• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Double plants

Aw Willard, you are such a spoil sport. You don't want to let the kids frolic and play a bit first? Yeah, I guess you should separate them before they start getting into trouble together. :mope: :mope:

I had a late start on separaring some Chimayo plants one time, I ened up just cutting the tangled mess in half and transplanting them both. I got lucky, they both survived the butcher style separation.
Save the planet... it's the only one with peppers.

Or you can be cavalier and see what happens - just move them to a bigger pot to allow for double root growth. Some have done this successfully - it's up to you, of course.

Good question. Growing out single plants and seeing how bushy certain types can get, I've always wondered what happens when they grow right next to each other. I'm sure it happens often enough with wild plants.

Normally I try not to start 2 in the same pot if I know somewhere down the line they are gona have to be seperated. Alot of my smaller types 2 ft and smaller can fit together in a large pot for the season. If its a transplanting stage waitin for later planting in the gardens (usually stay in those for a month or 2) I'll place up to 3 in a 1 gallon pot. I use jiffy pellets for my start. Sometimes a couple of seeds wind up in one pellet. When that happens I get to play God and kill till theres only one. Leaving them together only creates conflict for food and light. My best advice is either seperate or kill one-I've raised peppers together (small pot) and they just pretty much amount to only one plants production in the end.

Back