• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

I found the first pod on the plant that I started from seed that my Aji Cereza X Bode Amarela produced. I have no idea what kind of pepper this will produce and I don't care - I'm looking forward to the results! If the Pod that produced the seed was from a flower that was pollinated from the same plant, then the F2 will certainly not be stable yet and will not grow true. The other possibility is that the flower was pollinated by a Trinidad Moruga Scorpion flower, as the plants are right on top of each other. That would produce something interesting and nasty hot!

Well I ran out of likes:(

Looks like you're doing a heck of a job in an apartment!

In NYC? I was hatched born in North Babylon, they tell me things haven't been the same since..LOL

Keep it green!

I am hesitant to pick this as I am not 100% sure whether this pepper ripens yellow or orange. When left out for a week after picking, some of these ended up closer to orange than yellow, so I may give this a week or so more on the plant to see what develops:

I hope this doesn't rot on the vine while I wait for it to turn orange.  I'm watching it closely:

Look what I just found on the Aji Cereza X Bode Amarela Cross!

This big MOFO is from a seed of the same yellow pepper that is part of this pic set.  I think it crossed with the neighbor Trinidad Moruga Scorpion—Look at the developing stinger!

Same Pod - Different angle:

I think this is the earliest development of a pod that I have ever noticed.  I saw it yesterday but couldn't get a good pic:

Back