• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue?
    Then ask in Identification.

Epsom salt spray

I sprayed my trinidad moruga with epsom salt solution last night. I discovered this morning that the base of the stem shrinked and the plant fell over. I'm thinking that the solution is too concentrated or the plant is still too young to handle the epsom salt. Anyone knows why this is happening? Should i continue to spray them once a week like i've read in the other postings?

Did you just randomly spray it with epsom salt or did the plant show signs of deficiency that required it? How old is the plant and what was the ratio of salt to water that you used? Did you spray the plant while the sun was out?

Almost sounds like damping off. How much have you been watering them?

Agreed. Peppers don't like to stay too wet - better to let them get a tad dry before watering again. Also, damping off comes from a fungus on the surface of the soil. Suggest bottom-watering if you're not already, and don't let the moisture reach the top. For the other plants you have, try gently scraping off the upper surface of the soil to remove any existing fungus. Some suggest using a weak chamomille tea spray to stop the surface fungus.

The chart I use comes from the Epsom salt Councils web site. 1 tablespoon per 1 Gal of water, for peppers at bloom time and again 10 days later.

Thanks everyone for their valuable feedback. I sprayed it before i go to bed and i believe that i used 1 tsp per 20 ounces of water.

couldn't add picture yet.

Did you just randomly spray it with epsom salt or did the plant show signs of deficiency that required it? How old is the plant and what was the ratio of salt to water that you used? Did you spray the plant while the sun was out?

i just thought that they need epsom salt to do well. i don't see any sign of deficiency in the new plant. They're by my front window getting natural sunlight and it has been there so a long time. we haven't had any sunny days lately. Rain follows by showers and showers follow by rain, clouds and more rain.

That is WAY too frequent. I'm assuming the plant(s) is/are in pots or cups at this point. Pick up the pot or cup and feel its weight in your hands. Now walk away for a couple days, then come back and feel its weight again. Go away for another day, then go feel its weight again. You should notice it getting lighter and lighter. When it a) feels like it's almost just plant and dirt in there (very little moisture), or b) the leaves start drooping, water it again. Since you're probably not used to what the semi-waterless weight is yet, I'd suggest waiting until the leaves droop a tad the first couple of times while you're learning what the weight should be. In the meanwhile, scrape off the upper surface of dirt to remove any additional fungus. Chamomille is supposed to be an anti-fungal, so you might spray the soil lightly with that, as well.

That is WAY too frequent. I'm assuming the plant(s) is/are in pots or cups at this point. Pick up the pot or cup and feel its weight in your hands. Now walk away for a couple days, then come back and feel its weight again. Go away for another day, then go feel its weight again. You should notice it getting lighter and lighter. When it a) feels like it's almost just plant and dirt in there (very little moisture), or b) the leaves start drooping, water it again. Since you're probably not used to what the semi-waterless weight is yet, I'd suggest waiting until the leaves droop a tad the first couple of times while you're learning what the weight should be. In the meanwhile, scrape off the upper surface of dirt to remove any additional fungus. Chamomille is supposed to be an anti-fungal, so you might spray the soil lightly with that, as well.

+1. My plants are in 18oz beer cups and I water once a week at the most. Probably more like every 10 days. It really depends on the size of the container and the potting mix you are using. I go by weight unless I spot some droopage. Also bottom water them and try to keep the surface dry at all times. A fan will help dry them out a bit too.

Ah yes, the additional factors.... The temps are still cold here, so I still have the heater running in the house. I also run a fan (periodically) and a space heater (continually) in the room with the plants. The fan both helps dry out the surface and helps the stems harden. The combo of the fan, space heater, house heater and low humidity here dries the plants out quicker than muskymojo indicates for his plants - I have to water the seedlings more like every 5 days, and mine are also in 18-oz cups with holes in the bottom. But again, the soil type makes a diff, too - his soil may hold water longer than mine. I also bottom-water and try to avoid getting the surface wet. Also note some varieties seem to soak up the water faster than others - a few of my plants are more on a 4-day cycle.

As has already been mentioned, that is WAY to frequent of watering. Even in 8" pots im only watering about every 3-4 days max. I really let the soil dry out before giving them more to drink. As AJ would say...peppers don't like wet feet..

As far as epsom salt..a few tbs/gallon is about right but I have given more and things were fine. Is there a reason you gave epsom salt?

As has already been mentioned, that is WAY to frequent of watering. Even in 8" pots im only watering about every 3-4 days max. I really let the soil dry out before giving them more to drink. As AJ would say...peppers don't like wet feet..

As far as epsom salt..a few tbs/gallon is about right but I have given more and things were fine. Is there a reason you gave epsom salt?

I just thought that i need to give it epsom salt for the plant to develop roots and leaves faster. I read it on other people post to use epsom salt.

Hey FishwT, trust mmc and the othters on this one.. your epson salt solution is way to strong and possibly not even needed yet.. if the plants are small. some growers only epson near the blooming phase.. i think unless they are not looking deficient hold back for a while. Good luck my friend.. i am curious about your Oregon growing season have fam there and might need them to grow some superhots for me next year.

Hey FishwT, trust mmc and the othters on this one.. your epson salt solution is way to strong and possibly not even needed yet.. if the plants are small. some growers only epson near the blooming phase.. i think unless they are not looking deficient hold back for a while. Good luck my friend.. i am curious about your Oregon growing season have fam there and might need them to grow some superhots for me next year.

forgot to ask about your growing medium

I've had some wet and cold spring the last two years. The tomatoes and peppers usually pick up around late June or early July. The tomatoes and peppers usually do well until October and it goes downhill from then.

Back