• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

The Peppers are all F4 Superchiles from my own saved seed.  The first four from the left have normal Superchile characteristics, but the one on the right has different characteristics - It is a longer season pepper, thicker and hotter than normal Superchiles.

I don't see a lot of growth on the Cereza cross Pods, since the last set of pics from nine days ago. The only difference I see is some slight yellowing on the top of the pods:

GnomeGrown said:
Healthy looking plants.

Patience
Thanks,

I know I need more patience.  Waiting is hard as I'm so excited about my first cross.  I'm dying to find out what it looks like and tastes like.  I don't think the heat level will too high, as neither parent is deadly, but both were delicious with a good enough kick and I am hoping this will be delicious with a little heat as well.  It's also very exciting for me, as it it quite possible that this is the first ever Aji Cereza X Bode Amarella cross!

Ty.

At least another two weeks, probably more.  My problem is that because it is an unknown cross - I have no idea if this will start to change to orange, then red, and then ripen, or if it will ripen yellow, or change to orange and then ripen.  I don't want to pick it unripe and I don't want to let it rot on the vine.  I'll need to watch it carefully.

I can't wait to review it - Neither parent is deadly hot, but both are delicious.  I find it odd that two tiny round bird peppers produced these large pods, but I am not a geneticist. 

Back