• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

stc3248 said:
Wow...most folks don't realize how much effort goes into just prepping them for the dehydrator as well as you did...I know! Well done!!!! The colors should be very vivid!
Hahaha, thanks Shane.  Yes, it took me about 30 to 60 minutes per tray, removing 99% of the seeds while leaving as much placenta as is humanly possible.  Larger pods obviously went more quickly.  As is probably obvious, this is why I was lamenting the small pods for powder.  :)

Silver_Surfer said:
Nice harvest! That's gonna make some tasty powder.
tasty.gif
Thanks, man!  Appreciate you stopping by.  Was thinking about making a smoked Sepia Serpent powder when I get enough of them stashed.  I was going to call it S5:  Sepia Serpent by Silver_Surfer, Smoked. 

MGOLD86 said:
NIIIICE!!  Now that is what I am talking about!  That is gonna make some tasty powder, gotta let us know how it turns out.  We expect a play by play on every pepper combination.   Get to work!!! :lol:
Thank ya, Matt.  I most certainly will review them.  For now, "Sorry Boss, I'm dehydrating as fast as I can"... ;)

To GA Growhead:  Just tried the Aji Pineapple today.  Really tasty snacking pepper.  A bit hotter than a Jal and definite pineapple-like taste.

To Stickman and HabaneroHead:  Tried the Rapires F1 today, both green and red.  Minimal heat, but wonderful flavor.  The red was sweeter than the green.  I would imagine the green would make an incredible pickling pepper.  And I bet it would be good on a sandwich, as HabaneroHead mentioned.  Thank you for the seeds! 

Stefan_W said:
Wow, looks like you'll be set up for some fine powders for a while! Very nice harvest and pictures of the pre-dehydration.
Thank you, Stefan.  What always amazes me is how little powder yield there is from literally bags of chiles.  But that powder is incredibly potent.  ;)  The photos I posted will serve as the "before" shots.  "After" shots pending.  :)  Have a great week, man!

Woa Doc! Been a while.... geez man, you have been busy! That is some awesome grow log my friend. Great plants... unbelievable nice stash of pods... great variations! Awesome, awesome, awesome! Your Reaper are definitely not correct - not sure what is going on there! But otherwise you got awesome pods - well done!

DocNrock said:

To Stickman and HabaneroHead:  Tried the Rapires F1 today, both green and red.  Minimal heat, but wonderful flavor.  The red was sweeter than the green.  I would imagine the green would make an incredible pickling pepper.  And I bet it would be good on a sandwich, as HabaneroHead mentioned.  Thank you for the seeds! 

Glad you liked them Doc! I had so many peppers started that I only risked a few myself, and when they didn't pop I just said Inshallah... Since you liked them so much I'll make a more concerted effort next season. Cheers!

Trippa said:
Nice work Doc!!! Awesome variety in that harvest as well. Very Jealous of that haul :D long may it continue
Hey Trippa!  Thanks for stopping in and for the kind words.  It's kind of funny.  Last year, I struggled with my first grow and probably 3/4 of my plants died.  And what few pods I did get were small and wonky-shaped.  I was psyched for everyone else with all those huge hauls of picture-perfect pods but I was also a wee bit jealous at the same time.  What a difference a year makes.  Keep it up, man.  You accomplish more on a balcony that a lot of people can do with a garden plot!     

PeriPeri said:
Woa Doc! Been a while.... geez man, you have been busy! That is some awesome grow log my friend. Great plants... unbelievable nice stash of pods... great variations! Awesome, awesome, awesome! Your Reaper are definitely not correct - not sure what is going on there! But otherwise you got awesome pods - well done!
Lourens, I was just thinking yesterday that I hadn't seen you on the board in a while!  I figured you were taking a long-needed break from that massive SA chile farm.  ;)  Or perhaps you were still processing pods (which might take you into the next millenium, lol). 

Thanks for the kind words.  My plants, it seems, are really going nuts.  Even the Reaper is loaded with pods, albeit the incorrect phenotype.  We will see if it ever gets "normal," or not.  It seems a few people growing this strain have ended up with incorrect pods. Overall, I have a few "nots" growing, but in they end, they're still chiles.  :) 

stickman said:

Glad you liked them Doc! I had so many peppers started that I only risked a few myself, and when they didn't pop I just said Inshallah... Since you liked them so much I'll make a more concerted effort next season. Cheers!
They're a definite grow for me next year, as well.  In fact, my son and his wife came over yesterday and we sampled some peppers.  The Rapires were one of the ones we sampled.  He loved them, as well.  He even asked me for the seeds out of the ripe pod.  It will be his first grow! 

I had to Google "Inshallah."  I had heard the word before but never in context.  Are you Muslim? 

DocNrock said:
They're a definite grow for me next year, as well.  In fact, my son and his wife came over yesterday and we sampled some peppers.  The Rapires were one of the ones we sampled.  He loved them, as well.  He even asked me for the seeds out of the ripe pod.  It will be his first grow! 

I had to Google "Inshallah."  I had heard the word before but never in context.  Are you Muslim? 

Now that's very cool! The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree does it?

No, I'm not a Muslim, but I try to be well read, and I'm fascinated with other cultures... especially the food! :)

Doc, ...Cool harvest photo (#997) with well detailed caption and description...

Beautiful color in the nesco trays ! Such variety.......even the green pods have their place in the "spice jar"............and in the  "pot of chili"

PIC 1 said:
Doc, ...Cool harvest photo (#997) with well detailed caption and description...

Beautiful color in the nesco trays ! Such variety.......even the green pods have their place in the "spice jar"............and in the  "pot of chili"
Thank you, Greg!  Very kind of you.  I'm really curious to see how the green powder turns out. 

stickman said:

Now that's very cool! The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree does it?

No, I'm not a Muslim, but I try to be well read, and I'm fascinated with other cultures... especially the food! :)
Your diversity certainly shows in your postings and in your foodie pics!  :)

Yeah, I was smiling.  He and his wife got me a great Father's Day gift: 

I think he was doing some reading before he gave it to me.  :)  They are moving to Houston and brought their two dogs by for us to sit for a week while they get moved.  Lucy (Rottweiler) is sleeping right now, but Bruno (Boxer) is up and at 'em with me.  He says, "Good Morning." 

I thought I'd post up a few other pics relevant to the discussion over this past weekend. 

Rick, here is the Kurtovska Kapija.  Forgot to snap a shot yesterday, so I just took one with flash in the dark:

I had mentioned that my Peach Bhut (RFC) had gone through some odd phenotypes, but then finally settled into a Bhut-like shape.  Here is the first one, smooth and round-ish: 

Then two other phenotypes appeared.  One looked like a peanut shell and the other with a triangular end:

Finally, the more recent arrivals look more Bhut-ish: 

Speaking of Bhuts, my White Bhut (Pepperlover.com) looks like it just might ripen white: 

This may very well still have some green in it.  The unripe pods are pale green.  I am blue-green colorblind, so I can't discriminate between white and pale green very well, if at all.  :)

And speaking of white, I have pods on my Devil's Tongue Whites (Jamison, Shane).  The phenotype looks a bit off to me, though.  Not at all like the Red Devil's Tongue that I am growing.  I know Jason (GA Growhead) is growing these, as well.  Jason, do your pods look like this?  IIRC, they do. 

And Jason, thanks again for the Bishop's Crown pods!  My plant, now that it is over 5 1/2 feet tall is now setting pods! 

Finally, I discovered on Saturday that my Red Rocoto (SocalChilehead) has started setting pods.  :)

A question for those who grow or have grown Pasilla Bajio.  How long does it take for the pods to ripen?  I have a couple of plants with quite a few dark green pods.  Some of those pods have been full-size on the plant for over a month.  I have yet to see any brown in the pods. 

Anyway, have a great week, everyone!  Now to get caught up on the rest of the glogs I didn't get to yet this past weekend!

excellent pod shots Doc! It looks like the tip of the Kapia on the bottom is starting to ripen up. If at all possible... let 'em get fully ripe on the plant before you pick 'em. "Vine ripened" is always the sweetest!

Say hi to Lucy and Bruno for me too...

Killer shot of the Rocoto pods.... welcome to the club!

Was going to ask you about the bishop crown, to funny. Aji pineapple sounds good. Can't wait.
My WDTs from Shane's connections looks the same shape. The one from Jamison totally different. Even the darker green pheno is shaped the same. They look a bit lighter green now that they are getting bigger.
Definitely have to do a pod trade later in the summer! White bhuts looking killer, hint hint. :D
Awesome score on the book. I spent a while reading part of it online that i stumbled on to. Great son you have!
I have peach bhuts going from judy. Looking foward to them whatever the shape.

Looking better everytime i stop by! Was even telling my daughter (15) about your table spread yesterday. Can't wait till i can do the same.

Bodeen said:
Very nice looking harvest.  Looks like you will be busy now as they start coming in heavier.
Thanks, Jeff. I believe you are right. I just ordered six more trays for my dehydrator. By the way, just today I noticed two almost ripe Jimmys. Looking forward to trying them.
GA Growhead said:
Was going to ask you about the bishop crown, to funny. Aji pineapple sounds good. Can't wait.
My WDTs from Shane's connections looks the same shape. The one from Jamison totally different. Even the darker green pheno is shaped the same. They look a bit lighter green now that they are getting bigger.
Definitely have to do a pod trade later in the summer! White bhuts looking killer, hint hint. :D
Awesome score on the book. I spent a while reading part of it online that i stumbled on to. Great son you have!
I have peach bhuts going from judy. Looking foward to them whatever the shape.

Looking better everytime i stop by! Was even telling my daughter (15) about your table spread yesterday. Can't wait till i can do the same.
Definitely up for a pod swap coming up. Hint received. :) The Peach Bhut couldn't make up its mind, but it seems to have finally settled in. Hoping my Reaper follows suit. Thanks for the kind words, my friend. I'll let you know when there are some pods with your name on them.

Doc.. theres always a spot for another plant. ahhaah nice white bhuts.. when you cut it did the seeds look mature??? they really ripe?? cant wait for mine to pod up..

First off Doc Brent a hat’s off \o_ is in order for you, your grow and the awesome powders you are making ^_^

I love powder by color!!! Yours will look ablaze with beautiful color in a great way, subtle depending on the pod color and vivid … fantastic mon! I can’t wait to see the colors in the finished powder. I am very interested in seeing how the peach turns out pure. I’ve done pure green, yellow, red and orange but only removed the seeds once per color. Too much work for me as I don’t have the surgical experience but I can fillet a mean fish, lol. Recently did a few MoAs and I had to remove the seeds so I can send some out but if I had as many MoA pods as the JA Habs I’d do them full. Yours are going to turn out perfect as the seed will throw in a little seed color into the finished product but not for you \o/

stc3248 said:
Wow...most folks don't realize how much effort goes into just prepping them for the dehydrator as well as you did...I know! Well done!!!! The colors should be very vivid!
DocNrock said:
Hahaha, thanks Shane. Yes, it took me about 30 to 60 minutes per tray, removing 99% of the seeds while leaving as much placenta as is humanly possible. Larger pods obviously went more quickly. As is probably obvious, this is why I was lamenting the small pods for powder. … … …
I noticed that right away, Whoa that’s some serious work must be da surgeon in you … would love to see ya fillet some fish ^_^

Keep up da great work brethren and have a great day!

Edit: Beautiful White Bhut pods look great and love the color. Mine are smaller but the same color. While my plant is still alive she lost the main stalk and several side branches to a local squall … I was bummed out for a week. Funny enough she’s looking really good now but only has around 6 pods on her. Great job on yours!!!

Nice! Those DTWs do look funny. Almost like a Baccatum??? Original seeds for that came from Silver Surfer, but they went through a couple folks before they got to you. Everything else is looking mighty fine! 

Back