 10, so I know I have at least 20 open....different taste and heat for each occasion...

I have ~ 50 open bottles of chilli sauces they are all sitting on my shelf above the stove. They are as fine as the day I opened them. If they went off then there would be a huge issue with the basic fundamentals of science as they are all vinegar based.

Back