• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dried fish as a fert?

Ok, I know this is going to sound weird... I have a couple of pounds of fish in the freezer. They are kind of dry because of the frost.
I know a lot of you use fish emulsions as a fert... If I oven-dry the fish, grind/powder it, do you think I could use it as a natural/bio fert whithout composting it?
Any thoughts?
I'm growing in 5 gallon containers so the smell is not a problem. The plants are aleready hardened off......

And I'm not sur how much to use if I do that.....

Any Ideas?

it will work, just bury the fish in the soil near the plants but dont damage the roots doing its not too close, native american indians would catch fish and put them in the soil with a corn seed, so yeah it will work

bury it a little deep so they dont stink

thanks your friend Joe

We used to bury invasive catfish with our corn, potatoes and tomatoes when I was a kid. Worked like a charm.

Just watch for ants and critters!

Doesn't Pepper-Guru make a fish tea? that's what he fed to the Gigantic Fatalii?
http://thehotpepper....rs/page__st__40

For the fish tea, I simply put the parts of fish that get discarded into a 5 gallon bucket, add rain water, aerate for a day or so, and then either store or use. I like to aerate until a great foam or head builds up. This is when you know your aerobic microbes are colonizing the heaviest.

I know I'm relatively new here, but I got to say, Pepper-Guru knows his Stuff! I read every article I can find of his.

If you have an air pump, take the fish and put it in a bucket of water with a tablespoon or so of molases and aerate it for a couple days. Use the water to feed your plants.

Doesn't Pepper-Guru make a fish tea? that's what he fed to the Gigantic Fatalii?
http://thehotpepper....rs/page__st__40

I know I'm relatively new here, but I got to say, Pepper-Guru knows his Stuff! I read every article I can find of his.

Sounds like a great idea! Do you know how much of this fish tea I should use? 2-3 tb spoons? 1 liter? I just water them with the fish tea?

If you have an air pump, take the fish and put it in a bucket of water with a tablespoon or so of molases and aerate it for a couple days. Use the water to feed your plants.

No water pump, but I'm not scared to get my hands dirty a little, thanks for your answer!

Remember how the Indians first showed the Pilgrims to plant a fish in a hole by their corn?

Nah, I don't remember, I'm not that old :party:

it will work, just bury the fish in the soil near the plants but dont damage the roots doing its not too close, native american indians would catch fish and put them in the soil with a corn seed, so yeah it will work

bury it a little deep so they dont stink

thanks your friend Joe

Ok thanks! I thought I was a ''genius'' for thinking about that! I guess i'm not.... just a little late! Thanks for the tip!

The indians wanted the animals that would come in every direction to try to un-burry the dead fish also helping themself to your crop, because they could hunt those animals. Do you want animals in your garden?

The indians wanted the animals that would come in every direction to try to un-burry the dead fish also helping themself to your crop, because they could hunt those animals. Do you want animals in your garden?

Well,I dare any animal to eat one of my peppers without dying from the heat.... Or manually....by me hahaha!

Seriously, good point but I think I will try it anyways..... If the fish is powdered, there is nothing to un-burry! (?)

i got 4 words for ya
BANG!!
SLICE
SIZZLE
YUM!!
ANIMIALS ARE YUMMY!! lol :drooling:

Back