• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Donne Sali

Long time lurker here. This is as good as any topic for me to chime in on.Girlfriends mom is Chamorro Guamanian. I have been eating "boonies" for the last two years. These are my favorite peppers so far. My experience with eating and growing peppers is limited but I got sick of her pickling every single one so I ordered one from chilepl ants.com along with 11 other varieties. Glad this thread was started. Hope I can get some tips on growing boonies as they seemed to be more difficult and slower growing than my other plants. J.B.

Anyone know where I can find some of these seeds/pods? I looked at pepperlover.com and she doesn't carry them. Figured I asked before I start digging through the seed sellers list!!

Hi, Everybody!

You may remember me and my quest to find my beloved Boonie Pepper seeds last fall. Well, my wish was granted in January by a generous individual in San Antonio whose wife is from Guam. One sunny afternoon, I received an envelope packet of seeds from his own stock in the mail, complete with planting instructions and growing tips!! I very impatiently held onto them until I could hold out no more; in March, I started 2 seeds (along with several others from a hot mix that our friend AjiJoe sent me - thanks Joe!). Joy! Both seeds popped, and I was thrilled! Lo' and behold, all these months later, I'm about the harvest some of those bad puppies! (see pic of one plant with a Boonie baby just getting started).

dvg - I have to tell you, your review of them is spot on! As a goof, I picked a green one - again being impatient - as my husband and I were hanging out while grilling, by the pepper buckets one evening. We were picking and sampling the different peppers I've got growing on. We'd already eaten a Thai chile, and a variety of others. Well...I thought: "I'll eat a whole one of these. They're green. They're small. How bad can it be?". Mind you, back in the day when I had unlimited access, I cooked with them a lot. They were always chopped, and I didn't use very many - 1 or 2, maybe three in a large dish. So, I took a swig of beer, bit the whole thing off to the stem, and although still green, it had that "flavor" that took me back. So, I'm chewing, thinking: "It's not THAT bad!". Before it even hit bottom, before I could even feel the sting, I got this crazy "rush" - kind of ethereal feeling, that really rang my bell! DING! Wow!!! THEN the heat kicked in! I was stunned, and couldn't do anything but pace back and forth waiting for the sting to go away. It was a good half-hour before it was totally gone. Nothing could put that fire out; no water, no milk, no acid, no sugar. The strange thing about it was that it was such an unusual feeling; it wasn't painful, just....I dunno. There. But in good way. After that, my beer tasted flat for the rest of the night. lol I can hardly wait for them to turn red so I can eat some more!

Yeah, I'd say they're addicting. Did anyone else get theirs going? If so, how goes it?

Boonie2.jpg

Boonie.jpg

We should compare our boonie peppers to see if they look the same. I'm going to take a picture
and post it today.

Hi, Everybody!

You may remember me and my quest to find my beloved Boonie Pepper seeds last fall. Well, my wish was granted in January by a generous individual in San Antonio whose wife is from Guam. One sunny afternoon, I received an envelope packet of seeds from his own stock in the mail, complete with planting instructions and growing tips!! I very impatiently held onto them until I could hold out no more; in March, I started 2 seeds (along with several others from a hot mix that our friend AjiJoe sent me - thanks Joe!). Joy! Both seeds popped, and I was thrilled! Lo' and behold, all these months later, I'm about the harvest some of those bad puppies! (see pic of one plant with a Boonie baby just getting started).

dvg - I have to tell you, your review of them is spot on! As a goof, I picked a green one - again being impatient - as my husband and I were hanging out while grilling, by the pepper buckets one evening. We were picking and sampling the different peppers I've got growing on. We'd already eaten a Thai chile, and a variety of others. Well...I thought: "I'll eat a whole one of these. They're green. They're small. How bad can it be?". Mind you, back in the day when I had unlimited access, I cooked with them a lot. They were always chopped, and I didn't use very many - 1 or 2, maybe three in a large dish. So, I took a swig of beer, bit the whole thing off to the stem, and although still green, it had that "flavor" that took me back. So, I'm chewing, thinking: "It's not THAT bad!". Before it even hit bottom, before I could even feel the sting, I got this crazy "rush" - kind of ethereal feeling, that really rang my bell! DING! Wow!!! THEN the heat kicked in! I was stunned, and couldn't do anything but pace back and forth waiting for the sting to go away. It was a good half-hour before it was totally gone. Nothing could put that fire out; no water, no milk, no acid, no sugar. The strange thing about it was that it was such an unusual feeling; it wasn't painful, just....I dunno. There. But in good way. After that, my beer tasted flat for the rest of the night. lol I can hardly wait for them to turn red so I can eat some more!

Yeah, I'd say they're addicting. Did anyone else get theirs going? If so, how goes it?

Boonie2.jpg

Boonie.jpg

Here is my boonie pepper. They average 1 inch long.

DSCN0774.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

Isn't Donne Sali a different pepper.

Roper2008, yes i believe the Donne Sali is a different pepper than the Boonie Pepper.

Though they both grow in the same region, i believe the Donne Sali is more of a wild pepper and is also considerably smaller than the said Boonie pepper.

The dried Doone Sali peppers that Wayright sent me were typically 5/8 inches long with the longest one measuring out to 3/4 inches, but that one was a rarity.

I realize that there will be some shrinkage with dried peppers, but Wayright also told me that the Bonnies and the Donne Sali were different peppers.

dvg

To further illustrate the difference in pod shape between a Boonie Pepper and the Donne Sali, here is a pic of some of Wayright's Donne Sali peppers from his garden, from this page in his grow log...link

9-1-11DonneSali.jpg

Compare the above Donne Sali to a Boonie Pepper below:

DSCN0784.jpg

The Donne Sali has a rounder tip than the Boonie and the Donne Sali appears to be a little bit shorter with a more irregular undulating type pod shape than the slightly more uniform Boonie.

The growth habit between the two also seems to be a bit different as well.

Though it's true i love me my peppers, i am certainly not by any means a pepper expert, so if any of the more informed members wish to chime in on this subject, i'd like to hear what your thoughts might be regarding the differences between the Donne Sali and the Boonie Pepper. :cool:

dvg

Thanks dvg, that's what I thought. I would like a more close up view of goonie4boonies boonie pepper.
I think mine might be a little more pointed than her's but not sure. I received my seeds from someone
who had a friend bring them back from Guam. Never know if you have the right pepper or not.

Thanks dvg, that's what I thought. I would like a more close up view of goonie4boonies boonie pepper.
I think mine might be a little more pointed than her's but not sure. I received my seeds from someone
who had a friend bring them back from Guam. Never know if you have the right pepper or not.

I know what you mean Roper2008, and it would be interesting to see the two peppers grown in the same location under very similar conditions, and then compare the plants and the peppers in terms of size, pod shape, flavor, heat and seediness.

Of course, slight variations are to be expected from seed grown plants, but hopefully the differences would be uniformly strong enough to truly differentiate what makes a Boonie different from a Donne Sali. :cool:

dvg

I am growing the Donne Sali aka Guam Boonie and received seed from Wayright in a trade last year. This is the first time I've picked these this year for a reason they are so incredibly small like a grain of rice. I grow tobasco and this is about 1/10 the size and taste almost the same. They are pretty plants with 4 and 5 peppers per node just take for even to pick enough. They are the tiny red peppers and the Scotch bonnet is regular size, should have picked some tobaso for comparison. Too small to make the grade.
IMG_5419.jpg

Granted, they are tiny, but they make for a great heat snack.

If you pick a bunch and put them in a tic-tac container, you can carry that around in your shirt or jacket pocket and dispense them as need be...

...and before you know it you'll be a full-fledged Donne Sali heat fiend junkie! :rofl: :crazy: :cool:

dvg

Hi, All!

Sorry for delay in posting pics - here's a closeup of my boonies. I've moved the plant inside for the winter to carry on under HPS lights, along with several others. My plant is about 4' tall now, and has tons of blooms, and I also have a baby that's about 5 inches tall going strong!

Boonies002.jpg

Also, here's a link to a Guam site that talks about boonie peppers. I thought you might get kick out of it!
My link

Thanks for posting some more pictures goonie. It looks like yours are a little longer and mine have more of a
point. The donne sali cappy posted looks smaller than both of ours.

I would like to get some seeds of your peppers. Would you like to do a trade?

Those peppers remind me of the firecrackers called ladyfingers. The little sister to black cats.  Smaller package, but still a bang. Those peppers look perfect for wok cooking.  

Back