• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Double cup set up and roots.

Ive got a few plants that have roots starting to come out of the drain holes in my double solo cup set up. Should I pot these up, or are they good for a little longer yet? They arent hanging out all crazy like and are looking really good and healthy. The plants are just about over a month old, and theyre looking really healthy too.

Thanks!

It sounds like they may be ready to pot up, and that might be best if you want to maximize growth. But if they are still looking really healthy, as you say, then you can probably wait a bit longer if you need to conserve space for a while longer or whatever. I have plants that are 2 months old in solo cups and they are very healthy and robust. This is why I use a clear plastic inner cup on my double cup set up. This makes it a snap to check the root development of each seedling; no need for me to try and guess if they are getting too root bound or if they are still OK.

9FfboZ4.jpg

5CPAO2d.jpg

mpicante said:
Id pot it up a bit.Great looking plant Will, what is this one?
Im going to have to figure my space more quick than anticipated. Im having a derr moment, and I just grabbed a random to snap a quick pic, but I think its the Braz. reaper.

Mine do this, sometimes when they are still very young. I don't usually pot up just because there are roots coming out the bottom. It does that because there is water in the cup underneath and it reaches really far for it. If you are ready to pot up, I would still do it based on the size of your plants

I added vertical holes (like claw marks) on the sides of the cup in order for the roots to get some air. I also cut some lines at the side of the bottom (bottom wedges(?) - I don't know the spelling) which I saw in one of Khang Starr's videos.

I keep my plants in solo cup size containers until they go outside, sometimes that means they spend up to four months in there. As long as they stay watered and fed, they rarely show ill effects. They explode after they go outside.

kartupelis said:
I added vertical holes (like claw marks) on the sides of the cup in order for the roots to get some air. I also cut some lines at the side of the bottom (bottom wedges(?) - I don't know the spelling) which I saw in one of Khang Starr's videos.
Exact same vids I watched. I like that guy.The way I did mine was making a hole in the center and then snipped each corner.I made this post because wasnt his roots out like crazy through the holes?

hmm. you know those little plastic things that look like tiny tables that pizza places put in the middle of the pie to make sure the box doesnt smoosh down onto it? i bet you could trim down the "legs" of a couple and put them into the bottom cup upside down to create a little larger gap. back to amazon....lol.

Back