• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Does Fish / Seaweed Emulsion Go Bad?

Quick question for anyone in the know...I have a bottle of Neptune's Harvest Fish & Seaweed emulsion from last year, and it doesn't seem to have an expiration date. The only warning on the bottle says not to store diluted fertilizer. The bottle itself is opaque white, so degradation from light shouldn't be a problem.

Is this stuff okay to use after sitting on a windowsill for a year, or should i scrap it and buy a fresh bottle? I'd hate to kill my seedlings using some funky, expired fertilizer.

gasificada said:
I think the important thing to consider is heat from the sun (on a windowsill). Personally, I wouldn't trust it.

This.
I kept my bottle of fish ferts in my basement out of the heat. That stuff smells bad enough as it is lol, don't need hot stinkass fish paste smells everywhere.
I'd get a new bottle.

Whats funny is I use the same brand and I think I've been using the same bottle for 3 years now. My advice would be to give it to them. Don't waste precious plant food, there's starving plants in Africa that could use it haven't ya heard? bwahahahhahaahahhahaa :)

i opened up the bottle, and it didn't smell any worse than i remember, but it did have a crust of dried emulsion at the rim. i was leaning with everyone else on this one, but if you have been using the same brand and bottle for 3 years Pepp3rFreak....what the hell. year old fish guts it is. that stuff is like 12 dollars a bottle, and i am particularly poor this year.

I use the same bottle as last year and though it has not been in the sun, it was upstairs where it could get to 110 degrees of an afternoon. It still stinks but so do dead fish!

Mike

just to post a quick update, i've been using the year old bottle for a few weeks now, and it had definitely improved growth...almost too fast. it's not quite warm enough to transplant them to their 5 gal buckets yet!

Back