• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Does anyone still listen to cd's?

Phil said:
I took every CD I had and ripped them onto an external hard drive. The only ones I'm saving are the still-wrapped-in-cellophane Tool CDs I bought extra copies of in hopes they'll be valuable some day. Only reason I assume they might is because... well, have you tried pricing the Salival box set on Amazon lately? I originally paid $30 for that.

Yep, I've got lots of CDs that will never see the inside of a player again.

I had the VHS box set, I have no idea what happened to it but wish I knew at what it goes for now. 

I've been driving the same truck for 17 years, at the time CD players were not in vehicles so only had a am/fm cassette deck, so I would copy what cd's I had to cassette to listen to in the truck.  A five or six years ago after a miss step in the river fishing for steelhead my old Motorola flip phone took a swim, and I replaced it with an Iphone, and iTunes. Needless to say all my cds were burned to an external hard drive. Until last year I used a cassette adaptor to listen to the music on my iphone in my truck. But I replaced the stock deck last christmas with a Bluetooth hands free deck that has a CD player, that I doubt I will ever use, I just don't buy Music cd's anymore, it's just easier to download songs I want from ITunes.

I couldn't tell you the last time I BOUGHT music... it was easily more than 10 years ago. Thanks newsgroups and torrents. 

charlesquik said:

mp3 is shit compressed format, so cd is indeed superior to mp3 , but I use flac digital music

ya i either get 320mp3 or flac
D3monic said:
I couldn't tell you the last time I BOUGHT music... it was easily more than 10 years ago. Thanks newsgroups and torrents. 

Downloading songs on Napster at 5kb cuz dial up.

Heckle said:

ya i either get 320mp3 or flac

Downloading songs on Napster at 5kb cuz dial up.

I've never used napster, had a coworker whos kids used limewire... god I hated when she would bring her comp in for me to fix. Literally over 1200 viruses every time. I use Vuze with Tor if i'm feeling vulnerable but honestly rarely try to "cover" my tracks

D3monic said:

I had the VHS box set, I have no idea what happened to it but wish I knew at what it goes for now. 

VHS set is going for $79.99 on Amazon. CD/DVD set is going for $149.00. I've seen it as high as $300.

D3monic said:

It was yesterday, for me. I buy MP3 albums on Amazon all the time. I used to do the Napster then Limewire thing, but I got really tired of viruses. Besides... I don't mind supporting artists. I just downloaded 17 Gb worth from my Amazon library onto my hard drive. Lots of space for plenty more.

Yes I have one cd with that BS and you can't rip it or make MP3s... Life of Agony - Broken Valley.

Please remove that link it just fucked my android with virus crap.
I get my music legally anyway.

My turntable has bells and whistles that get rid of cracks and pops,it plugs into my computer for editing before it plays or records the Album.
MOST of my albums SINCE 1975 or so were recorded on a decent reel to reel.
A LOT of my albums were -OVER THE YEARS,only played,maybe 5-7 times,MAX.

I Think a NEW Album has something special in sound quality!

I guess it PROBABLY depends on your sound system.AND your actual hearing,NOT stats about why a recording in whatever is better because...
A persons ears tell them what they like...

My like is NEW a NEW ALBUM.

I like my big speakers that push more air too.

My best system was a 4 channel system in the mid to late 70's.
4 Pre amps,4 power amps amd a 4 channel sorter.
Needed to upgrade my Turntables head to be cool...

I guess it would be surround sound now.

I have that now because I don't have room for my speakers anymore where I now live.

Small speakers are just OK.
I miss my stuff I lost to theives.

I am not into online downloads,my albums sound better,AND the stuff I like BEST isn't around anymore from the same albums I listen too.
Most are on reproduced,heavily edited downloads.

I don't own a cell phone and will never have an I Pod run my life.

I'm turning 61 in a few weeks.
My hearing and eye sight sucks.

BUT I still LOVE my Albums best!

Reel to Reel has served me VERY well for MANY years.

Some of the stuff I had before computers were glued to every ones fingers,was state of the art.

I think people get downloads because of the so called quality of them,as advertised...

One thing is,nobody takes into account is the reality of nobody hears the same.
Having the possible best tech means nothing IF your hearing can't deal with it.

Stats mean nothing if your ears are not the same as what ANY sound source caters to.

Boils down to,Whatever I HEAR -THAT PLEASES ME OR OTHERS means nothing except to the listener.

POPS and cracks I take care of-to my hearing abilities,when I re record my 30 yr. old albums(when needed).

These days with all the peoples car systems putting out base I can hear from blocks away,I'm surprised that any of those people hear better than I do after a while of that.
You could only hear our 8 tracks and cassettes a few hundred feet away and our base didn't rattle your windows. LOL
I burned my ears out going to concerts,at shooting ranges(with earplugs I pulled out and some idiot fired off his last round off ,AFTER the horn,as I was walking to the car to go home) and working construction etc. didn't help either.

Just my point of view,worth EXACTLY what I got paid for it.  LOL

OH NO! Another LONG post!  :)

I used to have a fairly nice portable CD player that could properly drive my somewhat inefficient headphones.  I listened to CDs at work.  Since that unit died, I haven't had much need to actually listen to the disks.  I'll rip them and stash the resultant FLAC or high bitrate MP3 files on my computer which feeds my home stereo.

Most modern CDs, including recent pressings of older albums, are dynamically crushed to death.  This is also true for all too many HDCD offerings.  (The whole High Definition Music push is pure marketing BS!  Screw you, Neil Young, humans aren't freaking bats!)  After getting burned several times by this 'loudness war,' I haven't bought a new CD in over a decade.  Even used ones are a rare purchase.  See http://dr.loudness-war.info/

I've even started torrenting CDs I already own, looking for (usually older) masterings that preserve more dynamics.

Yeah. I use them because I can't take camera's to the location where I work.  All my music is on my phone...that has a camera.  They still have their practical uses.  

Off topic:  Heckle & I had an interesting conversation in chat. If you don't want to read further:  Digital is inferior to Analog scientifically, but it is debatable/subjective if you can tell the difference.

After doing some research on how digital music is recorded I have come to the conclusion that digital recordings can only closely mimic the actual sounds of analog recording.  Digital recording can only record numbers from the compression of the air with a numerical value whereas an analog recording can record the full spectrum of the sound wave (more accurate sound).  Very interesting stuff. 

I also found that there is a way to make a "digital analog recording" using magnetic waves to record sound with a physical needle. Anyway...

This website explains the basic difference between digital and analog signals.  http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/digital-versus-analog1.htm

Basically:  Digital signals (because they are digital) can only be "on or off" creating square sound waves which have been linked to being "less pleasing to the ear" than rounded (sine) sound waves (in general, read: subjective) because very rarely do you hear square waves in nature.  

Learned a lot about sound waves last night/earlier this morning.  Thank you public library & howstuffworks.

D3monic said:
Same here.

Also there is a place for the cracks and pops. When I was younger I had a album ( Heaven and Hell) That was warped and scratched. We would always play it when we were trippin'. Knew where every scratch and pop was. To me that is still one of my favorite albums. I wish I knew where it was today.

someguy said:
Same here.

Also there is a place for the cracks and pops. When I was younger I had a album ( Heaven and Hell) That was warped and scratched. We would always play it when we were trippin'. Knew where every scratch and pop was. To me that is still one of my favorite albums. I wish I knew where it was today.

Was just listening to that this morning on way into work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoyaTGHweAo

Vicious Vex said:
Yeah. I use them because I can't take camera's to the location where I work.  All my music is on my phone...that has a camera.  They still have their practical uses.  

Off topic:  Heckle & I had an interesting conversation in chat. If you don't want to read further:  Digital is inferior to Analog scientifically, but it is debatable/subjective if you can tell the difference.

After doing some research on how digital music is recorded I have come to the conclusion that digital recordings can only closely mimic the actual sounds of analog recording.  Digital recording can only record numbers from the compression of the air with a numerical value whereas an analog recording can record the full spectrum of the sound wave (more accurate sound).  Very interesting stuff. 

I also found that there is a way to make a "digital analog recording" using magnetic waves to record sound with a physical needle. Anyway...

This website explains the basic difference between digital and analog signals.  http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/digital-versus-analog1.htm

Basically:  Digital signals (because they are digital) can only be "on or off" creating square sound waves which have been linked to being "less pleasing to the ear" than rounded (sine) sound waves (in general, read: subjective) because very rarely do you hear square waves in nature.  

Learned a lot about sound waves last night/earlier this morning.  Thank you public library & howstuffworks.

There are no digital 'square sound waves.' At all. 

Please watch the first 8~9 minutes of
and, if you like, give this a read:  http://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Back