• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Downriver 2022 - Pepper Time

Today is Jan 1, so time to start a Glog and THINK about what to grow. The answer is most likely somewhere in here. I'll figure it out shortly. :think:

IMG_20220101_230143914.jpg

Last edited:
Same problem here, DR, except the cool wet
Spring suck prevented progress in the early
season, so there were nothing but runts on
the peppers, wilds included.

Well, I was finally able to pick a few pods the other day - first of the season. Hopefully there's a lot more to come.

Torres Catywampus (de Arbol type from Jalisco), TepinxLemon Drop (round pheno)
Peppers IMG_20220804_164930427.jpg

Antonia P Rhomedia, TepinxLemon Drop (bullet pheno), Naga J XL cross, Dangler's Ghost
Peppers IMG_20220804_165217721~2.jpg

Those tepin x Lemondrop look great! I've tried to run them twice now and both times they failed to germinate.. Any tips? Also, how are those bullet ones? Can you describe the flavor/heat? They look pretty fruity.

Good catch on the Striped Beetles.. I know I've seen that damage here too and wondered at it, never caught them in the act like that.

My mini-red seed also didn't pop, and I only had two of them.. So I'd love to negotiate a trade for some of yours when you turn them around, if you're willing.

Those tepin x Lemondrop look great! I've tried to run them twice now and both times they failed to germinate.. Any tips? Also, how are those bullet ones? Can you describe the flavor/heat? They look pretty fruity.

Good catch on the Striped Beetles.. I know I've seen that damage here too and wondered at it, never caught them in the act like that.

My mini-red seed also didn't pop, and I only had two of them.. So I'd love to negotiate a trade for some of yours when you turn them around, if you're willing.

Thanks! My original Tepin X Lemon Drop seeds came from Trent Lawrence (@TrentL). Both phenos taste about the same, just different shapes. IIRC, the "bullet" pheno is the standard, but I like them both.

Notes from 2020 grow:

2020 – Very tall plants – close to 7 ft. Pods are RED. Two different phenotypes - a) Round, quarter size and b) long or bullet shaped – up to two inches. Both are crunchy and sweet up front, with a mild to medium heat following. Nice warmth for 10 min or so. Very prolific.

My original Rocoto - Mini Red seeds came from @PaulG. This is my first year growing it. It's growing, but not setting fruit. It's been way too hot. It'll be a crap shoot whether it will have enough time to set and mature pods once it cools off. We'll see.

Purple Thunder Mystery DR F5. I'm growing three plants. They set pods early, then the heat wave hit, and they dropped flowers. With the break in temps, I think they're starting to think about setting pods again. We'll see.

Purple Thunder 1 IMG_20220814_133120514_HDR.jpg Purple Thunder 2 IMG_20220814_133059614_HDR.jpg Purple Thunder IMG_20220814_133016379_HDR.jpg Purple Thunder 3 IMG_20220814_132950539_HDR.jpg

First time growing Shishito. Plant is productive, even through the heat wave. I've eaten a few and, quite frankly, don't see the appeal. I hear you're supposed to fry them but haven't tried that yet. Any tips?

Shishito IMG_20220814_133146246_HDR.jpg

You might recall I had a tray of plants that got too close to the light earlier this year. Fast forward to about a week ago. This is what the survivors look like now. They're not very tall - more "stocky". They are setting pods however. Should be able to harvest some before frost.

Plants burnt IMG_20220502_115934541.jpg Plants Burnt IMG_20220814_133328098_HDR.jpg

First time growing Shishito. Plant is productive, even through the heat wave. I've eaten a few and, quite frankly, don't see the appeal. I hear you're supposed to fry them but haven't tried that yet. Any tips?

Shishito IMG_20220814_133146246_HDR.jpg
I find them very similar to Spanish Padrón peppers.
Sauté either until collapsed and slightly charred. Serve
hot with a sprinkle of salt and a nice cold brew. I prefer
a lager for these.

The growth habits are very similar, as well as the flavor.
Padróns pods are a bit shorter, perhaps, and will become
large, pods with some heat if left to ripen.

Last edited:
I find them very similar to Spanish Padrón peppers.
Sauté either until collapsed and slightly charred. Serve
hot with a sprinkle of salt and a nice cold brew. I prefer
a lager for these.

The growth habits are very similar, as well as the flavor.
Padróns pods are a bit shorter, perhaps, and will become
large, pods with some heat if left to ripen.

Thanks Paul. I'll give sauteed a try.

Great haul DR!

Good to see somebody growing the seeds I put in the train last year and those pods look awesome. Did you get good germination? I'm currently growing one plant from the same set of seeds in hydro.

Back