• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

DocNrock's First Grow Log -- 2013 Grow Has Begun!

Hi all. I've learned so much from reading the Glogs of others that I've decided to put mine out there. Hopefully someone can say, "Hey, you're doing it wrong!" before its too late.

I got seeds from Refining Fire Chiles. The seeds were for Butch T, Bhuts, and Douglah. I soaked them overnight in water that I had boiled then cooled to room temp. All the seeds sank to the bottom, which I've read is a good thing. (?) Anyway, I got one of those 72 cell Jiffy Mini-Greenhouses with heater pad to germinate these. I didn't use the peat pellets. The germinating instructions that came with the seeds said not to use peat pots because of their acidity. I didn't know if this applied to the pellets or not, so I filled the tray with Organic Seed Starter Jiffy Mix. I sterilized it first by running boiling water through it in a sieve. I've since seen a number of posts on here using the peat pellets, so note to self they work.

Moving along, I've been watering (but not too much) with a misting bottle filled with boiled water that has 1/4 cup 3% H2O2 and 1 cup brewed chamomille tea in a total of one quart.

Here is my germination setup:

jifftray.jpg

After four days, Hello little guy! Baby Butch T.

sprout.jpg

That is a huge grow list! Even if you grow only half of these you definitely have more room than I do. Good luck with the decision making, I definitely feel your pain about having to pick and choose!

Ha! Yeah, and I even have seeds for more than 15 other varieties that didn't make the cut!

Damn doc...
That's a serious list!

Ha! It will only be one plant of each variety. Then we'll see how many I manage to kill. ;) I needed a good number of chocolate/brown/black varieties this year as three out of four I had this year died. And the remaining one, an Aji Panca, is a beautiful 3' tall plant that has yet to make a single flower!

Now that is an amazing list the red rocoto are great just had a small harvest of half a dozen time to figure out what to make. I enjoyed the chocolate variety for heat and the yellow for flavor, but I got a variety from Chris that had the combination of both it was amazing to eat. You need to switch what your feeding them that reduces the nitrogen I am starting to flower and bud up again after hearvesting everything wiping them clean.

Good luck with your grow Doc, it's an ambitious list. I'll be starting my Manzanos and Scorpions about the same time. I'll start the Annuums the end of February.

It will only be one plant of each variety....

LOL, we've heard that one before!!! :lol:

I meant to do exactly that this year...but then its a case of "well, i will start 3 off, just in case..." and then once they all get to a decent size you still keep all 3 "just in case something happens"....and then before you know it you've got about 3 or 4 of everything you planned to grow one of!!

Good luck with your self-control for next season!!! ;)

You can always give your extra's away. That's what I do. I grow everything from seed. Tomatoes, eggplant, green beans, okra
and of course peppers.

Are you going to start your seed the same way this time around?

I meant to do exactly that this year...but then its a case of "well, i will start 3 off, just in case..." and then once they all get to a decent size you still keep all 3 "just in case something happens"....and then before you know it you've got about 3 or 4 of everything you planned to grow one of!!

Wow, this sounds awfully familiar!.

Reactions: nee
Now that is an amazing list the red rocoto are great just had a small harvest of half a dozen time to figure out what to make. I enjoyed the chocolate variety for heat and the yellow for flavor, but I got a variety from Chris that had the combination of both it was amazing to eat. You need to switch what your feeding them that reduces the nitrogen I am starting to flower and bud up again after hearvesting everything wiping them clean.

Thanks, Fernando. You probably recognize a few of those as they are from you, like the Red Rocoto. Looking forward to trying to grow them. You are right about the feeding and I think I figured it out. I was using a couple of the other Fox Farms products, Tiger Bloom and Grow Big. Using their own instructions it said to use every other watering. I think it was way too much. Haven't given ferts in almost a month and most of my plants are starting to form buds finally. I think all I really need are worm castings and bat guano applied maybe once a month. I'm actually thinking of repotting the Aji Panca today in fert-free soil to see if I can get it to bud. Looking forward to your next round of pod shots.

Nice list brudda! Good luck with your grow!!!

Thanks, Shane. Crazy harvests you have had of late. Hope you can get that soil free from virus.

Good luck with your grow Doc, it's an ambitious list. I'll be starting my Manzanos and Scorpions about the same time. I'll start the Annuums the end of February.

Thanks, Rick. Agreed its ambitious, but if my luck in 2013 is anything like my luck this year, I'll be down to 20 plants in no time! ;) Looking forward to following your grow, especially for tips on the Manzanos. They're the same as Rocotos, right? Not included in the list are a few varieties I plan to grow in small pots. Fernando gave me some of your Gochu seed. I plan to grow those two varieties in 2 gallon pots to see how I like them. If so, then I'll up-pot them into 5's.

Hahaha! Yup, we've talked that one before, Neil. In my case, I did manage to kill off more than I had excess of. Hopefully I learned enough this year not to make that mistake next year. It is hard to kill off the weaklings, but see below. Your grow looks great.

You can always give your extra's away. That's what I do. I grow everything from seed. Tomatoes, eggplant, green beans, okra
and of course peppers.

Are you going to start your seed the same way this time around?

I tried that this year, but very few takers. Perhaps next year when the timing is better, ie spring instead of mid summer. I plan to start similarly, except I'm going to try Rapid Rooters in one of the mini-greenhouses and a deeper cells with starter mix in the other to see which one gets better germ rates overall, and to see if one variety seems to prefer one medium to the other. We'll see. Thanks for stopping in!

Wow, this sounds awfully familiar!.

Yes. Yes it does. ;)

I've got the day off today, so I might try to snap up some pics. I've got a Chinese 5-color with two small pods, two open flowers, and three or four buds on it. It's only about 8" tall. My Anaheim sprouted from a store bought pepper is budding up. My ?Morugas I grew from seed from Baker's (they're either Morugas or Brains) are starting to bud up. Finally, I plan to pick up some Clonex today and try to make some clones of my larger plants. If they root, I'll store them indoors as my overwintering attempt.

I didn't get a chance to snap pics on the 9th, but managed to get a few this morning. Among the many things I learned growing these this year has been fertilization. It would seem that the instructions on some of the botique fertilizers are more to increase sales than to actually boost garden productivity. Even though it is a bit pricey, I was trying the Fox Farms line of fertilizers. Their instructions online state to use every other watering. My Aji Panca is a nice looking 3' tall plant that has yet to make a flower. Every bud it started to form turned black and fell off way before they ever even got close to becoming a flower. I really want to see something from this plant, so last week I repotted it in fresh, high quality soil. It was a bit of a challenge doing this with a 3' plant, but I think I got it right. I took the entire soil ball out of the pot and laid the plant/root/soil combination on the lawn. I then used a hose to wash out as much of the old fertilizer soaked Miracle Gro soil from the roots as I could. I then potted it in my new soil mix that I plan to use for all of 2013: 50:50 Sunshine Mix 1 and 4, amended 4:1 with a mix of Ancient Forest, worm castings, and 0-5-0 bat guano in roughly 3:3:1 ratios. After potting it up, I watered it with SUPERthrive and BioWeed mixed in the water. It has been five days and never showed any signs of transplant shock. It's also starting to make small buds! I only broke off one small branch, which I saved and tried my hand at cloning. Anyway, here is the Aji Panca plant as of this morning:

pancatnsplnt.jpg

Some plants seem to like to spread out instead of growing tall. Malaysian Goronong:

spreadinggoronong.jpg

It's funny how different plant varieties respond to over-fertilization. A few of my purchased plants from RefiningFireChiles looked like they had some sort of virus infection. Now that I've stopped fertilizing them, their overall morphology is normalizing , and they're starting to bud up again. These are the Douglah, Moruga, Yellow Bhut, Goronong, and Peter Pepper. The Jamaican Yellow didn't seem to mind the over-fertilization, at all. It has four green peppers on it, but since I stopped fertilizing it, it is budding up again. The Goronong had four pods on it that it just suddenly dropped one day. Two other store-bought plants from an Iranian grocery store in San Diego are looking better, as well. The Chenzo has about 12 pods on it and is covered with flowers, and the Thai Dragon has three green pods and is loaded with buds soon to open. I'll post pics of these later if I get a bump, but I want to focus this update on the plants I started from seed.

To rehash, I initially sowed seeds for Butch T, Bhut, and Douglah. None of those survived. However, there were two small plants that were lagging that I couldn't kill, so I put them in my Wife's raised bed to fend for themselves. If they lived, they deserved to. Well, they lived, but I don't remember if they're Butch T's or Bhuts. I know they're not the Douglahs. Anyway, since they survived, I dug them up and gave them their own pots. The larger of the two is in the back of the photo below. The two on the left are ?Morugas (either Moruga or Brain) from pods I purchased from Baker's. The one on the right is a Brain Strain from the same order of pods. The plant that is mostly out of the photo is my Bonnie "World's Hottest Habanero," which is also recovering from being overfertilized:

morugbrainunk.jpg

These four plants are all budding up! Unknown:

unk.jpg

One of the two ?Morugas:

unkmoruga.jpg

Brain:

brainbuds.jpg

One day in late July I tried to germinate some seeds from a store-bought Anaheim. I kept the strongest seedling and here it is, budding up:

anaheim.jpg

I really like the Chinese 5-color. I had 100% germination on these and they are growing like weeds. The seeds were gifted to me by Orozconleche. One of them has four small pods:

4podchi5.jpg

Other seeds I sowed from Orozconleche were Datil and Aji Dulce. These guys are growing nicely and they really seem to like the soil concoction I came up with. These were sowed the same time as the Chinese 5-colors, I'm thinking these were sowed in early August:

dulceanddatil.jpg

Finally, there were some seeds I got for Barrackpores from Vlad at Rainbow Chili Seeds. He also gifted some seeds for Jonah and his Impact F1. I also tried to sprout some more Douglahs at that time. The Barrackpores popped just fine, but none of these other three germinated within about four weeks, so I tossed the soil containing these seeds into my Wife's raised bed. A few weeks later I noticed a few pepper seedlings coming up in her bed, so I put them into cups. I'm not sure which these are, but they look chinense to me. Also in the photo is a Chocolate Scorpion that I sprouted a few weeks back. These guys are going to be ready for pots soon:

rescues-1.jpg

Well, that's 10 pics. One of the Barrackpores from that round of germination is also forming buds!

That brings me to today. I held out as long as I could, but after seeing how much the plants really seem to be thriving in our current fall weather (days of high 70's/low 80's and nights of high 50's/low 60's), it made me think how much they would like similar weather during our spring. I want my 2013 grow to be ready to start pumping out pods before we hit our summer highs. So, I organized and put seeds in to soak last night. They will be sowed today.

That's my life. How's your life?

Wow, we are already at freezing temps overnight. Have you tthought about overwintering your existing plants?

I absolutely love the look of your Malaysian Goronong. What type of heat and flavour is it supposed to have when pods ripen?

Wow, we are already at freezing temps overnight. Have you tthought about overwintering your existing plants?

I absolutely love the look of your Malaysian Goronong. What type of heat and flavour is it supposed to have when pods ripen?

Sorry to hear about the temps where you are. We are near the desert. Our first frost doesn't usually come until mid to late November and the last one is usually mid February. Even then, it is not typically a daily frost. In winter, the nightime temps may dip under 32 deg F, but the daytime highs are still usually no lower than 50, and usually high 50's/low 60's. All I probably have to do to overwinter mine are to bring them onto the patio close to the house. I do plan to keep them over the winter and hope they will produce come spring. I'm considering a small greenhouse for the side of the house with a couple of space heaters, as well. Not sure.

The Goronong is just a funky plant all the way around. I did get a chance to try one of the pods. When the plant dropped the four pods it had, they were small but one was half ripe. I tried the ripe end. It had a great flavor. Sweet and citrus-like. Heat was about like a hab. But the pods are twisted in shape and the stems for the buds grow in every direction. Add that to the way the plant itself seems to grow, and its just funky...in a cool way. My plant is growing differently than this example, but here is what the mature pods look like: http://store.myorganicseeds.com/Malaysian-Goronong-Pepper-10-seeds-P1089005.aspx

Thanks for taking a look!

My 2013 grow officially began 10/14/2012, when seeds hit soil. After seeing Fernando (SocalChilehead) growing in his greenhouse "sanctuary" and KingDenniz continuing to start new growth in his AeroGarden, as well as the community HP22B grow thread already being 8 pages, I broke down and started my 2013 grow. I was going to limit it to 50 varieties, but that ended up being 64. If some varieties don't pop or I end up losing some along the way, I might still be down to 50 (or less!) in no time.

Since I had plenty of seeds I wanted to try an experiment. Which is better for germination, soil or Rapid Rooters? I have two mini-greenhouses with 36 soil cups each, and one mini-greenhouse with a 72 cell insert loaded with Rapid Rooters. All seeds were soaked overnight in water that had been boiled and cooled and contained a dilution of brewed chamomile tea and H2O2. The Rapid Rooters and soil were both moistened with the same mix. The soil is Sungro Sunshine mix #1 amended lightly with Ancient Forest and worm castings. Wondering if the organisms in the amendments might help break down the seed coat. Each cell contains about five seeds. This will force me to cull the weeklings, as opposed to trying to save them, hahaha! At most I will end up with two seedlings for each variety. If both survive, I can try to gift one of the two. I am thinking that some varieties may germinate better in soil, some better in the Rapid Rooters, and for some it may not make a difference. I read somewhere that kelp solutions are rich in growth hormones. Has anyone added a light kelp solution dilution to their germination setup? I was thinking of adding a couple of drops to each Rapid Rooter cell. Fert-wise, the kelp solutions are very, very weak. I doubt it would do any harm. Has anyone ever tried the kelp?

I am hoping these guys are all budded up come springtime, and ready for an early harvest. Since my indoor space is limited, I am giving serious consideration to building a small greenhouse in the backyard and putting in a couple of space heaters for the night time. I decided against a raised bed, and will probably go with 5 gallon Root Pouches for the larger plants. Some of the annuums and plants I'm as yet unsure of I will grow in 2 gallon pots. If I end up liking them, I can always up-pot them.

Getting organized:

cupsandseeds.jpg

Man, I hope I didn't mix any of these up! 64 cups to keep straight is a far cry from 3. It will be 6 months until I know for sure!:

soaking.jpg

Rapid Rooters:

rapidrooters.jpg

Soil:

soilcells.jpg

Let the waiting game begin!:

germination.jpg

Also, in case anyone is interested, the white plastic labelling tags are available at Discount Hydroponics, $2.95/100! Cheaper than popsickle sticks!

Regarding the plants I already have, I am going to try to start cuttings off most of them in the event the plants don't make it over the winter. I won't need to start those from seed, although there are four varieties (Douglah, Fatalii, Barrackpore and Yellow Bhut) I am starting from seed, as well.

Question: When we start a new grow season, is it typical to just add to one's glog thread, or is it appropriate to start a new thread for the new grow year?

Anyway, happy growing to you all and thanks for looking. I'm hoping all the lessons I learned this year will help me to make this grow much more successful!

Man Doc that is a bunch of seeds you got going. Best of luck on 2013. Should be a good one for ya.

There is no law on starting a new grow or keeping the one you have. It may make it easier for you to document your seasons if you keep the sperate though:)

Man Doc that is a bunch of seeds you got going. Best of luck on 2013. Should be a good one for ya.

There is no law on starting a new grow or keeping the one you have. It may make it easier for you to document your seasons if you keep the sperate though:)

Thanks, Romy6! I've learned so much from everyone on this board, both directly and indirectly through reading glogs and the responses posted in reply to questions from others. I'm hoping I can apply all of that to this coming year. I aspire to have a grow like many of the incredibly productive ones I've seen on this board, your's included. However, given my fatality rate this past year, I might be down to 10 or 20 plants in no time! ;)

Makes sense regarding the separate thread. Starting a new one now. Thanks for stopping in and for the feedback!

EDIT: 2013 Glog - http://thehotpepper....ocks-2013-glog/

Damn DNR....lmao, you went from dabbling, into full blown hysteria! I love how the first time grow starts out like coddling a baby, once you get your feet nice and wet you'll chill ax a little and let nature take a more dominant roll. Glad to see you having so much fun with your first time grow. Good luck with your 64 kids and say sianora to your mind...it's going to explode!

Damn DNR....lmao, you went from dabbling, into full blown hysteria! I love how the first time grow starts out like coddling a baby, once you get your feet nice and wet you'll chill ax a little and let nature take a more dominant roll. Glad to see you having so much fun with your first time grow. Good luck with your 64 kids and say sianora to your mind...it's going to explode!

Thanks for stopping in, 3/5! It will be interesting to see how this grow evolves, for sure. At least if a few die off, I have plenty of others to keep me occupied. And with so many, I won't have the time to be a "helicopter parent!" Like Nee had said, I'll just let them be. They seem quite capable of sorting out their own problems. Just water, rare feeding, and watch for/take care of any insect infestations.

Back