• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Dutch oven Impeachment cobbler

Filling:

1 large can of sliced peaches
1 bag frozen blueberris
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbls corn starch
1 Tsp. each cinnamon and ground ginger
1 Tbls vanilla extract

Gently fold all ingredients together and set aside.

Batter:

3/4 sugar
2/3 rds cup all purpose flour
1/2 Tsp salt
2 Tsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk

MIx together until smooth.

You will also need 1 stick of butter.

IMP1.jpg

Preheat Dutch oven to 350 degrees and then add in the stick of butter until melted. Also rub the butter u he side of the Dutch oven

IMP2.jpg

Pour the batter into the center of the melted butter. Do not stir

IMP3.jpg

Spoon the fruit moisture on top of the batter. Do not stir

IMP4.jpg

Place lid on Dutch oven and cook for 1:00 to 1:15

IMP5.jpg

Next time I need to remember to get vanilla ice cream as that would have really set dessert off. 

IMP6.jpg

Thanks! I’ll have to figure out which number corresponds to that. I’ve got Griswold DOs in sizes 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11, so I know I’ve got it covered. The makers, such as Griswold and Wagner, usually put the number on the bottom. If push comes to shove, I’ll measure out 4 quarts of water.

Mine too is a Griswold can't see the number thought its dark out. I don't think the size is really a factor.Probably able to do it in a 10" skillet. Just have to watch the cook time.

This one measures 10" across and 4" high.

Thanks! The top diameter nails it down. I believe that is a No. 8 oven. But you make a good point, it is all pretty flexible.

After cleaning up the Dutch oven its got  5qt stamped into it. This one was manufactured on the 50/60's after Wagner took over Griswold a its cast Wagner over Griswold, Made in USA 5QT

Thanks for the info Holly. You know your cast iron! I haven’t seen one of those late Griswold DOs. Interesting to know they stopped assigning numbers to the different sizes and went with volume.

This thread has influenced me to go to a popular website that has used products available on auction.  I need one of those DOs.  

While I have vintage cast iron do not be afraid of Lodge. I have it as well and it works a treat. If you do by used cast iron they also make lead test kits to make sure over the milennia that whateve you bought was no used to melt lead.

Also when I buy used cast iron a strip all the seasoning and redo it so I know what I put on. For striping seasoning a self cleaning oven is one good albeit stinky so is a grill. I use the BGE. Fill up the fire box light the charcoal and put the cast iron in with the vents full open and let it go until all the charcoal burns up. In the morning brush off any dust and your ready to season.  

Back