• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

El Cheapo-Budget Smackdown!

Aji Chombo said:
Ok. Gotcha.

Anyone know if the contents of teabags and used Coffee grains can be used as a growing medium?

smiley-face-popcorn.gif

Aji Chombo said:
Ok. Gotcha.

Anyone know if the contents of teabags and used Coffee grains can be used as a growing medium?

Coffe grinds are quite acidid and contains up to 20% oil IIRC - but also nitrogen. I know lots of people mix it in with the dirt in their flower beds, but I don't think it would work as a growing medium in itself. The smell alone is a reason not to try it:lol:

I wouldn't use coffee/tea straight. I've heard you can use up to 25% coffee(used/brewed beans) in compost piles although from what I've read the acidity isn't much of an issue with brewed coffee. Worms seem to like it too.

Black tea is a good source of manganese if you require that but too much may interfere with uptake of other nutrients, and the grounds are likely also high in nitrogen which on its own could easily burn youryoung plants

Hmmm, would some mix of tea/coffee work, perhaps?

I've got some Rooibos somewhere in the cupboard as well...(making mad scientist face in a crowded reception. Haven't started mad scientist laugh...yet!)

Are there any articles that suggest that fresh coffee/tea helps plants in any noticeable way and if so is it the caffeine or the nutrients/minerals making the difference.
This reminds me of the old thought that birth control pills made your plants bigger

At least growing the man boobs won't worsen the depression, since you're already on anti depressants (can you imagine the vicious cycle of depression/man boob increase that would form then?) :scared:

Ta-Dah!

Here's the Decaf-Chilli Experiment!

P1010889.jpg

One bag of Decaf Tea (Used, washed and rinsed to get a fair bit of the tea out), a small SOLO brand plastic sauce cup (with lid), and an Aji Lemon Drop Seed (Courtesy of My_Key)! Plus some of the beer Almapaprika and I had at the weekend (the Black Sheep Ale was sacrificed to the Gods of Chile con Carne...along with a Chocolate Habanero)

P1010890.jpg

The final product, seed inserted. I placed it inside one of the little germinators in the boiler room. Shall see if this works. :)

Cripes! I nearly forgot to mention it.

The seeds WILL germinate in Decaf tea! It took about 12 days for the little Aji Lemon Drop to germinate, but it did! :)

Only problem is the roots didn't dig in very deep, which meant the seedling was eventually lost. :(

It might have been because I put the seed under only about 1mm of tea grounds, so perhaps putting it at a depth of 1/2 inch might be better.

But it definitely works. (you can just about see it here)

AjiLemonDropSeedling040310.jpg

Ok, pictured is the contents of a decaffeinated tea bag? Is there an advantage to doing this? Speed up germination, kill fungus, or just something different?

Just experimenting, really. There have been forum members who have discussed the pros/cons of using coffee grounds/tea grounds in compost due to the adverse effects of caffeine and other compounds found in the grounds, so decided to try it out.

Unscientifically, of course.

The seeds will germinate in decaf, but I'd probably have to do rigorous scientific testing to determine whether or not this is an advantage.

But I'm no scientist.

...just a man with a dream...:lol:

I saw the posts about the newspaper pots, they hold up really well if there are undisturbed. But there are just soggy newspaper so you can imagine the out come if you move them too much. They end up with the same problem as peat pellets, the roots will grow straight thru the newspaper. They are easily to make with a simple drinking glass.

should the ~$.50 be included for the paper? lol

Back