• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

condiment Easy Black Bean and Corn Salsa

salsalady

Business Member
Here's a super easy, super yummy salsa recipe. Easy to modify to personal taste and a crowd pleaser at parties.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa

3 cans Black Beans, 15 oz, drained
1 can whole kernel Corn 15 oz, drained
2 Roma tomatoes- diced *see notes
1 small Purple Onion- diced
½ bunch Cilantro- washed, chopped
3-4 cloves Garlic- minced
2 Jalapeno- seeded, minced (add more and other peppers to taste)
¼ cup lime juice
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste *see notes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder

Mix everything together in a large bowl, flavor will get better if it sits a couple hours or overnight. ENJOY~~~
Yield- 8 cups (enough for a party! Invite the neighbors....... :dance:)

NOTES-
Briefly rinse tomatoes under hot water to remove any wax or oils that may have been put on the tomatoes to prevent mold growth during shipping.
Tomato Paste is available in re-closable tubes. Just squeeze out what you need, keep the rest in the fridge for later. Look for it in the tomato sauce/paste section of the grocery store.

We made this salsa along with a pico de gallo salsa with the Kid's 5th grade class and they LOVED it! Several children said they didn't used to like salsa, but now they do.

blkbndip1.jpg

blkbndip2.jpg

blkbndip3.jpg

blkbndip4.jpg

The above recipe is pretty mild, I geared it towards the kids, so keep that in mind for the heat level. For us grownups, we take some in a separate bowl and add a good dose of Ghost Fire hot sauce or more jalapenos. The beans tone things down quite a bit, and feel free to up the spices also. Definitely better the next day~~~

Very similar to the last black bean salsa I made except mangoes instead of corn. Rock on.

absolutely! I did a variation-on-theme for the mango throwdown (on the right).

5thgradeband050710003.jpg

Reviving this thread as I'm going to be making a big mess of this, this weekend to can. Just wanted to verify that I'm going to need to pressure can them. I think my pressure caner is set for 15 pounds and most of the sited I've seen are saying 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds. So at 15 pounds do you think 45 minutes would do it?

Cheers,
RM

That sounds about right, especially if it's pints, not quarts.  You may need to add a bit more liquid, maybe tomato juice? as the original recipe is kinda dry.

Do you want to cook your own beans or use canned?  I have another recipe that uses dried black beans cooked in a pressure cooker.  Original recipe calls for the beans to be chilled then the other stuff added and sold as a refrigerated.  But if you are going to can it, the recipe would totally work for that.

I'll check back later and look up the other recipe if you are interested, gotta get to the post office.....

There ya' go! 

post pics, yadayada~~~  You know the drill~~~  ;) 

:lol:

Thanks for the comments.  I mentioned to my husband about a post from 2010 getting revived in 2016.  He said it's karma telling me to get busy and make some frickin' black bean salsa!  :lol: 

RM, I didn't specifically answer your question,  but Yes, it does have to be pressure canned.

Back