• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

EarthQuake in Virginia

Felt it at work while inside one of the trains. Didnt know it was an earthquake thought someone was on the other end of the consist trying to move it :eek:

I'm in Cleveland, OH, and was in a high-rise building when it hit. We DEFINITELY felt it, and heard the girders of the building squeaking. Someone said they sounded like a bed..... Wonder what was on HIS mind! :lol:

plates on the east coast were probably letting off the strain because of the one they had in Colorado yesterday...makes sense to me that one side of the plate gets stress and the other side feels it...

glad everyone is ok

My biggest quake I've been through was a 7 something in Alaska years back. No damage or hurty's. Volcano's were scary too but eerily cool. We have no such fun down here in Tejas 'cept hurricane, tornado's and floods. Our quakes are weak fracking wannabe's thankfully.

I have been smack on top of the epicentre of a 5.6 magnitude quake. Happened when i was nine years old but i can remember it pretty good. We lived at a place called Boolaroo and were close to a mine. The old boy suspected that an explosion had occured there but we found out soon enough what had happened. When we drove into Newcastle it looked like a war zone with all the collapsed buildings and shop fronts, 13 people died and 160 were injured. Mostly at the old workers club. 4 billion dollars worth of damage.

Totally surreal experience and one that i hope never repeats around here.

Ouch, Nova.

Kind of "funny" thing - I moved to Los Angeles just in time for the Northridge quake, and while that being my first quake made it exceptionally scary for me, this one was scarier in its own way. At least you know if the building you're in, in L.A., was built with current quake code or not. Here? Are there construction codes for that here? Have a sneaking suspicion the answer is "no"......

Wudda thunk it was a "bowl 'o roo" :lol:

i was just waking up < i work night and thought my wife was home early and messing with me by shaking the bed, she does that from time to time but she wasn't there, didn't really know what to make of it and found out later from my wife when she called from work that we had it :crazy:

the last time i remembered we had anything like this was in 1993 winter, we had had alot of snow and work was called out because of it, i was in bed with my girlfriend at the time we decided to sleep in and it shook the house enough that the ice sheet on the roof slid down making a loud rumble and smashing on the ground,doubly scared the dump out of my girlfriend, she asked did we just have what i think we just had??, and i just said yup

this one was the biggest on record in our part of the county

thanks God it wasnt worse

your friend AJIJOE

:lol: I thought my wife was home early and shaking the bed too! Then there was no one there...

Sorry 'bout the tremors everyone. That was just my stomach after eating one of Justaguy's Red Fatalis. :lol: I'll try to give advanced warning next time.

I heard all about the quake,I was right across from weirton wv on the other side of the Ohio river parked on Franciscan blvd. .I knew it happened but I didn't feel anything.then I talk to my friend who was in roughly the same place and he feels the quake?

Sorry 'bout the tremors everyone. That was just my stomach after eating one of Justaguy's Red Fatalis. :lol: I'll try to give advanced warning next time.
:rofl: :rofl:

I heard all about the quake,I was right across from weirton wv on the other side of the Ohio river parked on Franciscan blvd. .I knew it happened but I didn't feel anything.then I talk to my friend who was in roughly the same place and he feels the quake?
Good shocks on your car I would guess

I was in the outer banks. Didn't feel it. Being raised in So.Cal I've been through
many earthquakes. Right now were watching this hurricane.

Back