• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Does Eating Hot Peppers Repel Mosquitos?

So recently, I've discovered i'm a chili head. I just love everything spicy. 

I'm staying here in the Philippines and the house tends to get A LOT of mosquitos. One time we came back from a weekend trip and slept in the house, and the next morning I woke up and counted 17 mosquito bits all over my body. Especially around my ankles. Really annoying. 

Anyways, that was before my new Carolina Reaper hot sauce came in the mail. I got about 8 bottles. Since then, i've been consuming the sauce on nearly everything I eat and I noticed, hey, I have no mosquito bites anymore! That was over a month ago. I still eat the sauce on a regular basis. I definitely do not have as many bug bites as I used to get. Although I still get some from time-to-time. 

That said, I was wondering about my little hypothesis so I looked online and all I found were a lot of big fancy college nerds writing articles claiming there is no evidence eating chilis has any effect on mosquitos biting you. But I thought i'd ask on here where people actually eat hot stuff and what your opinion is on a personal level. In other words don't be quoting any online college nerd research bullshit to me. I just want to know what Chili heads themselves have to say about it! Lol

Can't say it helps me either, I seem to attract them like a magnet. Maybe there's some other component in the sauce that's helping to repel them, or metabolizing in your body in a unique way that helps to ward them off.

No help for me. Maybe if you rub some chiles on your skin. But better not :) Maybe it helps to put a bug net on your windows.
Besides, could be some mosquitos are also Chiliheads :onfire:

Back