Drinking traditions

So, we all have our rituals and drinking get togethers, right? My newest one is with my friend Eric Chem. and it started out with the tv show Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicals. Every Monday we would get together and drink beer and watch the tv show. After the first episode we decided to make it better and more interesting. One week I would buy a six pack and one week he would buy a six pack.

Every monday we would watch an Arnold Schwarzenegger film and then watch Sarah Connor Chronicals while drinking and doing Arnold impressions (mine's reaaaaally spot on now as I've had much practice in California). Since the show's done with it's first season now, we are still watching his movies. To keep it simple, we are only watching the ones he stars in. So far we have watched 11 out of 29.

What's your traditions/get togethers?

I certainly don't have anything like your Arnold fan club thing, but once a year or so, 4 of my buddies and I get together and play Axis&allies and get really drunk, usually from 2 or 3 in the afternoon until 3 or 4 in the morning.

My drinking tradition these days is to show up with a cooler of my microbrews and spend half the night explaining what they are. Most of the other half is spent explaining that while I don't mind sharing,let me pour some in a cup and let's see if they like it. It annoys me no end when people insist they want one, take one sip out of a bottle, and leave the bottle on a table somewhere rather than admit they didn't like it and let me finish off the bottle.

I used to have a good quality beer drinking buddy. We'd meet up when one or the other of us had scored some of the good stuff and have a tasting. Then he fell in love, and his beloved strongly objected to us hanging out together so much. Geeez, it wasn't like she couldn't come,too; or that anything besides camaraderie was going to happen. If we were going to go all groinal, it would have happened long before he met her.

I drink alone. With nobody else...

I, too, fancy the micros and crafts. This weekend I had some Collaboration Not Litigation (from Avery), and Dogfish Heads Palo Santo Marron. I also tried the Sierra Nevada ESB. They were all very good beers and I'd buy all of them again.

Every other year, my best friend since forever comes to Alaska for 10-14 days to do some serious Halibut and Salmon fishing to stock up for his winter supply of fish and we pretty much go on a bender during that period.

Not that we count or anything like that, but we will drink 18 to 24 beers apiece per day. Go to bed, get up and do an instant replay again the next day. Guess all that exercise fishing and the Alaska saltwater air tends to make us a little thirsty. We have been doing this ever since I moved to Alaska over 30 years ago.

During most the 80's, he was coming up every year and has been to Alaska either 23 or 24 times so far.

I go outside every winter now days for some "thaw out" time
and will usually spend 3-4 days visiting him in Michigan. Most the time we don't do anything spectacular, usually just live at the local American Legion and play fishing videos on the TV for the local patrons to watch and enjoy. We actually had a couple who were there and were watching the movies ask if they could come up some time and go fishing with us. Told them sure, all they had to do is buy the beer! They actually did come a few times and might make it this summer also.

I will have 10 cases of IPA and 10 cases Alaska Amber stockpiled by the time he gets here for starters and yes, this year is the year he visits.

AKButch said:
I will have 10 cases of IPA and 10 cases Alaska Amber stockpiled by the time he gets here for starters and yes, this year is the year he visits.

Oh. I just realized you could get some Alaska Smoked Porter.

*envy*

Pam said:
Oh. I just realized you could get some Alaska Smoked Porter.

*envy*

I applaud your taste in Alaska Beer, Pam.

The "Smoked Porter" is unfortunatly one of the limited edition Alaska Brewing Company beers that's made in the fall of each year so it might be hard to find later on in the summer. :(

I was told be a "Smoked Porter" fan that the malt is actually alder smoked in Juneau by one of the fish smoker / processor plants there. Guess I will have to research that. He also told me that it ages well, kinda like fine wine, because of the smoking process and that it's best in the third and fourth year. I was like . . . . (pfft) . . . Why in the H--- would anyone just let the stuff sit around for 3-4 years. :rolleyes:

There's a reason I don't start my Alaska Brewing Company stash to soon before my friend arrives. A case of the stuff is kinda like a $100 dollar bill. Once you break into it, it goes quickly.

Some years ago we'd get together on Friday nights (me and two mates
smilie_trink_003.gif
) and watch Beavis & Butthead followed by Headbanger's Ball before hitting our fave bar. That was quite a while ago (obviously!).....

atm I can't think of any rituals.... does having a few cold beers while cooking chili count as a ritual???

smilie_trink_172.gif

Chiliac said:
Some years ago we'd get together on Friday nights (me and two mates
smilie_trink_003.gif
) and watch Beavis & Butthead followed by Headbanger's Ball before hitting our fave bar. That was quite a while ago (obviously!).....

atm I can't think of any rituals.... does having a few cold beers while cooking chili count as a ritual???

smilie_trink_172.gif

Ya, the chili doesn't count, but boy, do I remember those shows....wow, feels like such a long time ago...oh wait...it was :lol:

imaguitargod said:
Ya, the chili doesn't count, but boy, do I remember those shows....wow, feels like such a long time ago...oh wait...it was :lol:

Told ya! :)

The more you think about it, the longer ago it seems!!!

I do have a tasting of my homebrew from time to time. That is a lot of fun, and I love to get reviews from really nice people who don't have a clue about good beer.;)

C'mon IGG.... I know you've been to a wrap party or two.

This whole past week was like a wrap party...every night. 90% of the movie crew was down at the bar getting stinky!!!

I had too much work to do after shooting wrapped for the day, so I only went down for two nights. The final night we were down there, one of the actors walks in, slaps his AMEX Gold Card on the bar and says that he has got the entire crew's bar tab for the rest of the evening.

DevilDuck said:
The final night we were down there, one of the actors walks in, slaps his AMEX Gold Card on the bar and says that he has got the entire crew's bar tab for the rest of the evening.

Oh Man..I gotta get in on this gig lol

I participated in that unfortunate tradition of "Damn, the beer is going down smoothly tonight" last night.

This morning I am participating in the traditional "God, I feel like shit".

Don't worry Pam, 3 o'clock in the afternoon is that magic time when all hangover symptoms suddenly disappear, including "the bottom of the birdcage mouth".

DevilDuck said:
C'mon IGG.... I know you've been to a wrap party or two.
Oh ya I've been to a few. Boy do the drinks flow.

Pam said:
I participated in that unfortunate tradition of "Damn, the beer is going down smoothly tonight" last night.

This morning I am participating in the traditional "God, I feel like shit".

I find you never get a hang over if you don't stop drinking. DD knows what I'm talking about.

Back