• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Don't these babies look great!

Current photo, my tomatoes are doing far better than my peppers under the same conditions.

I am not sure about the yellowing of my peppers, over watering, too much light, insufficient nutrients, salt in the tap water?????????????

4422348807_1065ea44dc_o.jpg

4422349109_0195ed4bf1_o.jpg

4423127870_2b48d9f8fb_o.jpg

4423128298_da74a1f161_o.jpg

Your tomatoes do look great.

I wish I could be some help on the yellowing but I have been luck not to have a problem like that. That being said if it was me, I think I would look at the lighting. Nothing more than a guess.

It is hard to say what they need/want. I am sure its not too much light, I have left my lights on 24/7 for 2 weeks and they didnt yellow up like that. Are you fertilizing them? Your soil looks a little wet to me though.

The lights have been on continuously, and the last week I have put them in the sun at lunch and brought them in at night.

I fertilized once with Miracle Grow at 1/2 strength since they sprouted and once this week at 1/4 strength.

I think I overwatered.

And I am sure there is too much salt in our tap water, it leaves white deposits on our iron.

If you think it is possible that they have too much salt, get some bottled water and try flushing them. I wouldnt fertilize them again until they have 2-3 sets of true leaves and then only 1/4 strength. I have been using 1/4 strength on most my plants so far and they seem to be doing well.

This seems like a simple enough way to knock out one of the possible problems.

Matt50680 said:
If you think it is possible that they have too much salt, get some bottled water and try flushing them. I wouldnt fertilize them again until they have 2-3 sets of true leaves and then only 1/4 strength. I have been using 1/4 strength on most my plants so far and they seem to be doing well.

What seems weird to me is how it seems to be localized to one spot. Or did you rearrange them for the Pic?

I have not moved them in weeks, when I fertilized last week I did use filtered water from my Brita pitcher.

I will use lake water once they are moved outside.

Yellow leaves are a symtom of N deficiency. Unless your medium is sterile (no nute value) or old, I would lean towards they've been overfertilized, even though I don't see any burning. Or overwatering. Flushing seems weird on an overwatered plant, but is a good idea if there is too much of anything (like fertilizer) in the soil.

Not sure what your water is like, but excess salt (as you alluded to) is always bad and can be exacerbated by too much fertilizin' depending on the what is in the fert.

Only a few look pretty yellow. I wouldn't trip out too much yet.

SV...I forget where in Texas you are, but I use tap water up here in Fort Worth and have noticed very little difference in the plants using rain water or using tap water...I usually let the tap water stand overnight before using to let the excess chlorine come off...but sometimes when I am watering/feeding, I will use it right away...

get you a small water test kit and check the pH of your water...if it is too alkaline, that could be the reason for your peppers yellowing...once the ph of your soil gets above 7, the soluability of the different elements the plants need is reduced....here ia a link to a pretty good article that gives a better explanation and two of the items your plants really need, Calcium and Magnesium start decreasing at 7.....you can have all the nutrients required for plant growth in the soil and if the ph is off, you are beating a dead horse...they just won't ionize...

http://www.extension.org/pages/Soil_pH_and_Nutrient_Availability

everyone has their own way of doing things, but my plants start getting fed about a week after they sprout...I feed them 1/2 strength Botanicare products...then when they get transplanted to 3" containers (about three weeks for annuums and 4-5 weeks for chinense), they get full strength...

IMO you definitely have a nutrient deficiency/balance issue...your best friend is epsom salt foliar feed (1 Tbsp per gallon of water) - this provides the required magnesium directly to the leaves and can be absorbed thru the stomata...as far as nitrogen goes...

bottom line IMO, the plants look like they are starving to me...give them a shot of nitrogen along with the epsom salt foliar feed and see if they don't change their look in a week...

are those Jalapenos?

Excellent point on the pH AJ. And +1 on the chlorine evaporation. I always do that unless it is an emergency, like a wilted plant in midday sun.

thanks boutros...just trying to help out...

I am in College Station, and I have heard there is a lot of salt in the water; it is most definitely soft water.

I will check the PH on the tap water, I will also switch to the Brita filtered water until I get the PH checked.

I labeled the pepper.

Thanks for all the help!

4427700055_448cce77c2_o.jpg

just did a little research for you SV and it seems the ph of your tap water is way high and needs to be lowered....here is a link to the college station 2008 water test results...notice pH of 8.3..this could be the root of your problem...not saying it totally is, but it could be one of the causative factors...

http://www.cstx.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=5121

Thank you AJ, I receive water from Wellborn SUD but they posted a similar document listing PH of 8.3 and Sodium of 234, slightly higher than CoCS on the sodium.

I could not determine if my Brita filter or the Zero Water filter removes sodium so for now I will pull water from the lake.

I had similar yellowing on my red savinas and marouga red seedlings. Not sure why just these 2, maybe they are just more sensitive. I went and bought a PH test kit from a local hydro shop and started to adjust my water's ph down to between 6 and 6.5 and they have started to put on good green growth. My water started at about 7.5. The kit costs less than $20 and will last more than a year as I only need about 1ml to bring the PH down. It is definately worth the price to me. But if you add fertilizer to your water, check the ph after you add them as this will change the ph as well. When I started to fetilize using botanicare pure blend pro, it brought the ph of the water down to about 5.8, so I had to increase the ph a little to bring back to the range I want it.

Here is a link to the one I got: http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=532&navid=55

Good luck!
jacob

I have two threads with the information below but is answers the same questions in both threads.

And an update, the Lumbre with the really yellow leaves appear to have two new leaves and they are light green, I will post a picture tonight.

I mixed lake water with 1/2 strength Miracle Grow until I sort out the PH of the city water. I am also looking at irrigation pumps, I can buy a small one for get water to the peppers but I probably need to go big and use the pump for the yard. I think the city water may be partially to blame for my poor lawn. Several intense summers with a lot of city water is probably to blame.

Back