• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Don't Panic! 2020 - The Year of the Covid

I'd been keeping a text-only Glog for myself on my computer.  I figured I might as well add some pictures, and share it with everyone here on THP.

Here's my current grow list for the year:

Annuums

Jamaican Yellow Mushroom (3)
About 5 or 10 years ago, a friend bought some peppers at a farmer's market in Connecticut.  He brought them back down here, and offered them to his neighbor, who is an avid gardener.  He gave me some seedlings about 5 years ago, and I've been growing them from saved seed since.

Junk Yard Mutt F3 (3)
One of my Jamaican Yellow Mushrooms crossed with something (I think a Banana Pepper), and I've been playing around with growing out the cross.

Sri Lankan Chili Red (3)
From PepperGuru for the 2019 GrowDown ThrowDown

Orange Thai (3)
From a SFRB of peppers I got from PepperGuru in 2018.

Allepo (2)
From the YAMRacer754 (and Edmick before that, I think) via Jeffcontonio's Seed Train that goes around each year.

Cajun Bell (2)
Saved seed from a local friend.

Jalapeno (3):  Random saved seed.

Utility Cayenne (3):
From saved seed.  I've been growing this variety for so long, I've forgotten where I got this variety originally.

NuMex 6-4 (1): Refining Fire Chili's

Chinense

Aji Jobito (2): White Hot Peppers.
Aji Margariteño (1): White Hot Peppers.
Bahamian Goat (2): White Hot Peppers.
P. Dreadie (2)
Saved seed originally from a SFRB of peppers I got from Annie57 (THP user name).

Trippaul Threat (2)
These seeds wound a crooked path from PaulG originally.  I got a PDNxBMJ seedling from Sawyer two years ago, and have been saving seed since.

Purple Thunder BJh2 (2): PaulG
Purple Thunder BJh Mystery (2): PaulG

Other

PGPG Sausage Pepper (F2) (3)
From PaulG.  This was one of the crossed Sri Lankan Chili Red varieties from PepperGuru for the 2019 GrowDown ThrowDown.

Volunteers (4):  I can't resist giving a chance to at least a few of the peppers that spontaneously spring up in my beds each year.

Stump Peppers (3-4):  These rascals just won't die.

Most of my peppers are in raised beds.  I have seven pepper plants in each bed.  One in the center, and a hexagon of plants arranged around the edge.  I know this is too dense, and the plants would grow better if they had more room.  But every year I succumb to the temptation of wanting to grow more plants than I have space for.

It's also very shady, but that's what I've got to work with.

Here's my main growing area:

iHgyGI5.jpg

And a small raised bed tucked into the back of my lot:

tYYF1BA.jpg

Glad to see your Mr. Sausage plants are growing.
I am looking forward to seeing what kind of pods
they produce this year. I like the PGPG designation  ;)

Your whole grow is looking great, Mitch!

PaulG said:
Glad to see your Mr. Sausage plants are growing.
I am looking forward to seeing what kind of pods
they produce this year. I like the PGPG designation  ;)

Your whole grow is looking great, Mitch!

I only got three of the PGPG Sausage Peppers going this year.  The F2 of a cross needs much more, but I started late on these, and didn't have the space for many more.

Each of the three is growing differently.  One's growing like a monster, another is small, and making slow progress, and another one is in the middle.

Kind-of like a Papa Bear Sausage Pepper, a Mama Bear Sausage Pepper, and a Baby Bear Sausage Pepper.  :)

DontPanic said:

I only got three of the PGPG Sausage Peppers going this year.  The F2 of a cross needs much more, but I started late on these, and didn't have the space for many more.

Each of the three is growing differently.  One's growing like a monster, another is small, and making slow progress, and another one is in the middle.

Kind-of like a Papa Bear Sausage Pepper, a Mama Bear Sausage Pepper, and a Baby Bear Sausage Pepper.
I imagine there will be quite a variation in this go-around,
Mitch. You are the man for these this season!

Bhuter said:
Hey, Mitch!
Did you continue to grow the PDN x 7 Pot Caramel? F1 was red, and I think you and Pugs (orekoc) grew F2, but I missed the result.

Good luck this season!!
-Adam

I didn't get a chance to get that variety going.

It continues to frustrate and surprise me that, even though I've got 40-50 plants going and 15-20 varieties, I can barely scratch the surface of all the peppers I want to grow.

That labeled SFRB I got from you two seasons ago was amazing.  I've saved seeds from all of them, and still want to try several of them.

I've still got the seeds for the PDN x 7 Pot Caramel.  As I was going through the seeds from that SFRB just now, I saw several varieties I'd like to try.  There was a Purple Flowered Baccutum in there, as well as a Purple Flowered BBG.

I could just grow one or two of each variety, and expand the number of varieties in my garden.  But, between the variations in my growing conditions, and variations in some of the seeds themselves, I'd miss-judge a lot of varieties due to these variations.  If anything, even doing 3 examples of each variety may not be enough.

DontPanic said:
I didn't get a chance to get that variety going.

It continues to frustrate and surprise me that, even though I've got 40-50 plants going and 15-20 varieties, I can barely scratch the surface of all the peppers I want to grow.

That labeled SFRB I got from you two seasons ago was amazing.  I've saved seeds from all of them, and still want to try several of them.

I've still got the seeds for the PDN x 7 Pot Caramel.  As I was going through the seeds from that SFRB just now, I saw several varieties I'd like to try.  There was a Purple Flowered Baccutum in there, as well as a Purple Flowered BBG.

I could just grow one or two of each variety, and expand the number of varieties in my garden.  But, between the variations in my growing conditions, and variations in some of the seeds themselves, I'd miss-judge a lot of varieties due to these variations.  If anything, even doing 3 examples of each variety may not be enough.
I hear ya, there. I wasn't gonna grow this year, and ended up with like 60 plants. So now I'm selling some, Ben might get a couple, but I have more to sell. Lol. Went crazy again.

Both of those purples are definite winners!!! CaneDog is growing the Baccatum and I grow the BBG every year. I might have used older seeds this year because they aren't as dark as last year. But here are 3 different phenos of Purple Flower BBG from last year.
oYH0Sui.jpg

This year they look like the middle one. But last year flowers of the darkest.
bVUkLZZ.jpg

Pods from darkest
5u2ic39.jpg

gH9XcrS.jpg

Inside. Lavender Placenta
rxyPvBm.jpg

Yeah, I'd grow it....lol

Awesome about the PDN x 7 Pit Caramel. Here's a pic from F1....maybe your pods. Lol
spZkI1Y.jpg

Ok......enough clogging. Lol.

Thank you for continuing to choose different varieties. Lol. I do the same.

DontPanic said:
OK!

That's it!!!

It's Official!!!

Next year, I'm going to have to grow out some PDN x 7 Pit Caramel in search of the best Jay Leno pheno I can get![/size]
That was an authentic Laugh Out Loud invoker.
I hope you do, Mitch!
Before we know it, Don't Panic will have stabilized the 7 Pot Leno.

I've got a few additions to my container grow.

There were still a few scrawny survivors from last years stump pepper patch.

I already had a thread going on that here if you're curious about the background on why these pepper plants look soooo bad:

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/71046-stump-peppers/

Here's a few pictures showing them as they are now, in all their glory.  They're actually a year and a half old.

Let's see where they go from here...

whWkse8.jpg

kzAdnwB.jpg

Most interesting, Mitch. Your Stump Glog was a fun read,

June has seen slow but steady progress in my garden.

While I'm not getting buried in peppers, most everything is looking healthy.

These pictures are about a week old.  Many of peppers that are green in these pictures are starting to ripen.

Here's my South-East raised bed.  It's about to bury me in Small Orange Thai peppers.

3EpcMd9.jpg

My Mid-South raised bed is mostly chinense peppers.  It may not give much of an early harvest, so I'm happy just to keep it looking healthy for now.

2GUvQ0w.jpg

My South-West raised bed gets a lot of shade, but given the area I have available for raised beds, I have to make do.  It makes it easier to maintain in the hot months, but these plants usually give me a smaller harvest.

cPDjVyN.jpg

My North Fence-line raised bed probably gets the most sun.  Everything is doing pretty good right now, but I'm curious to see how it handles the late summer heat.

HJAf08P.jpg

This pepper is supposed to be a Sri Lankan Chili Red from last years saved seeds.  But it looks like it crossed with something else in my garden.  The bottom of the pepper is lobed instead of pointy.

KPL1G72.jpg

For right now, I'm calling this a "Bumpy-Bottomed Sri Lankan Chili Red".  I'm curious to see how this one tastes when it gets ripe.

Here's another surprise cross.  This was supposed to be a Jamaican Yellow Mushroom, but it throwing out some big elongated peppers.

hVG8lGD.jpg

For right now, I'm calling this pepper a "Large Jax" (with the 'x' indicating it's a Jamaican Yellow Mushroom Cross).

One of my stump peppers didn't make it, but the two stump pepper plants in this pot are beginning to take to their new home.  They are much happier than when they were stuck next to that stump.

xpXOo7C.jpg

This is the first year I've had this many surprise crosses.  It's definitely going to present a dilemma when I have to narrow down my grow list for next year.

Plants are looking great. That slcr seems to have a tendency to cross very easily. Hopefully you have an enjoyable cross with that one and jax. The stump pepper is looking happy now we just gotta see what it actually is

Back