• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Dried pepper hot sauce

I started a sauce Tuesday. I deseeded and chopped up 4 oz each of:
Dried arbol chiles
Dried California chiles
Dried New Mexico Chiles
They were all cut into 1/2" to 1" pieces, and stuffed into a one quart mason jar.

To the mason jar I added 16oz of distilled white vinegar ad 6 oz of spring water.

I'll let this sit/steep/rehydrate for 4 days. Then I'll add fresh pasillas, fresh serranos, an onion, a head of garlic (maybe jalapenos, maybe habaneros, maybe more vinegar, maybe some fruit), more water, and a bottle of Negra Modelo beer.

Everything will be cooked down, pureed, cooked, pureed, cooked pureed. Then bottled.

Will update this weekend with what other additions were added.

Worked this today. Added to the mason jar above:
5 jalapeños
5 serranos
5 yellow peppers
Whole bulb of garlic
Whole onion
A 12 oz Negra Modelo
1/2 cup distiller white vinegar
1 cup water

Blended and simmered several times.

Ran through a strainer at the end to get a nice smooth consistency.

Color is a deep dark red.
Heat is is fairly high.
Taste is surprisingly sweet.

Updated recipe and procedures (changes to formatting only)

[SIZE=medium]12/31/13:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I deseeded and chopped up 4 oz bags each of:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dried arbol chiles[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dried California chiles[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Dried New Mexico Chiles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]They were all cut into 1/2" to 1" pieces, and stuffed into a one quart mason jar.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]To the mason jar I added 16oz of distilled white vinegar ad 6 oz of spring water. It was a tight fit, the peppers had to be packed down several time.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1/11/14 (11 days later) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I deseeded and chopped:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5 jalapeños[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5 serranos[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5 yellow peppers[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Chopped:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]A whole bulb of garlic[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]A whole white onion [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]All above ingredients were pureed in a food processor (it took two batches to get it all to fit), then dumped into a pot along with:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]A 12 oz Negra Modelo beer[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1/2 cup distiller white vinegar[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]1 cup water[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Simmer, covered for at least 10 minutes, then puree in the food processor (remember to never seal hot food in a blender or food processor, use a towel to cover the opening so steam can escape.) [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Repeat the simmering and pureeing steps several times until sauce is smooth.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Ran through a strainer at the end to get a nice smooth consistency. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Color is a deep dark red. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Heat is is fairly high. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Taste is surprisingly sweet[/SIZE]

v9nDG3v.jpg

Thank you so much for posting this. I have a jar of dried peppers that has been "burning" a hole in my cabinet.... Now i know what I'm going to do!!
You have given me some great ideas :onfire:

Halbrust said:
I started a sauce Tuesday. I deseeded and chopped up 4 oz each of:
Dried arbol chiles
Dried California chiles
Dried New Mexico Chiles
They were all cut into 1/2" to 1" pieces, and stuffed into a one quart mason jar.

To the mason jar I added 16oz of distilled white vinegar ad 6 oz of spring water.

I'll let this sit/steep/rehydrate for 4 days. Then I'll add fresh pasillas, fresh serranos, an onion, a head of garlic (maybe jalapenos, maybe habaneros, maybe more vinegar, maybe some fruit), more water, and a bottle of Negra Modelo beer.

Everything will be cooked down, pureed, cooked, pureed, cooked pureed. Then bottled.

Will update this weekend with what other additions were added.
What does steeping the peppers do? When I rehydrate chiles i just boil them in water until soft it takes anywhere from 10-40 mins and get on with it. 

Don't know if it mattered at all.
It did let me break up the steps into multiple days though, so that was nice.

I also know for sure that the dried peppers were fully rehydrated.

Back