• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

Liking the Red Rocoto pods! Any tricks to growing those?

The Bishop's Crown is a really cool looking pod as well looking forward to your thought's after a taste test..

Very interesting the way the pods developed on your Peach Bhut, was it very young when it started setting?

Another nice update Doc! Give the pups a treat for me!

Awesome, awesome, awesome!  Great color, production and variety, my friend!  
You will love your drip system.  There are always tweaking things to be done, but
by and large, they are a slam dunk.  Wish I had known about them earlier in my
gardening career.  The DIG timers you have are among the best going.  I have
several types, but that one is a winner.  I like that it can be programmed to specific
start times rather than preset cycles like many other timers.  The only better one I
have used is my hardwired system for the front yard.

As to the house situation, at least you won't have to dismantle and move your greenhouse!

Keep up the good work, brother, you've got a great momentum going with those harvests!

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Doc.. theres always a spot for another plant. ahhaah nice white bhuts.. when you cut it did the seeds look mature??? they really ripe?? cant wait for mine to pod up..
Hahaha!  If there is, I haven't found it.  I have about 8 plants still in 2 gallon bags that need to go into 5 gallon bags soon. Right now there is room for them in the 2 gal, but there won't be in the 5 gal.  They may have to stay in 2 gal bags, hahaha! 

Those White Bhuts are still on the plant!  I'm going to give them until this coming weekend before plucking them. We'll find out then if they are really ripe!  Thanks for stopping in, bro!

WalkGood said:
First off Doc Brent a hat’s off \o_ is in order for you, your grow and the awesome powders you are making ^_^

I love powder by color!!! Yours will look ablaze with beautiful color in a great way, subtle depending on the pod color and vivid … fantastic mon! I can’t wait to see the colors in the finished powder. I am very interested in seeing how the peach turns out pure. I’ve done pure green, yellow, red and orange but only removed the seeds once per color. Too much work for me as I don’t have the surgical experience but I can fillet a mean fish, lol. Recently did a few MoAs and I had to remove the seeds so I can send some out but if I had as many MoA pods as the JA Habs I’d do them full. Yours are going to turn out perfect as the seed will throw in a little seed color into the finished product but not for you \o/

I noticed that right away, Whoa that’s some serious work must be da surgeon in you … would love to see ya fillet some fish ^_^

Keep up da great work brethren and have a great day!

Edit: Beautiful White Bhut pods look great and love the color. Mine are smaller but the same color. While my plant is still alive she lost the main stalk and several side branches to a local squall … I was bummed out for a week. Funny enough she’s looking really good now but only has around 6 pods on her. Great job on yours!!!
Thank ya, Ramon!  You give me way too much credit on the pepper cleaning!  No special skills used, just a couple of gloved thumbs. ;)  As you know, it is a lot of work, but I think it is worth it for the vivid colors in the powders.  The ones I did last year (Red, Yellow, Brown, and smoked mix) turned out great, IMHO.  Those were from pods I bought out of the Marketplace section.  :)

Thanks as always for stopping in, man.  Always appreciate it!

stc3248 said:
Nice! Those DTWs do look funny. Almost like a Baccatum??? Original seeds for that came from Silver Surfer, but they went through a couple folks before they got to you. Everything else is looking mighty fine! 

I see what you are saying.  Also kind of resembles frutescens.  The flowers don't seem to have baccatum features.  But the leaves look chinense to me, and there are multiple buds per node.  Interesting that they look similar to my Aribibi Gusanito, a chinense x frutesens...that is supposed to ripen white.  The one I am growing (Pepperlover.com) seems to be ripening yellow.  Maybe I have radioactive soil.  :)  Thanks for stopping in, man! 
romy6 said:
 I have to reiterate all the amazing colors and beautiful pods. Gives me inspiration to separate my pods before drying.  :liar:

Keep the kick ass updates going  :dance:  Waiting for the finely ground powder we be  :party:
Thank you, thank you, Mr. Romy! 

Devv said:
Liking the Red Rocoto pods! Any tricks to growing those?

The Bishop's Crown is a really cool looking pod as well looking forward to your thought's after a taste test..

Very interesting the way the pods developed on your Peach Bhut, was it very young when it started setting?

Another nice update Doc! Give the pups a treat for me!
In my limited experience of one ( :D ), it seems to depend upon the quality of the seed.  I sowed multiple rounds until I finally got a sprout, and then two or three sprouts until one actually started to grow.  Once it started growing, I've treated it just like the rest of my plants and they seem to be OK with it (so far). 

The Bishop's Crown is awesome!  Jason (GA Growhead) sent me some pods last year, which is where I got the seed.  Mild to moderate heat, subtle sweet flavor, and crunchy/juicy.  Definitely plan to make some stuffed BCs this year, or perhaps poppers, or both! 

The Peach Bhut was about two feet from the soil line when it started setting pods.  At first I thought it was a cross of sorts, but it would be odd for it to have kept the peach color.  I guess it just had some genetic funk in its developmental programs. 

Lucy and Bruno thank you! 

PaulG said:
Awesome, awesome, awesome!  Great color, production and variety, my friend!  
You will love your drip system.  There are always tweaking things to be done, but
by and large, they are a slam dunk.  Wish I had known about them earlier in my
gardening career.  The DIG timers you have are among the best going.  I have
several types, but that one is a winner.  I like that it can be programmed to specific
start times rather than preset cycles like many other timers.  The only better one I
have used is my hardwired system for the front yard.

As to the house situation, at least you won't have to dismantle and move your greenhouse!

Keep up the good work, brother, you've got a great momentum going with those harvests!
Glad to see you back around the glogs, my friend!  Greatly appreciate you taking the time to check out my grow.  You probably recognize a number of the varieties.  :D  As I have said before many times, there is no way I could have done what I have without the collective knowledge base that is THP.  Thank you for your contribution.  I couldn't have done it with out you, bro! 

Totally loving the drip system.  Don't even have to think about watering anymore.  :)

Sawyer said:
I had to go back a few pages to see, but awesome harvests, Doc.  I'm still at the blooming/protopod stage, but hope to get things kicking soon.
Thanks for stopping in, Sawyer.  Being able to "cheat" by starting in October allowed me to get to where I am now.  Yours will get there.  Blooms and protopods are the first step!

With warmer weather has come more pods.  And more pests.  I am finding and burning leaves with whitefly eggs/instars almost daily.  Ant trails on the plants led me to aphid clusters.  So far, I've just been able to cut the involved tip(s) off.  Lady bugs released yesterday.  :) 

But there is a new, more insidious pest that is hard to manage:  powdery mildew.  I had to cut my Yellow Bell back to its "skeleton."  Same with one of my Jamaican Yellow Mushrooms.  I've found a few involved leaves on my Chocolate Bell, Jalapenos, and Anaheim, but have been able to pluck these.  The Red Bell is not looking so good and might have to be cut back, as well. 

Powdery Mildew seems to have a predilection for the annuums, at least in my back yard.  Chineses adjacent to involved plants have remained unaffected (so far).  I've always thought of molds and mildews as liking warm, dark, wet places.  Once I figured out what it was, I found out that Powdery Mildew likes hot and dry areas, just like my climate.  It seems there is no good treatment.  Sulfur can keep it in control.  For now, I'm just plucking involved leaves when I see them.

Anyway, on call this weekend, starting this morning, so not much time.  I did harvest yesterday evening and this morning.  I'll try to check out the other glogs I follow during downtime this weekend. 

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Great harvest pics, Brent - you're gathering up steam now!  
Those money shots will be coming fast and furious.  You'll
have to harvest again after being on call this weekend!

That powdery mildew is a bitch.  My roses get it all the time.
Wouldn't bother me if it affected just the leaves, but the stems just
below the buds get it, and the buds tilt over sideways.  When
they open the outer petals are all funky and gnarly.  Maybe I should
try some tea extract on them, the beneficial microbial communities
on the leaves might keep it in check.  Hadn't thought of that before.
Of course, if you are using tea extract on your peppers, then obviously
that doesn't work!

Doc! Impressive pull!

You're gonna be real busy processing those!

Sorry to hear about the powdery mildew, I know you'll know it down!

Wow!!!  Started trying to identify the different varieties represented there, but there's way too many and I'm not good with the superhots.  Awesome harvest!  Congratulations!  Now ... what is the plan for using all of those pods???

PaulG said:
Great harvest pics, Brent - you're gathering up steam now!  
Those money shots will be coming fast and furious.  You'll
have to harvest again after being on call this weekend!

That powdery mildew is a bitch.  My roses get it all the time.
Wouldn't bother me if it affected just the leaves, but the stems just
below the buds get it, and the buds tilt over sideways.  When
they open the outer petals are all funky and gnarly.  Maybe I should
try some tea extract on them, the beneficial microbial communities
on the leaves might keep it in check.  Hadn't thought of that before.
Of course, if you are using tea extract on your peppers, then obviously
that doesn't work!
Paul!  So happy to see you back around the glogs on a regular basis.  The place just wasn't the same without you.  Thanks for stopping in.  The harvests amaze me given my experience last year.

I picked up the equipment to make some AACT but haven't done it yet.  I hadn't thought about beneficial organisms possibly out-competing the powdery mildew.  Perhaps I should give that a try.  Thanks for the tip!   

Jeff H said:
Try this stuff on the powdery mildew and it will take care of the ahpids too , it is almost pure canola oil. I sprayed it about a week ago to deal with mites on the monzanos and powdery mildew all over the roses. So far so good.

blue_original_Natria-Multi-Insect-Control.png

I started a tread discussing it here. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39987-natural-pesticide-canola-oil-of-all-things/
I'll take a look for it.  Thanks, Jeff.

Devv said:
Doc! Impressive pull!

You're gonna be real busy processing those!

Sorry to hear about the powdery mildew, I know you'll know it down!
Thanks, Scott.  I just put the last round of dried pods into bags.  I had ordered six more trays and they just arrived today.  Now I have 14.  The harvest shown went into the freezer along with the others that were still in the freezer from the last harvest(s).  Pretty sure I will fill the 14 next time around and still have some in the freezer.  :) 

highalt said:
Wow!!!  Started trying to identify the different varieties represented there, but there's way too many and I'm not good with the superhots.  Awesome harvest!  Congratulations!  Now ... what is the plan for using all of those pods???
Thanks Bonnie.  Thank you for stopping in and for the kind commentary.  I know you could identify many of them.

Most all of the pods go to powder, at least the larger hots and superhots.  But varieties like the Jimmy Nardello and Rapires F1 taste so good eaten fresh, cooked or raw.  The small pods are saved separately and will be sauce peppers. 

PeriPeri said:
Nice one Doc, those are awesome looking pods! That is a really incredible variety!
Thanks Lourens.  The plants have definitely taken off.  Even plants that were finicky to set pods are now loaded up. 

Many of you know about Silver_Surfer's Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion that he calls the Sepia Serpent.  It is currently on the F4 generation.  I wanted to make sure I got the desired phenotype, so I grew out five plants.  If I recall correctly, this ripening one is pretty close: 

Maybe Silver_Surfer can chime in here.  I have a different Sepia Serpent plant that has pronounced tails on about 1/3 of the pods.  If this is normal, never mind.  If it is something different, I'm definitely saving seeds from one (or more) of these pods: 

Now that I call scary pod :-)
Re powdery mildew: it has killed almost all of our mini roses...it really sucks....Hopefully it won't affect your plants bad, and you can keep posting those nice harvest pics. :-)

Gee Doc, Impressive pulls and gnarly looking SS pods ya got there! With the exception of the powdery mildew it looks like you're in the sweet spot. I can't help you with the mildew... we don't see it much because it doesn't get that dry here. The only exception is on the Lilac leaves in late summer, but they don't seem to take any harm from that because the leaves have such a thick cuticle and the twig ends have become woody by then. Speaking of the thick cuticle on the Lilac leaves... I wonder if a thin coating of neem would suffice to keep off the mycelium?

MGOLD86 said:
SIIIICK pods Brent.  Yea, im sure SS will chime in and let you know if that is what he is looking for. 
Thanks Matt!  I have to say the pods he sent me last year were pretty much the hottest chile I have ever tried.  Would be funny to have one that looked all mean and gnarly, stinger and all, and have no heat!  :rofl:

HabaneroHead said:
Now that I call scary pod :-)
Re powdery mildew: it has killed almost all of our mini roses...it really sucks....Hopefully it won't affect your plants bad, and you can keep posting those nice harvest pics. :-)
Sorry to hear about your mini roses.  So far I seem to have it under control, but not before I had to cut three plants way back to their stalks.  But new growth is coming and it looks healthy so far.  Thanks for the encouragement!

stickman said:
Gee Doc, Impressive pulls and gnarly looking SS pods ya got there! With the exception of the powdery mildew it looks like you're in the sweet spot. I can't help you with the mildew... we don't see it much because it doesn't get that dry here. The only exception is on the Lilac leaves in late summer, but they don't seem to take any harm from that because the leaves have such a thick cuticle and the twig ends have become woody by then. Speaking of the thick cuticle on the Lilac leaves... I wonder if a thin coating of neem would suffice to keep off the mycelium?
Thanks, Rick.  Things really seem to be coming along, which absolutely amazes me considering my experience last year.  Appreciate the kind words.  Not sure if neem would work or not.  Probably would not be specific to the neem as I believe it acts by modulating the feeding behavior of insect pests.  If so, it would probably be just oil, in general.  Which brings me back to JeffH's post above about the canola oil.  Hmmm.  Thanks for stopping in.  :)

Back