• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Douglah VS Trinidad Scorpion

douglahVSscorpions.png

Well, had to do it.

I descided the only way to find out which was hotter was to eat both of these pods.

steps taken:-

Put whole pod in mouth
Chew it all up for 5 to 10 seconds
Swallow.

Results

Trinidad scorpion - Well oh my....this hurt real bad. Milk did nothing to stem the sting. Pain subsided after 15 minutes. a bit of abdominal discomfort for a few hours later.

Douglah - What the....ahh crud my mouth has has been assulted by razor weilding ninjas. 30 minutes later - still hurting with no easing up.
1 hour later...getting better, but severe abdominal pail.
Another hour and still bad stomach pains with throwing up.
Pain subsides after about 3 hours. Ate some greasy food to stop stomach pain.

I think the Douglah wins. I'm going to ask Marcel from the Chili Factory if he would like to apply his growing style to the douglah strain and test em. I would not be surprised that in the same conditions that the Butch T's where grown and tested ,the douglah would beat the world record.

After that description, I'm glad that there's no accompanying video!! Ummmmm...when throwing up, doesn't the throat/mouth burn start all over again? Double jeopardy at its' worse!!

I still find the original Trinidad scorpion-BT to be hotter personally, and HPLC testing so far has agreed with my taste buds. The one thing I've noticed is that there seems to be several different strains of both douglahs and Butch T scorpions going around the trading circles these days :(

I still find the original Trinidad scorpion-BT to be hotter personally, and HPLC testing so far has agreed with my taste buds. The one thing I've noticed is that there seems to be several different strains of both douglahs and Butch T scorpions going around the trading circles these days :(
Thats why I said get the chilli factory to grow and test. HPLC testing from their farm produced much hotter results than previous testing.

Here's an extract from the website:-

About our tests:
Report from the lab with the results…
Even our BHUT which we grow here on our property, which is the Jolokia or Ghost chilli and previous world record holder, is hotter than the “original” world record of the same chilli (we scored: 1,110,900 SHU).
We found that the better you treat your chillies the hotter they get!!
As a sample see report from lab… it says Bhut Hothouse ….The Bhuts from the hothouse had it too hot when heatwave came across the Hunter and you can see that they get a less hot rating straight away… too much suffering and they do not like that at all…Very sensitive and need lots of attention and worm juice offcourse!
Mark Peacock knows much more about this … it is his kind of field but also on-line some various sources state actually the same as we found while growing our chillies for the past 3 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_Naga
The effect of climate on the Scoville rating of Bhut Jolokia peppers is dramatic. A 2005 study comparing percentage availability of capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin in Bhut Jolokia peppers grown in Tezpur (Assam) and Gwalior (Madhya Pradesh), India showed that the heat of the pepper is decreased by over 50% in Gwalior's more arid climate.[sup][23][/sup] Elsewhere in India, scientists at Manipur University measured Bhut Jolokia's average Scoville rating by HPLC at only 329,100 SHU.[sup][20][/sup]

Yes, every climate is going to be different which is why in my opinion any real tests/comparisons should be made with several super-hot chiles grown in the same environment, with same nutrients, and conditions. Testing done in NewMexico apparently showed the Scorpion to consistantly average hotter than the douglah in SHU.

Yes, every climate is going to be different which is why in my opinion any real tests/comparisons should be made with several super-hot chiles grown in the same environment, with same nutrients, and conditions. Testing done in NewMexico apparently showed the Scorpion to consistantly average hotter than the douglah in SHU.

All i can tell you is this. I went the whole pod on both. I made sure the scorpion was red, round and plump with the little stinger and all (and was the butch T from the hippie seed co). Don't get me wrong the heat was likened to a sudden strike that hit me like a sucker punch. Then after 15 minutes all was bareable.

The Douglah was half the size and really really hurt me bad for a long time. I ate a quater of one last year and remembered it was a pain train ride as well.

A freind of mine at work agree's as he tried a similar test and noted the real persistant hard burn the Douglah gave.

Maybe it not the consetration but type of capsaicinoid compound mix that does me in.

I'm not saying you're wrong, its very subjective especially when eating pods fresh. I'm just giving my own personal opinion as well as some SHU test results. I use pods more in cooking these days then fresh but over the last 4 years or so I've tried plenty of BTs and Douglahs and they are both killer hot although neither are on my favorite list for flavor.

I'm not saying you're wrong, its very subjective especially when eating pods fresh. I'm just giving my own personal opinion as well as some SHU test results. I use pods more in cooking these days then fresh but over the last 4 years or so I've tried plenty of BTs and Douglahs and they are both killer hot although neither are on my favorite list for flavor.

Yeah I hear ya LOL...It seems the burn factor is all there good for. My favourites so far are the Jonah, Bonda ma Jaques and Lemon Aji's

The one thing I've noticed is that there seems to be several different strains of both douglahs and Butch T scorpions going around the trading circles these days :(

I've noticed that too. I've seen lots of smooth skinned pods called Douglah. And lots of gnarly pods of all different shapes and sizes called the same thing. All I can say is the Douglahs I grew last year hurt me more than any Scorpion I have tried. That being said, it is entirely possible I haven't tried a true ButchT yet. I'm growing both strains from a few sources each this year, so I'll see what I get!

http://pepperlover.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=111&category_id=7&keyword=DOUGLAH&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=4

On this topic though, I would have to say that the TS was hotter IMO. The Douglah has that nasty battery acid taste, but the TS (ButchT) broke my face. I had trouble talking through it on the vid, and honestly, if I weren't making a video I would have crawled in a corner and begged it to stop. I have had the worst stomach pain with a Chocolate Bhut, BUT I think the stomach pain has more to do with the food you ate during the day and if you prepped with milk, banana, peanut butter, etc beforehand.

Just my .02

I've noticed that too. I've seen lots of smooth skinned pods called Douglah. And lots of gnarly pods of all different shapes and sizes called the same thing. All I can say is the Douglahs I grew last year hurt me more than any Scorpion I have tried. That being said, it is entirely possible I haven't tried a true ButchT yet. I'm growing both strains from a few sources each this year, so I'll see what I get!

Although there are different types going around, the shape/smoothness of the douglah pod seems to be directly related to the environment. My regular pods are usually smooth but my greenhouse douglahs are always way more gnarly

the douglahs i have grown have been without a doubt hotter than the scorpions (or bhuts for that matter)... taste like hell though.

How is there different strains of the Butch T??? Is that possible???? already????

Back