• We welcome content that is not political, divisive, or offensive. If we feel your content leans this way or has the potential to, it may be removed at any time. A hot pepper forum is not the place for such content. Thank you for respecting the community!

Eclipse

We had around 80% coverage here, so I snapped a few pics with my phone. Definitely not high caliber, but did turn out kind of cool.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Way back in '91 we had a total eclipse over Hawaii. A bunch of us decided to camp down at a secluded beach so we could enjoy it on our terms. It rained all night but by first light it started to clear. The entire visual was amazing, you could see the corona and the flares, all that cool shit.

What really freaked me out however was what nature was doing around us. The usual bird songs got very quiet when the moon started covering the sun. The ocean waves got a little higher and I swear the tide did too. Right at the moment of full coverage the ocean just stopped making noise, it was as flat as a lake and the wind stopped blowing. I've never felt such a stillness before or after. As the sun started coming back the wind picked up, the waves came back the birds started singing and by the time the sun was 3/4 there everything seemed normal again. Wish I still had pics but they got lost.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:
well, we drove for 7 hours, got there, and it was still cloudy :mope:

this blurry little ring was the best pic i got :(

4hsPoky.jpg
Pathetic compared to the skills Dragonsfire has with the camera  I know :mope: but it was the best i got, so I thought i'd share it anyway :)

it was a fun road trip, there and back in less than 24 hours, even though the weather in Kansas and Nebraska was cloudy and rainy it was still a nice short trip, and i had fun :)

looking forward to seeing all your great pics dragonsfire 

:cheers:

Geez, you were on Kansas and didn't come by? Lol. I went to Beatrice Nebraska, and the storm was crazy on the way home

Walchit said:
Geez, you were on Kansas and didn't come by? Lol. I went to Beatrice Nebraska, and the storm was crazy on the way home
:cool:
we went to Highland Kansas, then decided to go to Falls City Nebraska and ended up watching it there
although it was fun being spontaneous and going without plans or even a final destination, I wish we had paid more attention to the weather. I still got to see it from within the band of totality :party:  the clouds just made it a bit less spectacular  :neutral:
we dont get out of state as much as we used to, so this was a nice little road trip :)

Back