• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's 2013 Glog - 7/11/13

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KiNGDeNNiZ continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64, 77 including the plants I want to save from 2012. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time. The grow list with pop dates is at the bottom of this post.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weaklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp? I have not, but might try it later on anything that seems stubborn to sprout.

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

GROW LIST: I will try to edit in pop dates for both soil and Rapid Rooters. The Rapid Rooters might get earlier pop dates since I can see the rootlets before hooks form.

Sown seeds (65):

Trinidad Scorpion (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR)
HP22B (Pepper Joe) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Primo (Primo) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Billy Boy Jonah (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Congo Gigantic (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
7 Pot Barrackpore (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (RR)
Dorset Naga (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Naga Morich (Biscgolf - pods) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Bhut Jolokia (JoynersHotPeppers)
Red Rocoto (SocalChilihead) 10/22/12 (RR)
Malawi Peppadew (Refiningfirechiles) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Trinidad PI281317 (Pepperlover) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Anaheim (Pepperlover - gift)
7 Pot Chiguanas (Silver Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Devil's Tongue (Pepperlover - gift) 10/28/12 (RR)
Butch T (Pepperlover - pods) 10/24/12 (RR)
7 Pot Jonah (Pepperlover - pods) 10/27/12 (RR)
7 Pot Burgundy (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Infinity 10/20/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
Yellow Moruga (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/23/12 (RR)
Yellow Brain (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Yellow Bhut Jolokia (Biscgolf) 10/26/12 (soil)
Fatalii (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR),10/28/12 (soil)
7 Pot Yellow (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (RR)
Peach Bhut (AJIJOE) 10/28/12 (RR)
Beni Highland (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Morova (Pepperlover) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
7 Pot Orange (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/28/12 (RR)
Golden Cayenne (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Yellow Scotch Bonnet (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/22/12 (RR)
7 Pot Brown (Biscgolf) 10/24/12 (soil)
Douglah (Biscgolf) 10/27/12 (soil)
Black Habanero (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Chocolate Scorpion (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
Douglah x Chocolate Scorpion F4 (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/23/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Black Naga (Refiningfirechiles) 10/20/12 (soil)
Pasilla Bajio (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (soil), 10/27/12 (RR)
Long Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Chocolate Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (soil), 10/24/12 (RR)
Black Stinger (Refiningfirechiles) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
7 Pot White (Pepperlover) 10/24/12 (RR), 10/27/12 (soil)
Giant White Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/23/12 (soil)
White Bullet Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
White Devil's Tongue (Silver_Surfer via Coheed) 10/28/12 (RR)
Serrano (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/19/12 (soil) ***FIRST SOIL***
Jalapeno (Pepper Joe - free) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/20/12 (soil)
Red Bell (store bought pepper) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Andy F1 Gochu (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL*** 10/23/12 (soil)
Korean Winner Hybrid (Stickman via SocalChilehead) 10/17/12 (RR) ***TIED, FIRST OVERALL***
Pimenta de Neyde (SocalChilehead) 10/28/12 (RR)
Trinidad Scorpion Green (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR)
Most Prolific C.chacoense (Pepperlover - gift) 10/23/12 (RR)
Royal Black (AJIJOE) 10/22/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Assam (SocalChilehead) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Trinidad Scorpion "FG" (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/24/12 (soil)
Australian Lantern Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/26/12 (RR), 10/26/12 (soil)
Aji Yellow (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Aji Omnicolor (OROZCONLECHE) 10/19/12 (RR)
Not-Trinidad Scorpion (long yellow pod from Arboretum, KiNGDeNNiZ) 10/22/12 (RR)
Mystery Chocolate Mix (Silver_Surfer) 10/23/12 (RR)
Red Congo (AJIJOE) 10/23/12 (RR)
Peach Habanero (AJIJOE) 10/19/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Yellow Hablokia (AJIJOE) 10/20/12 (RR), 10/22/12 (soil)
Sown 10/20/12
Yellow Bell (store-bought pepper) 10/23/12 (RR)
Sown 10/28/12
Chocolate Bell (Refiningfirechiles)
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Douglah (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter (Refiningfirechiles)
Yellow Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Chocolate Bhut (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Pineapple (Refiningfirechiles)
Aji Dulce 1 (Tradewinds)
Datil (Tradewinds)
Goat's Horn (Tradewinds)
NuMex Big Jim (Tradewinds)
Paprika (Tradewinds)
Brain Strain 7 (PepperRidge)

What I hope to save from my current grow, either whole plants or clones (13):

Carribean Red (local nursery)
Aji Panca (Refiningfirechiles)
Peter Pepper (Refiningfirechiles)
Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (Refiningfirechiles)
Moruga (Refiningfirechiles)
Malaysian Goronong (Refiningfirechiles)
Thai Dragon (North Park Produce)
Chenzo (North Park Produce)
Red Brain Strain (Baker's Peppers - pods)
Chinese 5-color (Orozconleche)
Aji Dulce (Orozconleche)
Datil (Orozconleche)
Bonnie "World's Hottest Hab" (Fatalii?) (Home Depot)

I'm going to do my best to keep one of each alive, but with 77 total, I might be lucky if a few croak!

Great night and daytime harvest doc. Ate those the same peppers as you rearranged them or each photo is a different set of harvest. I'm amazed at the rate you're harvesting. Mad genius. Powders galore. I'm sure your 4th was LIT up. Keep up the good work doc

Shane's the only one that can remain on top :)

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Great night and daytime harvest doc. Ate those the same peppers as you rearranged them or each photo is a different set of harvest. I'm amazed at the rate you're harvesting. Mad genius. Powders galore. I'm sure your 4th was LIT up. Keep up the good work doc

Shane's the only one that can remain on top :)

Thanks, King.  Believe it or not, every one of those photos is a unique group of chiles.  Before I harvested the morning of the 4th, I cleared off all the chiles I photographed the evening before and washed them in the sink.  Then I put the morning harvest on the same tables/chair/bench. 

And yes, I agree.  :)

Doc,
Amazing rainbow of colors both ripe and powders. Purple/red two/tone Jalapeno's look cool...they have that paint shop overspray look to them.

Dust mask is no joke.....glad to see that in use. I made the mistake of sniffing/inhaling  freshly ground pepper powder ....once, and one time only. It completely took my breath away. I basically couldn't breathe . No one was around , I made the mistake of slouching over the counter. Luckily enough I lifted my head up and forced a deep breath in....pretty scary.
Dig those harvest photos........I'm afraid to think (but hopefully) I'll be spending a mornings worth of time harvesting my plants....someday...with yields like that !

PIC 1 said:
Doc,
Amazing rainbow of colors both ripe and powders. Purple/red two/tone Jalapeno's look cool...they have that paint shop overspray look to them.

Dust mask is no joke.....glad to see that in use. I made the mistake of sniffing/inhaling  freshly ground pepper powder ....once, and one time only. It completely took my breath away. I basically couldn't breathe . No one was around , I made the mistake of slouching over the counter. Luckily enough I lifted my head up and forced a deep breath in....pretty scary.
Dig those harvest photos........I'm afraid to think (but hopefully) I'll be spending a mornings worth of time harvesting my plants....someday...with yields like that !

Thanks for stopping in, Greg, and appreciate the kind words!  You're right about the pepper dust.  I didn't get it as badly as you (scary!), but I was hacking, sneezing, etc. 

With your plants in 10 gal containers and your growing talent, your grow and harvests are going to pass by mine in 3, 2, 1...   :)

Wow!!!  You got more in one harvest than I got the whole season last year!  The powders look absolutely amazing too!

Haven't tried to catch a rat, but with mice what worked best for us was Nutella.  

highalt said:
Wow!!!  You got more in one harvest than I got the whole season last year!  The powders look absolutely amazing too!

Haven't tried to catch a rat, but with mice what worked best for us was Nutella.  

Thank you for stopping in, Bonnie, and thanks for the kind words.  Long day of processing more for the dehydrator.  :)

Love Nutella!  Hate to waste it on a rat.  ;)  Seriously, if the Velveeta doesn't do the trick, I'll give the Nutella a try.

DocNrock said:
Thank you, MisterNo!  I started my seeds in October, so I'm a few months ahead of most on the board.  They'll be catching up and passing me any day now.  :)

There are indeed three Kapijas in the last shot.  Looking forward to trying one today with lunch!

I think you're gonna like KKs :)

What do you think about Malawi Peppadew?
I bought a jar of peppadews stuffed with soft cheese few days ago, and I must say, it was one of the best stuffed sweet peppers I've tried. So I bought some malawi peppadew seeds for next season from RFC.

I've read something about peppadew hype last year, some are saying those are just some regular cherry peppers with added sugar when canned, and some are calling them a tomato - pepper cross :D
Good marketing, anyway.

Happy harvesting :)

Ps: how many plants you have producing those great pods?

MisterNo said:
I think you're gonna like KKs :)

What do you think about Malawi Peppadew?
I bought a jar of peppadews stuffed with soft cheese few days ago, and I must say, it was one of the best stuffed sweet peppers I've tried. So I bought some malawi peppadew seeds for next season from RFC.

I've read something about peppadew hype last year, some are saying those are just some regular cherry peppers with added sugar when canned, and some are calling them a tomato - pepper cross :D
Good marketing, anyway.

Happy harvesting :)

Ps: how many plants you have producing those great pods?

I really like the Malawi Peppadews.  I too got my seed from RFC.  I don't know about a tomato/pepper cross, but it's definitely a baccatum.  Sweet with mild heat.  I've never had the pickled ones so I can't comment there.  The plant is very productive, but the pods take forever to ripen.

I have 135 plants.  Most are unique to their variety, but I do have a handful of multiples.   
PeriPeri said:
Great balls of fire Doc... NICE!
:D  Thanks for stopping in, hot sauce Rock Star!  :dance:

I did like that shot of you in protection! I usually just go for it unprotected, and get a sneezing fit or two. Once i didn't pull the lid the grinder back on right after adding more peppers and powder went everywhere. All over the counter and me, and of course went airborne. The kitchen wasn't habitable for a bit, but i came out unscathed. Washing with water and sugar before soap worked wonders. Someone on the board suggested that once, and it worked well.
Quite impressed with the color in those powders. And your harvest are getting serious!
Stoke to see that ripe white 7. Still waiting for one to ripen here. Baby pods on the GWHs now too. And posted a WDT shot for you on my glog. :party: Be celebrating with that one soon!

GA Growhead said:
I did like that shot of you in protection! I usually just go for it unprotected, and get a sneezing fit or two. Once i didn't pull the lid the grinder back on right after adding more peppers and powder went everywhere. All over the counter and me, and of course went airborne. The kitchen wasn't habitable for a bit, but i came out unscathed. Washing with water and sugar before soap worked wonders. Someone on the board suggested that once, and it worked well.
Quite impressed with the color in those powders. And your harvest are getting serious!
Stoke to see that ripe white 7. Still waiting for one to ripen here. Baby pods on the GWHs now too. And posted a WDT shot for you on my glog. :party: Be celebrating with that one soon!

Hahaha!  I put it up there since I thought it might give a few some laughs!  I decided to wear something this year since I really gained nothing last year by inhaling powders everytime I took the cover off the grinder.  Just coughing, sneezing, runny eyes, and powder in my hair.  That's just me.  Great story about your experience!  I would have probably asphyxiated!  If I didn't, my wife would kill me.  ;) 

Saw your WDT!  Killer, man! 

Thanks for the kind words, my friend!

PeriPeri said:
Peppadews kick A$$. Unfortunately the company that grows them got a patent on the whole lot. Not sure how they did it, but they did! Difficult to find the real thing here in SA :(

I've not had the "true" Peppadews.  When I ordered the seed last year, RFC called them Malawi Peppadew.  Now he calls them Malawi Piquante.  His website states that it is not the same pepper as the "trademarked" pepper, but to him they taste the same, FWIW.  Whatever it is, I like it!  ;)

Just emptied the freezer of frozen pods from earlier this year.  Those plus what I just harvested...holy crap!  I'm going to be processing all day and possibly tomorrow, as well! 

That's a great problem to have, my friend    ;)
You rocked the grow this year, buddy!

PaulG said:
Just emptied the freezer of frozen pods from earlier this year.  Those plus what I just harvested...holy crap!  I'm going to be processing all day and possibly tomorrow, as well! 

That's a great problem to have, my friend    ;)
You rocked the grow this year, buddy!

Thanks, Paul!  Always nice to have you stop by.  Are you making powders, sauces, anything else?  I know I spent all day yesterday and a good part of the morning today processing a lot of frozens and some fresh.  14 dehydrator trays later, I still have 5 one-gallon bags of pods that wouldn't fit! 

Sometimes I think my grow is rocking me!  Kind of like wagging the dog.  ;)

Broke out the freezer pods and my last couple of harvests and cut/cleaned more chiles than I care to count!  14 full trays in the dehydrator: 

Still have a few bags to go into the freezer, although one of the bags is baccatums.  Might try something different with them later today. 

Took a few pics around the back yard.  I've been pretty vigilant looking for "bearded leaves" that harbor whitefly instars.  They get torched when I find one.  :D 

I have no idea what this plant is.  It was supposed to be a Giant White Hab.  Looking at the pod shape, I doubt it.  Haven't seen the ripened color yet, but it is a chinense. 

Jason (GA GH), here is the Bali Naga (Junglerain.com).  It grows upright pods that look like upright Thais, to me.  They ripen red.  The first few have had some heat, but not as hot as a typical Thai.  It's the tallest in the shot. 

Bishop's Crown (GA Growhead).  I don't know why Highalt's pods are so elongated.  Seeds are from the same pod.  

Bonnie (Highalt), here is the Golden Cayenne I have growing.  Many upright pods, but some pendant.

MisterNo, here is the Malawi Peppadew in the corner, between an Aji Pineapple on the left and an unknown annuum on the right.

Sprawling Aji Omnicolor: 

I still have about eight plants that need to be up-potted.  This Red Bhut didn't wait for me.  It started setting pods, anyway.  ;) 

Bump anyone? 

Sawyer said:

Thank you, kind sir!

Armageddon F2 (Jamison) and a Sepia Serpent: 

Aribibi Gusanito (Pepperlover.com) ripening yellow.  Pod shape is correct but supposed to ripen white.  Yellow variant?

Madballz7 (Junglerain.com) in the center of a number of others: 

My last harvest was three days ago.  This is getting ridiculous!  :crazy:  Fresh harvest this morning.

My Jimmy Nardello was the most recent annuum overtaken by powdery mildew, so I had to cut it back to it's "skeleton."  Are Jimmys tasty green, as well?

Hope everyone is having a great time at the end of the weekend and has a great week!

Holy crap Doc!
That's a ton of peppers again!
That bali naga looks nice. The only pict i could find online had them looking like fatter thais. Not far from yours there.
Sorry about the GWH. Will send you a couple when my pod up. They are setting pods like crazy.
Bishop's look good. Bonnie's is just nuts. I need to go back and look at hers again.

Crazy good Brent! Making the rest of us look bad! ;)

GA Growhead said:
Holy crap Doc!
That's a ton of peppers again!
That bali naga looks nice. The only pict i could find online had them looking like fatter thais. Not far from yours there.
Sorry about the GWH. Will send you a couple when my pod up. They are setting pods like crazy.
Bishop's look good. Bonnie's is just nuts. I need to go back and look at hers again.

Crazy good Brent! Making the rest of us look bad! ;)

Too kind, Jason.  I could never make you or any of the other experience growers on this board look bad.  I "cheated" and got a three month head start.  :D  Your grow is going to blow by mine in 3, 2, 1...   ;)

And no worries about the GWH!  I still have the 7 Pot White which is growing true.  You can tell me if they are the same pepper, or not!

Back