• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dwc tomatoes

What am I missing in the container...quick story they were growing well and very green until I changed the water. I experimented a little bit and left the water level lower to see if the roots would reach for the water faster. After a very hot day I get home from work to see them badly wilted. I quickly filled with more water and fertilizer and they bounced back. Ever since then the new growth is coming in all yellow while the old leaves remain green. A few sections of leaves were pruned by the plant itself and I assume thats to compensate for the damage to the roots. Anyways, here's the pic.

i434bb.jpg

I would agree with Juanitos 100% if not for what you said about them drying out and then you giving them nutrients.  Have read a dozen times never to feed a dry plant. True, leaf yellowing is often associated with low nitrogen levels.  But as Juantos pointed out it could be a problem with the nitrogen not being able to be used due to PH.  You did not mention changing your nutrient program or water source, so I question why it would go from having enough nitrogen to promote those initial perty green leaves to the yellow leaves. 

I wonder and would like Juanitos opinion, could it be some sort of nutrient lock due to feeding dry plants?  Maybe a shock that is preventing available nitrogen from being used?  Just seems like if the water and nutrients are the same, the change has to be associated with the drying out or what happened after that drying out.  Wonder if flushing and then starting again might not be the best bet.

What nutrients are you using? What is the ppm (or ec) and ph level?

That will help me help you.

But I'm going to lean towards a defiency.

IMO that is an iron / sulphur deficiency.
they sort of go hand in hand. add sulphur and iron will become available (due iron being locked out at higher PH, and sulphur lowering the ph).
add iron and the ph will drop anyway.
sulphur is the safer of the two but takes time
edit; no idea about hyrdo

I'll have to check my ph...I'm pretty new to this type of growing and just built my own setup to accommodate the last plants I didnt have room for. I'm feeding them with liquid miracle gro...just something quick I grabbed to start it..and I add a little epsom salt.

gmen16 said:
I'll have to check my ph...I'm pretty new to this type of growing and just built my own setup to accommodate the last plants I didnt have room for. I'm feeding them with liquid miracle gro...just something quick I grabbed to start it..and I add a little epsom salt.
For beginning hydro I would recommend getting some nutrients made for hydro grows. General Hydroponics sells a good cheap starter box that will last you a long time. That way when you mix  the solution the plant will have everything it needs. 

Yup GH has a good product and it lasts a long time! Also if your using tap water get ready to buy a lot of PH down

Back