• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Downriver 2022 - Garden Adventures

Downriver

Extreme Member
Well, it's March and about time to start this Glog. My intent is to cover all things garden, sans peppers. Peppers may appear here occasionally, but they will be the star in the Downriver 2022 - Pepper Time glog.

So, I've done nothing to prep the garden this year, although the time is approaching. They're calling for 2-4 inches of snow Saturday (3/12), but after that we're looking at a week of days with highs around 60F, give or take. I expect to make some progress then. Here's some of what I'm starting with. I'm not too worried - I have until mid-May before it'll be safe to plant out.

Garden IMG_20220302_162453014.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, DR. I hope your 2-4" snow creeps across the mountain and provides a blanket for me too. Sauturday night's 22F is a little low for comfort(but I knew the risks). I don't usually put much in the ground this early , but I've got transplants of beets, cabbage and radishes that have been out a week, plus new growth on spinach, kale and cilantro that wintered over. Last year things just got too hot too quick for cool weather crops. So thought I'd err on the early side for once

Good luck 2022,
j

Downriver

Extreme Member
Haven't really done anything in the garden lately. Weather has been crappy. It was in the teens this morning. That's ok, I still have plenty of time. Looks like daytime temps are moving into 50's / 60's soon. Nice weather to work outside.

In the meantime, selected tomatoes for this year.

Tomatoes.JPG

I planted seeds on 3/22 and most were up in 4-5 days. Nice. (I only planted half the cells)

Tomato starts IMG_20220327_164121293.jpg

Probably have to re-pot in a week or so.

Next up, bean selection for this year. That's almost as hard to do as peppers lol.

skullbiker

Extreme Member
Haven't really done anything in the garden lately. Weather has been crappy. It was in the teens this morning. That's ok, I still have plenty of time. Looks like daytime temps are moving into 50's / 60's soon. Nice weather to work outside.

In the meantime, selected tomatoes for this year.

Tomatoes.JPG

I planted seeds on 3/22 and most were up in 4-5 days. Nice. (I only planted half the cells)

Tomato starts IMG_20220327_164121293.jpg

Probably have to re-pot in a week or so.

Next up, bean selection for this year. That's almost as hard to do as peppers lol.

Nice list and quick starts. 👍

Last edited:
Same weather over here cross the mountain. Wind has been brutal as usual too. Almost got a pot of onion seedling I forgot and left out.
Weather looks decent on the 14-day forcast. I haven't drop a tomato seed yet.
Bean-wise, I'm giving Trail of Tears, and maybe Contenders another try.
Have fun out there.
j

Downriver

Extreme Member
The first week of April was pretty nice weather, causing the peach trees and blueberry bushes to begin flowering. Then, the next week the weather shit the bed and turned cold again, with freeze warnings popping up. We have two young peach trees and this year was their first good bloom. Same with the blueberries. I decided I didn't want to lose the fruit if I could help it, so I decided to cover them. Ordered some covers on Amazon and got them in two days (gotta love Prime). So, we bagged all of them.

Peach tree bagged IMG_20220402_144822622~2.jpg Blueberries bagged IMG_20220402_151510648_HDR.jpg

We ended up with 5 of 7 days with freeze warnings, one in the teens. The bags stayed on for the week. We were pleased to see the blossoms still open and enjoying themselves lol.
Peach tree bagged IMG_20220402_144936050.jpg Blueberries IMG_20220416_175005475_HDR~2.jpg

The peach trees completed their bloom, but the blueberries were still going strong when another cold-front came through last weekend. Ended up covering the blueberries again from a few days. Took the bags off yesterday and they still look great!

Downriver

Extreme Member
Friggin frost again last night and tonight. Re-bagged the blueberries yesterday. Grrr.

Downriver

Extreme Member
Yepper, I took the bags off a few days later and they're still in good shape. Bloom is pretty much over and berries are starting to form. Now I got to get a net over them before they ripen and the birds eat them all lol.

I was looking at the young peach trees yesterday, and each one has about a dozen tiny peaches on them. Those frost bags sure did the trick. Now I gotta figure out how to keep the deer from eating them. :think:

Downriver

Extreme Member
Had a dead multi-trunk Slippery Bark Elm over close to the neighbors' fence that needed to come down. Called in a tree removal company to do it the right way. (If you look in the upper lefthand corner, you can see one of them up there getting ready to top that branch)

Slippery Bark Elm IMG_20220416_185810253_HDR~2.jpg Slippery Bark Elm IMG_20220504_165009968_HDR~2.jpg

I had them chip what they could into mulch. This is heading to the main pathway in the garden. That's why I posted about this tree in the first place lol.

Slippery Bark Elm IMG_20220505_180652737_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited: