• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Downriver 2022 - Pepper Time

Today is Jan 1, so time to start a Glog and THINK about what to grow. The answer is most likely somewhere in here. I'll figure it out shortly. :think:

IMG_20220101_230143914.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking through this year's pics and think I missed a couple towards the end, so, here we go....

Jalapenos

I grew three varieties this year, and to be honest, I'm not sure which is which anymore. So, in no particular order, here's Zapotec, Craig's Grande and Biker Billy (F1). They are now all called sriracha!

Peppers - Jalapenos IMG_20221021_150928862.jpg

Erotica Orange (@TexasHotPeppers)

Another new to me pepper from the 2021 Seed Train. Shape aside, it has the typical baccatum flavor, but without the soap taste. Good jalapeno+ heat that lingers. A little late, but good production. Will probably grow this one again.

Pepper - Erotica Orange IMG_20221111_165642600.jpg Pepper - Erotica Orange IMG_20221111_165710187.jpg Pepper - Erotica Orange IMG_20221111_165811613.jpg

Erotica Orange (@TexasHotPeppers)

Another new to me pepper from the 2021 Seed Train. Shape aside, it has the typical baccatum flavor, but without the soap taste. Good jalapeno+ heat that lingers. A little late, but good production. Will probably grow this one again.

Pepper - Erotica Orange IMG_20221111_165642600.jpg Pepper - Erotica Orange IMG_20221111_165710187.jpg Pepper - Erotica Orange IMG_20221111_165811613.jpg
Great looking pods DR and you're right about ther flavor๐Ÿ‘ŒNot sure if this is due to cross instability or local environmental growing conditions but I could sense a tiny amount of the infamous C. baccatum soapiness in mine! Unfortunately, as they take their lazy time to mature, I don't think I will be growing them in the future...

Lesya

Received seeds in a swap. I had never heard of this pepper. It's a pointy, heart-shaped, racquetball-sized sweet pepper. Thick walls, no heat at all. I didn't have any expectations, but this pepper was a nice surprise. If you're looking for a pepper with flavor and NO heat, give this one a try. I'll be growing it again!

Pepper - Lesla IMG_20221010_142506685.jpg Pepper - Lesya IMG_20221010_142412425.jpg

I bet that would be good pickled. You could add your favorite pepper powder to the brine for a little(or big) kick.

All good things must come to an end they say.

So, I think it's time to close this Glog out. Thanks to all who followed along. As a way of saying thank you, I've decided to do a simple seed giveaway to those who qualify*. I collect seeds for most everything I grow. If there's something in this Glog that interests you, just send me a PM. If I've got extra seeds, they're yours. No postage required. First come, first served. Keep in mind these seeds will be open pollinated / non-isolated. Crosses are always possible, but historically are not very common in my garden. See below to see if you qualify.

Hopefully we can do this again next Season!

Thanks for reading!

*Ways to qualify for free seed offer

1) If you posted a comment in this Glog PRIOR to this one. Thanks for your support!

OR

2) If you are currently a THP Extreme Member. Doesn't matter when you became one. Consider this offer a perk (from me) for supporting the Forum.

OR

3) As of this post, you must have been a member on The Hot Pepper for at least 3 months and have at least 50 posts to the forums. If you have not been on THP for 3 months or more and with at least 50 posts, then have a member with 6 months or more experience vouch for you.

Note: I will be making this offer in my Garden Glog as well. Give it a look!

Very generous offer. I'm interested in any Jalapenos varieties you may have. The Chile de Arbol (Jalisco) is something I'd grow. Any heatless chinense would be awesome too if you have. Looking forward to your new Glog. Thanks for spreading the love.

Thanks for reading!

*Ways to qualify for free seed offer

1) If you posted a comment in this Glog PRIOR to this one. Thanks for your support!

OR

2) If you are currently a THP Extreme Member. Doesn't matter when you became one. Consider this offer a perk (from me) for supporting the Forum.

OR

3) As of this post, you must have been a member on The Hot Pepper for at least 3 months and have at least 50 posts to the forums. If you have not been on THP for 3 months or more and with at least 50 posts, then have a member with 6 months or more experience vouch for you.
@Downriver +1 for way #2 ๐Ÿ‘Œ ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿค˜

Very generous offer. I'm interested in any Jalapenos varieties you may have. The Chile de Arbol (Jalisco) is something I'd grow. Any heatless chinense would be awesome too if you have. Looking forward to your new Glog. Thanks for spreading the love.

My favorite jalapeno continues to be Biker Billy (F1), probably for ten years now. Every year I grow BB, plus one or two new-to-me jalapenos, looking for a new winner. I've probably grown 15 different ones, and nothing has beaten out Biker Billy....yet.

I'll have to see what I have for heatless chinense. Don't remember any off the top of my head.

DM your info.

Biker Billy might be exactly what I'm looking for. Years ago I had what I considered the "perfect" Jalapeno, It was med sized with medium to hot heat level, plant was super productive and flavor was on point, but then I lost the seeds. Since then no other Jalapeno has been able to compare. I can't wait to give Biker Billy a try.
Sending DM ๐Ÿ˜€

Last edited:
Back