Drying peppers

I recently removed a bunch of seed from dried halves by just popping it out with a spoon. It came out much easier than using a knife on a fresh pod. The seeds germinated fine, so I think it's a good technique and preserved almost all the flesh. Winnowing would work great too I'm sure.

Cut pods in 1/2 to remove seeds if keeping for planting, if not leave seeds but still cut in 1/2 (to much extra labour), place on trays and dry them. Once dry, break out the Black and Decker coffee grinder and commence grinding and uncontrolable coughing.

Anyone seen the add for that Bubble Grinder that's 400watts on the TV commercial ? Looks like it may work well but kinda pricey.

My ten dollar coffee/spice grinder does a fantastic job.

**What the heck is "winnowing"??

My mason jar inverted on a blender works equally well. ;)

Winnowing is the act of separating grain from the chaff. I'm sure you've witnessed folks on the discovery channel beating wheat and tossing it into the air using a tarp to let the wind carry away the lighter chaff, leaving the grain behind. That's the old way of doing it. :)

My mason jar inverted on a blender works equally well. ;)

Winnowing is the act of separating grain from the chaff. I'm sure you've witnessed folks on the discovery channel beating wheat and tossing it into the air using a tarp to let the wind carry away the lighter chaff, leaving the grain behind. That's the old way of doing it. :)

That would be interesting to see somebody Winnowing peppers :crazy:

If you are planning on drying peppers on a regular basis, invest in a dehydrator. We use it all the time not only for peppers but fruit and tomatoes as well. A good cheap example:

http://www.harvestessentials.com/nesco-snackmaster-express-fd-60-4-tray-dehydrator.html

For powder, halve, remove seeds (do not like seeds in anything I make with peppers, they add bitterness IMHO), dry until they are brittle and snap in two. I throw them into a magic bullet grinder that that I’ve “stolen” from wifey (she is not happy!) and pulse grind to desired consistency.

The dehydrator will handle whole NuMex pods as well; they come looking just like the ones I used to buy at the local Hispanic market. Takes about two days of non-stop running to completely dry.

No fuss, no dust, no mold, quick, seems like the only solution unless one lives in low humidity climate.

Back