• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Drying

Just wondering what everyone's favorite peppers are for drying and grounding into powder. Both flavor-wise and ease of drying (small and/or thin-skinned). I was thinking about making powders of Tabasco, Pimenta de Cheiro and ChilePlant.com's version of the Cumari (which is not the one I wanted, gotta wait till next year for it, oh well). Wanted to make some Pequin powder too, but I don't know where to get a Pequin plant. So... what are your favorite pepper powders?

I did orange habanero this year and it has nice kick and smells nice. just a light sprinkle makes the sinus' drip.
I am currently drying super hot chili and ceyenne to make a powder but need enough to fill my small coffee grinder, I don't know what its going to taste like.

I have already started to save my empty spice containers so I have a place to put the ground up powders. I suppose for me it's going to boil down to which peppers I have the most of, since it takes ALOT of peppers to make powder. I did plant 24 Bhut plants however ;)

Here is pic of the ceyenne pods before I picked them, I am also drying a Fresno for some extra body, the super hot chili was the hottest of the 3 types I am adding for my powder, followed by the ceyenne(I tasted a piece), then the fresno(the flesh had no heat but the placenta had a mild sizzle).

HPIM1796.jpg

Hmmm... actually, I have plenty of orange habanero plants this year (more than any other plant--seven of them), that does sound like it would make for an interesting drying pepper. I wonder how a little bit of habanero powder would be in tacos, instead of fresh or frozen (and thawed) ones, chopped up... I might have to try that.

I fell in love with the Trinidad Congo powder I made last year. Livens up everything you put it on. Can't eat eggs of any kind anymore without it.

Back