• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

I'm going to wait until all the green goes away, then three or four days, before I pick it.  Look for my thread linking to a YouTube video review, sometime next week!

I'm not 100% sure that this Cross (Most likely Aji Cereza X Bode Amarella) is supposed to ripen yellow, but I realized that I can tell the difference between hot yellow and hot red peppers (hopefully this has some heat!) so I am going to taste it (look for a review either late tonight or tomorrow night!) to make the determination.  If it tastes like a hot yellow pepper, then I will pick the other two pods

I picked the other two pods, as from the taste, it is clearly a yellow pepper.  I started a video of me eating it, but was hurting so much, that I gave up on it.  This knocked me harder than the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Blend.  It did have good concentrated flavor though.  I'm tasting the sweetness now, after the pain has subsided.  It reminds me of a Yellow 7.

GnomeGrown said:
No cross review?  :mope:
I was planning on it.  I started a video.  I got scared when I cut it open to save some seeds and smelled it—it was nasty hot.  I put the whole pod in my mouth, chewed thoroughly and swallowed it. This was hotter than the TSMB that I reviewed!  After less than a minute, I stopped the recording and ran to the refrigerator, reaching for the little bit of the peanut butter that I had left.  In addition to the burning coal feeling in the back of my throat and overall mouth pain, my nose hurt and my eyes were watering, as I accidentally touched the pod to my face when I smelled it.

I kept my eyes closed shut for a while while I teared hard and hyperventilated.  After the pain subsided, I was able to taste the decently concentrated flavor.  It reminded me of a yellow 7 Pod, but a little less flavorful. 

I sent the other full sized pod to a THP member who will be reviewing it - Probably before the weekend. 

It is fascinating how the cross between two non-deadly hot peppers produced this monster!

You can't tell from the photo, but the Aji Cereza X Bode Amarella plant is starting to get a lot of buds again.  It must have had at least 100 flowers a few months ago, but there was heat wave in NY.  I was away, and without any air conditioning it was 100+ in my apartment and most fell off.  With the cooler weather coming up, hopefully I will soon have tons of flowers and tons of pods!

Excellent lil yellow pods, i find it strange that that pod was hotter than the TMSB should be the other way around ya think... but who knows how one pod will stack up to another pod.. keep on growing Dragon..

With my cross getting new pods, I’ve got the fever.  I’m trying to sprout one of the seeds that I saved from one of the Aji Cereza x Bode Amarella pods.  It probably won’t grow true, but I don’t care—it may even be a further cross with a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion!

The Pods on the Aji Cereza x Bode Amarella Cross are looking good and getting bigger:

The Trinidad Moruga Scorpion is looking healthy, BUT only a few flowers.

Back