• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

chinense Douglah VS Trinidad Scorpion

How is there different strains of the Butch T??? Is that possible???? already????
It all starts when someone thinks they have a real Butch T, and then spread the seeds out to others labeled incorrectly. The same thing has happening with the douglah and many other varieties

I just tried a 2mm wide slice of my first ripe BT pod, no placenta, It was EXTREME, definitly more heat than my TS regs!!! I may have to try a Douglah, Hwo to buy or trade with for seed HMMMM.

I have tried both - fresh pods obtained from Pepperlover. Although I have only been in the "superhots" for less than a year, I have eaten chiles since the '60's. Both were extremely hot, but I like the flavor of the Douglah more than the Butch T. It was more complex and had some nice smokey undertones. My comparison was from endo of season pods, so that may have contributed to the effects.

It all starts when someone thinks they have a real Butch T, and then spread the seeds out to others labeled incorrectly. The same thing has happening with the douglah and many other varieties

they don't even have to be in error in thinking they have a butch t... pretty much all of us are trading OP seed (and many vendors are selling them)... hell, i've got OP butch t seed from 6 different sources at this point....

Butch T + OP doesn't necessarily = Butch T

Ah yes, Mine came from Nova (thus from THSC)

they don't even have to be in error in thinking they have a butch t... pretty much all of us are trading OP seed (and many vendors are selling them)... hell, i've got OP butch t seed from 6 different sources at this point....

Just forewarding of my previous...Mine are Butchies. Got em of Novacastrian. And yes they really hut me bad dont get me wrong. But I have eaten 2 pods whole so far and they are still not as hurtfull as the Douglahs. My ol pal Steve also ate both in the same evening and a few weeks before....and whole pods - not sectioned, sauced, dehyfrated etc. Straight of the bush and in the gob. Steve also agrees - the Douglahs I have hurt more. I dont know about scoville this and lab test that - the mouth tells the story here. Furthermore, these hurt berries arent little runty things hanging of sick little bushes either. My plants are between 4 and 7 foot, lush green and large golf ball sized pods.

DSCN3262.jpg

Well I will tell all of you this. My experience was Butch T was REALLY hot, stupid hot, BUT!! The Douglah!!! I really almost blacked out, my friend almost passed out, it felt like the Douglah took me into the after life and back. haha. The face and mouth burn was unreal, body high and then BOOM!!! the stomach, could have done without that. My stomach wasn't the same for a month from the Douglah. WINNER by TKO the Douglah

Open pollinated does not neccessarily mean not isolated, but I do know what you are saying

right... i can isolate around 10 OP varieties on my farm if i set them out in just the right places... this is on 900 acres.
the vast majority of OP seed is not isolated however... very few folks grow only one type of pepper or have the space to separate varieties by 1/2 mile.

Like all of you are saying I believe that there are tons of varieties of both the douglah and the BT. Heat can change based on so many factors as well, and genetics is only a fraction of what influences a peppers heat. I think that the douglah has one of the widest ranges of pod phenotypes that I've ever seen. I see longer pods, rounder pods, distorted pods, brown pods, maroon pods, big pods, little pods...

I don't believe that you can say difinitively which is hotter, but you can analyze two plants and say which is producing hotter pods. That really doesn't say much at all. Not only that, a liquid chromatography test done in a lab will give you a really good estimate of the heat, but it doesn't say anything about the ratio of different capsaicinoids contained within. Each person will react differently to different types of heat from each chemical.

Also, having grown superhots for the first time last year, I think the pods I ate varied greatly in heat. I had one pod that I could take bites of and tolerate (although it was really hot), but my hottest pod of the year left me burning for a longg time after just a little nibble.

The best thing we can do I think is stop focusing on which pod is the hottest and eat what we enjoy.

Well I will tell all of you this. My experience was Butch T was REALLY hot, stupid hot, BUT!! The Douglah!!! I really almost blacked out, my friend almost passed out, it felt like the Douglah took me into the after life and back. haha. The face and mouth burn was unreal, body high and then BOOM!!! the stomach, could have done without that. My stomach wasn't the same for a month from the Douglah. WINNER by TKO the Douglah
wow gotta try this douglah!!!!

I've grown them both for several years and I really don't enjoy either one for flavor. I still have scorpion pods/powder from 2007 that I may never use.
Other than 1 overwintered BT, I likely won't be growing them again

I separate my individual containers and net to keep insects out and they get set 30 feet upwind from the garden. The houses and trees create a wind tunnel in effect and only one storm has blown the other way and that was when a tornado touched down 5 miles away. I plan on using this method to isolate a Douglah this coming season.

right... i can isolate around 10 OP varieties on my farm if i set them out in just the right places... this is on 900 acres.
the vast majority of OP seed is not isolated however... very few folks grow only one type of pepper or have the space to separate varieties by 1/2 mile.
I separate my individual containers and net to keep insects out and they get set 30 feet upwind from the garden. The houses and trees create a wind tunnel in effect and only one storm has blown the other way and that was when a tornado touched down 5 miles away. I plan on using this method to isolate a Douglah this coming season.

Since out-crossing is primarily associated with insects and not rain or wind (HORTSCIENCE 28(10):1053. 1993), it's sufficient to isolate your seed plants with an insect-barrier plant cage. "This type of cage is being used to increase and evaluate portions of the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Capsicum germplasm accessions and breeding stocks of the New Mexico chile breeding program." (same reference) This is how I plan to isolate mine this year, using Agribon 15 on a PVC frame. NMSU CPI has used this method in the past (don't know about current practices there) and I believe this is how Judy at pepperlover.com isolates her plants, though I'll leave it to her to confirm or deny this. Anyone else here use this technique?

Since out-crossing is primarily associated with insects and not rain or wind (HORTSCIENCE 28(10):1053. 1993), it's sufficient to isolate your seed plants with an insect-barrier plant cage. "This type of cage is being used to increase and evaluate portions of the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture Capsicum germplasm accessions and breeding stocks of the New Mexico chile breeding program." (same reference) This is how I plan to isolate mine this year, using Agribon 15 on a PVC frame. NMSU CPI has used this method in the past (don't know about current practices there) and I believe this is how Judy at pepperlover.com isolates her plants, though I'll leave it to her to confirm or deny this. Anyone else here use this technique?

I have also been using Agribon to isolate plants for a few years now. I haven't seen anything to suggest I have had any crosses grown out of my seed stock.

Y'all do know that if you pm Butch T he will send a few seeds for your personal use for free? Nova & Hippy have em too, if you want more than a few contact Neil!

One more thing. if you only chewed them for 10-15 seconds there is no way you got the full effect of the Trinidad Scorpion BT, it
gives you the immediate burn then adds to it for about 20- 30 minutes and if you eat any other pod behind it you will have a hard
time detecting how hot it is due your pain receptors being shut down (I once did a Trinidad Scorpion, 7 Pot Jonah, vs Bhut Jolokia test head to head)

Back