• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Drying Peppers

yeah, hey that would work fine....headlines....

truck with 6 liter gas engine used for drying mans hot peppers...

A gentleman was arrested today for trying to dry hot peppers in his truck while using the airconditioner as a temperature control device. The vehicles 6 liter gasoline engine was left running to provide cooling air and dehumidification. The police smelled this odd aroma that was stinging passer-bys eyes and went to investigate finding 32 pounds of naga morich, fatalii, devils tongue, dorset naga, bhut jalokia peppers split in half on the front passenger seat, console and back seat.

The perpetrator was arrested for and charged with pepper abandonment.

More at 10.

I have not tested it IGG, but the public officials say it gets to 160 in vehicles closed up down here in the summer time...all I know is that if you get into the vehicle on sunny days here, you can not breathe....every year we lose two or three children to heat stroke due to their stupid parents leaving the children in cars with the windows up "just to run into the store for a minute"...

AlabamaJack said:
I have not tested it IGG, but the public officials say it gets to 160 in vehicles closed up down here in the summer time...all I know is that if you get into the vehicle on sunny days here, you can not breathe....every year we lose two or three children to heat stroke due to their stupid parents leaving the children in cars with the windows up "just to run into the store for a minute"...
But what if the kid was wet? Maybe the parents were just drying them out a bit.

Hey the drying in the vehicle could get exciting.I`ve got a 20 tray l`equip dehy which works great.I did 150 habs this winter and my kitchen was like a chlorine cloud had descended.lol It made getting beer a lil risky.Be careful on how cheap you go.I do about 6 to 9 pounds of jerky a week and have killed several.If you are gonna use it much upgrade if possble. Rich

Dehydrator

fineexampl said:
Does anyone use a dehydrator? Can anyone recommend a good one for about $40? I almost bought one of those Ronco ones, but chickened out. I really need a dehydrator anyway. It's a shame to have to buy herbs when you can grow them and save them. Same with peppers. I'd rather not give all my peppers away. I'd much rather dry a bunch and save them that way.

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

Although a little more expensive, this thing is great for drying anything... I do jerky, peppers, and all herbs.
The way to go!

Did you try to make rista & put those to dry on the sun they dry fast & all water drain on the and of the peppers very safe old fashion way.

I am going to try to make ristras this year with some of my crop...got plenty of anaheims, big jims, big chilis, and NuMex Sandias growing...

off to play a gig...be back about 1:30 in the morning... ***groan***

will be a rough day at work tomorrow...

cya later

imaguitargod said:
Get a tin foil pan, place pepeprs in said pan, place pan securly in you car. Simplest way to dry peppers.

That gives me an idea. Naga Morich scent would make one interesting air freshener. Maybe I'll try to market that and sell my idea to Yankee Candle Co. too.:lol:

AJ what are you planning on doing with all this powder? Will you be making rubs or just powders? I'd love to buy some from you when its ready.

I'm almost sorry to get back on topic :oops: but I have a Nesco six tray unit. It takes about two days to dry the peppers if I put them in straight from the plant. This year, I'll probably do as Omri suggested, since I have ten times as many plants: get foil trays, put the peppers in them and let them sit in the sun all day. Each day, shake the tray so they have a different side exposed. The night time moisture seems to help plants cure better, at least tobacco. After a few days, I'll finish them up in the dehydrator, though I will add another six trays.

As far as your building, AJ, as long as you turn them once a day or so, I don't think mold or such will be a concern.

Mike

POTAWIE said:
you can likely get a decent nesco in your price range and they are quite good

I second that! they're fair priced & do the job, & they'll hold up for several years (depending on your useage it might be 10 years or more ?) but whatever the case you'll get your moneys worth easily compared to a $100-$200 dehydrator.

fineexampl said:
24hrs doesn't seem like a long time to me. Maybe i'm just ignorant though. I assumed it took 2-3 days to dry stuff out.

yes, it can take several days to dry chiles or just hours. it depends on what type of chile pods you're drying, did you cut them open, are you letting the dehydrator run 24/7 while you're away or sleeping ?
many factors involved for dry time.

as for others, letting pods dry outside in the sun. this is just me but I couldnt let pods dry outside that where bugs could get in them or some bacteria or animal/insect waste getting place on/in the pod. so I'll keep drying my pods inside under controled conditions & pods that have been each checked & washed.

JayT said:
AJ what are you planning on doing with all this powder? Will you be making rubs or just powders? I'd love to buy some from you when its ready.

I am going to mix and match the powders to achieve the flavor balance I want in my chili powder. I have started making my own chili powder hoping I can get the taste, color, and heat I am looking for. That in a nutshell is why I am growing so many different varieties this year. As far as selling any goes...probably not, but sharing is a good thing. Just let me see how it goes and how much I can get this year...I know this...it takes a lot of peppers to make powder....lots....

wordwiz said:
I'm almost sorry to get back on topic :oops: but I have a Nesco six tray unit.

As far as your building, AJ, as long as you turn them once a day or so, I don't think mold or such will be a concern.

Mike

I am checking into different ways to dry my peppers...heck, I am going to smoke some to...dry them that way...

I am turning them each afternoon when I get home from work...don't know if this is going to work or not with the thicker fleshed peppers like the hungarians...they have turned kinda brown and soft....

chilehunter said:
as for others, letting pods dry outside in the sun. this is just me but I couldnt let pods dry outside that where bugs could get in them or some bacteria or animal/insect waste getting place on/in the pod. so I'll keep drying my pods inside under controled conditions & pods that have been each checked & washed.

My storage shed is new...had it put in last fall and it is almost airtight so I am not worried about insects/animals...bacteria is another worry tho...but...when I got home from work today, it was 120F (~49C) in the building.

I will just wait and see how this goes on this first batch of peppers....the nagas are being treated special....

Speaking of powders AJ. I have something to mail you. You punished me this week with you know what....payback can be a #####. :) I'd like to return the favor.

Chris

Back