• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Does anyone make mole? (chocolate and pepper sauce, sweet and spicy)

Recently I bought a jar of mole and it wasn't very satisfying. I missed the instruction to add hot water and the next time I used too much. I was thinking it would be better to make it at home rather than buying it, if it is easy to make. I definitely like it on the sweet side so I want to use lots of chocolate and I want to taste it, so lots of peppers. I tried it at my previous job. A friend brought it in with rice and chicken. It was amazing, even though it wasn't particularly spicy. Mole is hard to describe.

Gotta make it yourself!
Find some ones Grandma for a recipe or you'll find too many versions on recipe sites that are good,but NOT what I had in Mexico.
The best recipes I've found were From Rick Bayless's site so far.

http://www.rickbayless.com/tv-books/mexico-one-plate-at-a-time-season-10/

Maybe Willard has a few family SECRET RECIPES to post.
He seems to be into Mexican Heritage etc.
I'd bet you could weasle out a recipe or 2 from him. LOL

Just like Carne Asada,There are a LOT of regional ingredients used for different stuff or the same thing.
Different woods to smoke or cook the product on Etc.

The real thing for Salsa's,Barbecoa (SP?),Tamales and other dishes are different as far as what the specic ingredients are for the different regions.
I specifically like Chorizo from El Salvador WAY better than other stuff from different places.
Has Tomato,sweet AND warm peppers in it,garlic etc.
Closest place I know for me to get it is at the Mexican Grocery stores that make their own stuff.
Vallarta Grocery stores make some very decent stuff in house.
The food you can buy from their cafateria/DELI(?) is very good.
They make tortillas Breads and Tamales in house.
I LOVE buying them,still hot...

I like most Chorizo (not the greasy,salty tube crap) That I tasted,But the El Salvador Chorizo ROCKS!
At least for my taste.Il like Langastina and whatever the other one is called-Longastina?

PS.
Check out their adds.

http://vallartasupermarkets.com/en/weekly-specials/NorthHills-8

They are a 1/2 mile walk from where I live.
I bank there LOL.
Spend my paycheck there OFTEN...

This will get you drooling. :)

http://vallartasupermarkets.com/en/weekly-specials/NorthHills-8

I just got a smoker full of chicken legs last week and another of Thighs this week.

Thinking about buying a whole leg of pork to smoke.
I LOVE that store.
If I remember,I'll check out IF they have an IN HOUSE Mole they might sell too.
Their stuff is better than stuff you can buy in general as far as Marrinated meat,Tamales,Chorizo etc.

Recipe looks VERY cool!
Good Mole Rocks.
I use a version of Mole as a baste when I smoke Poultry.
Water it down for a marinate a day before smoking,then full strength as a mop/baste.
I'll have to check that recipe out.
Looks very similar to what I make at times.
Thanks.

Back