• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Does this mean my mash is fermenting?

I slap-n-chopped, the contents I used in my mash. There is about 2 pounds of habaneros, some poblanos, jalapenos, serranos and I included some carrot, onion, garlic, banana and an apple.

Then I squirted in some whey from my kefir.

I never catch an actual bubble in the airlock. But the entire mash has floated off the bottom about two inches. If I shake the gallon jug, it'll mess up the airlock. So, I twisted the jug back and forth and alot of the mash settled back down in the jug. Today it has floated back up. And, I don't see any of the tiny trapped air bubbles in the mash either.

Does this floating mash mean that it is fermenting?

I didn't add anything acidic to bring the pH down quickly. Am I OK with this?

Yes sir, that's a petty sure sign it's working. Your not really going to see an aggressive fermentation like you would with a beer fermentation. Even the most sugar filled batch I've ever made didn't bubble the airlock. What i usually see it the floating of the mash and I'll see gas bubbles trapped in the mash.

I went back through my pics to find a good example of what the mash looks like with gas bubbles trapped in the mash and found this one. It was what would be a really aggressive fermentation but there would have been little activity in a bubbler as you can see all the gas bubbles trapped in there.

ea58238c.jpg

Back